Now That Pickett Isn't In The Bills' Plans...

R. Rich

Do you all think we're better off drafting a DT or two, or should we look for one of the remaining guys to be our run stuffer?

I'm not 100% sold on Haloti Ngata, but they may want to @ least consider the option of drafting him, especially if a lot of the top players are gone by our pick. My first choice was Michael Huff, then Vernon Davis, then trading down for either Tamba Hali or Manny Lawson, then Ngata. In light of recent events, I may like the idea of a trade down even more than drafting @ #8. The only problem is finding a suitable trade partner and getting good value for making the move.

Do you all think we're better off drafting a DT or two, or should we look for one of the remaining guys to be our run stuffer?

I'm not 100% sold on Haloti Ngata, but they may want to @ least consider the option of drafting him, especially if a lot of the top players are gone by our pick.  My first choice was Michael Huff, then Vernon Davis, then trading down for either Tamba Hali or Manny Lawson, then Ngata.  In light of recent events, I may like the idea of a trade down even more than drafting @ #8.  The only problem is finding a suitable trade partner and getting good value for making the move.

631095[/snapback]

Good post as always R.Rich...

The real key for the Bills trading down IMO is to have Cutler or Young available at the #8 spot...maybe that would entice a team like Minnesota to jump up to that spot and the Bills can then move down and draft Tambia. That would be the best case scenario IMO

I want to draft two DTs with the first 4 picks. Tim Anderson didn't show me a damn thing last year except that he has no business being on the field. I've heard a lot of people saying that he really improved towards the end of last year, I guess I just didn't see it because I thought his play was stil terrible by seasons end. It seems that on every play he ended up 15 yards of the line of scrimmage. I'll Ngata with the 8 pick then address the O-line with the next two picks (hopefully Mangold in the second and either a G in the third or a tackle like Whitworth). Then take another D-tackle with the second 3rd (Wroten or that kid from NC state). We haven't been able to address the lines like I thought we would through free agency and we HAVE TO do it sometime! Just my thoughts though.

I'm not 100% sold on Haloti Ngata, but they may want to @ least consider the option of drafting him, especially if a lot of the top players are gone by our pick.  My first choice was Michael Huff, then Vernon Davis, then trading down for either Tamba Hali or Manny Lawson, then Ngata.  In light of recent events, I may like the idea of a trade down even more than drafting @ #8.  The only problem is finding a suitable trade partner and getting good value for making the move.

631095[/snapback]

you are not sold on him as a player or as the best player for us? When you pick at #8 - you should be sold on the player regardless of need. Vernon Davis fits that pick in my book.

If we are looking for a great pass rusher we might go Ngata at eight in the first and then Mahelona of Tennessee in the fourth round. He is a good pass rusher who improved in his two years at Tennessee. Jason Allen may be available in the second and in my opinion may be as good as Huff.

Fill the DT tackle spots by reupping Edwards--the market will be really soft for him coming off an injury--but he has shown he can rehab well in the past and also going after Jackson or Davis.

The Brick will be gone so no OL at #8...draft interior OL and a promisng tackle in the second and third rounds (don't care what order)...and expect only the interior guy to contribute in '06...if you are going to draft D-line at 8 it better be a 10 sack plus a year potential rusher--not a big fat sweathog DT...

Draft Huff or Davis in the first...we need playmakers....I agree with SDS--when you are going to tie up 5-10% of your cap in a college kid for the forseeable future--drafting for need is not wise..draft a playmaker worthy of the salary...if it happens to fit your need all the better--if it doesn't fill a need it hopefully gives you leverage to make a trade...

631095[/snapback]

Trade down and build the offensive line getting a center (Mangold?), guard (Spencer?) and tackle (Justice?) with the three picks in the first two rounds.

I think we can all agree it's about time we get an offensive line.

I'm dissapointed we missed out on Pickett. Not because I think Pickett is a great dt, but because he would've made us a lot better then what we currently have. I preferably wanted Rocky Bernard but that option is out the window as well. I'm not overly sure whats left in free agency as far as dt go, but this still doesn't change my mindset like stl said that we need 2 more dts regardless. I didn't see anything in Tim Anderson that told me he's getting better. I saw him completly get handled in the jets game in week 17, while Adams and Bannan generally got better interior push. Signing Pickett would've at least for the first round allowed us the luxury of taking a Huff or Davis. I don't see that as feasible any longer.

While I'm not as enamored with Ngata as a lot of you are, if he's there at 8 and we dont trade down for Bunkley I'd take Ngata, or stay put and take Winston Justice. We have far too many pressing needs along our oline and dline respectivly and we can't choose to ignore them. Ngata fits the mold as the Bigger run stoping type dt that marv talked about pairing with triplett. Personaly I'd rather have the quicker dlinmen like Bunkley to disruspt plays and can chase them down. Speed and quickness kill in the nfl, and one of our biggest problems the past few years has been the lack of any type of pass rush generating from just our front 4.

Winston Justice while he played rt at USC could make the switch to lt in the nfl. Imo he's overshadowed by Dbrickshaw but I dont see it as a huge dropoff. Very strong and powerful run blocker and good pass blocker as well. Moves well in space and has quick feet. Would upgrade our line. Hopefully we can still grab someone like Stephen Neal or Tutan Reyes in free agency to upgrade one of the guard spots.

In the 3rd rd with one of our picks I'd take someone like John McCargo from NC state. Might've been a product of playing with guys like Mario Williams and Manny Lawson, but in his own right McCargo is an excellent interior pressure type and has a tackle for a loss in every game he played in as a junior. Not overly fast but very strong, just gets the job done.

I just dont see us at this current time having the luxury of taking Vernon Davis, also with the signing of Royal and still having Kevin Everett our needs can be best served elsewhere. Huff could still be the guy but like I said we're far too weak on the dline and oline to be taking skill players that early.

Trade down and build the offensive line getting a center (Mangold?), guard (Spencer?) and tackle (Justice?) with the three picks in the first two rounds.

I think we can all agree it's about time we get an offensive line.

631186[/snapback]

Losing Pickett is a bad omen. Signing him would lead me to believe the Bills were serious. It looks like Ralph is still pissed at the players getting too much money.

It was going to take serious bucks to get Pickett and the Bills struck out. Losing to friggin' Green Bay. It wasn't like he went to some tropical paradise. Jeez. It was all about the money.

This is the new NFL Ralph! - whether you like it or not. Too bad for the Bills fans the owner is stuck in the old NFL. Ralph is probably still steaming over the CBA. Get over it Ralph and get in the game. Slow movers get trampled.

What gives anyone confidence that Marv and company can get it done?

The cream of the free agents are gone and the Bills have gone sideways at best. The draft remains. I am not particularly confident that this year's draft will be able to patch the huge holes in this team.

Maybe my pessimism is misplaced, but I look for a looooooooong looooooooosing season.

I haven't seen any reasonable argument to convince me otherwise- unfortunately!

Losing Pickett is a bad omen. Signing him would lead me to believe the Bills were serious. It looks like Ralph is still pissed at the players getting too much money.

It was going to take serious bucks to get Pickett and the Bills struck out. Losing to friggin' Green Bay. It wasn't like he went to some tropical paradise. Jeez. It was all about the money.

This is the new NFL Ralph! - whether you like it or not. Too bad for the Bills fans the owner is stuck in the old NFL. Ralph is probably still steaming over the CBA. Get over it Ralph and get in the game. Slow movers get trampled.

What gives anyone confidence that Marv and company can get it done?

The cream of the free agents are gone and the Bills have gone sideways at best. The draft remains. I am not particularly confident that this year's draft will be able to patch the huge holes in this team.

Maybe my pessimism is misplaced, but I look for a looooooooong looooooooosing season.

I haven't seen any reasonable argument to convince me otherwise- unfortunately!

631219[/snapback]

I wish that I could disagree with you. :)

Just don't let it stop you from going to a game this coming season, William.

631262[/snapback]

I will come to at least one Bills game per season until the day I die. My friends and I are standing by, waiting for the schedule to come out so we can agree on a date that is good for all. Being a Bills Fan is part of my identity, as crazy as that sounds.

I will piss and moan, but I will never give up. This is the trait of Bills Fans (and WNYers) that I admire most. This, and the kind manner in which we are treated every year. Win or lose, I am SO proud to be a part of this.

I swear, we will win it all some day. I know this.

I want to draft two DTs with the first 4 picks.  Tim Anderson didn't show me a damn thing last year except that he has no business being on the field.  I've heard a lot of people saying that he really improved towards the end of last year, I guess I just didn't see it because I thought his play was stil terrible by seasons end.  It seems that on every play he ended up 15 yards of the line of scrimmage.  I'll Ngata with the 8 pick then address the O-line with the next two picks (hopefully Mangold in the second and either a G in the third or a tackle like Whitworth).  Then take another D-tackle with the second 3rd (Wroten or that kid from NC state).  We haven't been able to address the lines like I thought we would through free agency and we HAVE TO do it sometime! Just my thoughts though.

631110[/snapback]

I want 2 DTs, Mangold, an OG, a safety, and (if we don't get a Runyan) an OT... all on Day 1. And Vernon Davis too. :lol: