"Press Your Luck" host, wife die in crash

Classic show...RIP

Press Your Luck

SANTA MONICA, Calif. - A former TV game show host and his wife were killed Monday morning when their small plane crashed into Santa Monica Bay, authorities said. Rescue crews were searching for a third person also aboard the plane.

ADVERTISEMENT

The bodies of Peter Tomarken, 63, host of the hit 1980s game show "Press Your Luck," and his wife, Kathleen Abigail Tomarken, 41, were identified by the Los Angeles County coroner's office.

This is a bit off topic, but has anyone seen the GSN special about the guy that scammed Press Your Luck? He figured out that the Whammy only came up at certain points and that there were distinct patterns that the lights used to move around the board. The guy ended up winning over $100,000 (at the time a game show record).

Larson and the producers said that they knew he was on to something but couldn't figure out how someone could "beat" their foolproof system.

OOOH, He got the Whammy :(

Classic show...RIP

Press Your Luck

SANTA MONICA, Calif. - A former TV game show host and his wife were killed Monday morning when their small plane crashed into Santa Monica Bay, authorities said. Rescue crews were searching for a third person also aboard the plane.

ADVERTISEMENT

The bodies of Peter Tomarken, 63, host of the hit 1980s game show "Press Your Luck," and his wife, Kathleen Abigail Tomarken, 41, were identified by the Los Angeles County coroner's office.

628031[/snapback]

This is a bit off topic, but has anyone seen the GSN special about the guy that scammed Press Your Luck? He figured out that the Whammy only came up at certain points and that there were distinct patterns that the lights used to move around the board. The guy ended up winning over $100,000 (at the time a game show record).

Larson and the producers said that they knew he was on to something but couldn't figure out how someone could "beat" their foolproof system.

628199[/snapback]

I've seen that. Pretty nice scam. Of course the guy was an idiot and blew the money in no time.

I've seen that.  Pretty nice scam.  Of course the guy was an idiot and blew the money in no time.

628338[/snapback]

Scam? If they guy had reprogrammed the board, that would be a scam.

628199[/snapback]

Well, if you had read the post above yours you would have seen that Jack linked to that story...he even had Larson's name in the link... :(

I remember that well. I was 15 years old and summer vacation had just begun, when the Larson shows aired...and the fact that he figured out the board came out.

I don't believe it was a scam, but he really pulled one on the producers and on CBS. It made a game show that might have been forgotten, memorable.

RIP, Peter.

Mike