For those who want to draft one of the top 3 QBS

Matt Leinart

Weaknesses: Durability is somewhat of a concern. Had a rotator cuff injury that forced him to miss his sophomore season in high school, tendonitis that bothered him in 2004 and required off-season surgery that shelved him in the spring of 2005. Lacks ideal speed. Not a threat to take off and run. His delivery quickness is slower than the ideal. He possesses adequate-to-good arm strength, but lacks elite NFL arm. He will not be able to fit the ball into some tight spaces that NFL quarterbacks with excellent arm strength can execute

Vincent Young

Weaknesses: His mechanics need a lot of improving. Shows a low release point and, for the most part, shot-puts the ball as a passer. A better runner than passer at this point. Does not show a good comprehension of reading defenses and making progression reads. Is extremely raw as pocket passer and will need a lot of developmental tutelage in that area in the NFL. Most of his experience has been as a shotgun quarterback in a "read-option" system. Still lacks ideal decision-making skills. Shows adequate-to-good, but not great arm strength. Tries to force things when they are not available. Must learn to better protect the football. Takes too many chances when protection is breaking down and throws too many passes up for grabs. Is impatient in the pocket. Frequently takes off too early and does not allow his receivers enough time to separate. There is also concern regarding his mental capacity due to his marginal score on the Wonderlic Test.

Jay Cutler

Weaknesses: He has a lot of room to improve in terms of his overall mechanics and consistency. He has a bit of a windmill delivery. Has a tendency to drop his arm and wind up, especially when throwing on the run. Needs to quicken his release. Will telegraph too many of his throws. Takes too many chances throwing the ball up for grabs. He can be streaky as a passer and will lose the "strike zone" too frequently. He has a tendency to throw off his back foot and force throws under pressure. He needs to become more consistent when throwing timing routes. Will release too late at times on timing routes. Needs to show more consistency when trying to get rid of the ball before the WR gets out of his break.

Next time you get the urge to draft Leinart, just think of Joey Harrington. Think back (if you're old enough) to the boatload of hype he got, how he was the next Joe Montana and Dan Marino rolled into one. A can't-miss pick!

The Lions are about to cut their can't-miss QB prodigy.

PTR

Next time you get the urge to draft Leinart, just think of Joey Harrington.  Think back (if you're old enough) to the boatload of hype he got, how he was the next Joe Montana and Dan Marino rolled into one.  A can't-miss pick!

The Lions are about to cut their can't-miss QB prodigy.

PTR

633977[/snapback]

Sorry, Promo, but do you like your bologna cold or fried? Harrington was the third overall pick in the Draft and the second QB taken. There were *plenty* of quesitons surrounding Harrington on Draft Day, particularly the fact that he had never quite lived up to expectations as a college player (remember the Heisman billboard in New York?) I defy you to find a source comparing him to Joe Montana and Dan Marino. In fact, I think that you would struggle to find a respected draft bio of Harrington that would label him "can't miss" or rate him nearly as highly as Leinart.

JDG

Matt Leinart

Weaknesses: Durability is somewhat of a concern. Had a rotator cuff injury that forced him to miss his sophomore season in high school, tendonitis that bothered him in 2004 and required off-season surgery that shelved him in the spring of 2005. Lacks ideal speed. Not a threat to take off and run. His delivery quickness is slower than the ideal. He possesses adequate-to-good arm strength, but lacks elite NFL arm. He will not be able to fit the ball into some tight spaces that NFL quarterbacks with excellent arm strength can execute

Vincent Young

Weaknesses: His mechanics need a lot of improving. Shows a low release point and, for the most part, shot-puts the ball as a passer. A better runner than passer at this point. Does not show a good comprehension of reading defenses and making progression reads. Is extremely raw as pocket passer and will need a lot of developmental tutelage in that area in the NFL. Most of his experience has been as a shotgun quarterback in a "read-option" system. Still lacks ideal decision-making skills. Shows adequate-to-good, but not great arm strength. Tries to force things when they are not available. Must learn to better protect the football. Takes too many chances when protection is breaking down and throws too many passes up for grabs. Is impatient in the pocket. Frequently takes off too early and does not allow his receivers enough time to separate. There is also concern regarding his mental capacity due to his marginal score on the Wonderlic Test.

Jay Cutler

Weaknesses: He has a lot of room to improve in terms of his overall mechanics and consistency. He has a bit of a windmill delivery. Has a tendency to drop his arm and wind up, especially when throwing on the run. Needs to quicken his release. Will telegraph too many of his throws. Takes too many chances throwing the ball up for grabs. He can be streaky as a passer and will lose the "strike zone" too frequently. He has a tendency to throw off his back foot and force throws under pressure. He needs to become more consistent when throwing timing routes. Will release too late at times on timing routes. Needs to show more consistency when trying to get rid of the ball before the WR gets out of his break.

633973[/snapback]

Poeticlaw, I encourage you to get a tape of this year's Rose Bowl, if you have not seen it already. Both QB's looked better in that game than Losman ever did in college - and that's before considering his putrid play so far in the NFL.

JDG

Matt Leinart

Vincent Young

Jay Cutler

633973[/snapback]

The question should be how are they NOT better.

Poeticlaw, I encourage you to get a tape of this year's Rose Bowl, if you have not seen it already.    Both QB's looked better in that game than Losman ever did in college - and that's before considering his putrid play so far in the NFL.

JDG

634106[/snapback]

Both QBs had better O-lines than the Bills. :lol:

But' I'm always worried about guys like LM who have the best protection in college football and can get away with things they'll never see in the pros, especially since being drafted high means they'll end up on a poor team.

Both QBs had better O-lines than the Bills.  :lol:   

But' I'm always worried about guys like LM who have the best protection in college football and can get away with things they'll never see in the pros, especially since being drafted high means they'll end up on a poor team.

634154[/snapback]

You know that statement always bugs me. Holcomb and Losman threw about the same number of passes, yet the Oline looked better (not great) with Holcomb. He got sacked far less, he completed more passes and kept drives alive, even with his rag arm, he had more yards per attempt. He made our offensive line look better, even though he has cement feet.

Maybe having a msart Qb makes you have a better line. Are any of these three the answer, that I don't know. Is Holcomb, no he doesn't have the arm to win us more then 8-9 games. I just know that everything that Losman has shown, flashes that he isn't the answer by far.

Let's see:

(1) Leinart was a national champion at USC.

(2) Vince Young was a national champion at Texas.

(3) Cutler didn't do too much in college.

(4) Losman played for a lousy Tulane team.

I'd say two of these are a step up from Losman.

Let's see:

(1) Leinart was a national champion at USC.

(2) Vince Young was a national champion at Texas.

(3) Cutler didn't do too much in college.

(4) Losman played for a lousy Tulane team.

I'd say two of these are a step up from Losman.

634160[/snapback]

Playing at the national title doesn;t ensure success.

Just cause they won a championship in college doesn't mean they are going to be a good NFL QB, Someone always has to win the championship, it just means they were better then who the played against. Under this theory (that championship means your good) Big Ben is a better Qb then Peyton Manning.

Lienart, Young, and Cutler are the top 3 QB's being offered in this years draft. Are the great, can't miss type players that are going to have Pro Bowl NFL careers or lead their teams to championships? Maybe not, it just means they are the best available coming out of college this year. Do they deserve to all be top 10 picks? depends on what other players are available

None of the three excites me. Any or all could be better than Losman, or could be worse. JP clearly has the tools to be as good as any of those guys. Would I rather have Cutler and JP or JP and Vernon Davis? Leinart and JP or JP and Mario Williams? No contest for me. After JP's 16 starts this coming season we can rethink things, and decide if he is or isn't the QB of the future, but if we spend a pick on a QB in this draft we are being silly.

Poeticlaw, I encourage you to get a tape of this year's Rose Bowl, if you have not seen it already.    Both QB's looked better in that game than Losman ever did in college - and that's before considering his putrid play so far in the NFL.

634106[/snapback]

Um, Leinart and Young were playing for Rose Bowl contenders, and Losman was with Tulane. Do you think the supporting cast makes any difference? How about the OLs? Let's compare apples to apples please.

what is funny is on friday, some idiot called from Las Vegas called in (NFL raido's Moving the chains), asking what the Bills should do, they considered all three a step up from Losman.

IMHO only Leinart is a sure thing, He is Chad Pennington arm (pre-injury) with the mind of Manning. As Long as the team that drafts him doesn't throw him into the fire they'll be fine.

Back to the idiot, and moving the chains. They feel losman doesn't have what it takes. i am not sure how they would know this, since they never seem to talk about the Bills, unless it is to make fun of them, I figured they never watched them. They suggested cutting Losman too. They are so Stupid, I mean the man has only played in a handful of games give him a chance.

However, If Leinart is there, I would have no problem drafting him.

i don't know much about JP (Tulane and Bills games are not broadcasted often around here) but what you say about Young is ridiculous... i'll never understand how people can rate QBs with their "mechanics" or what is negative in the fact that a QB is a good passer AND a good runner... as long as a qb is effective and actually wins games he can throw with his feet walking on his hands he's good for me!