Bentley and Shaffer

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really not talking about Bentley exactly, I guess I"m just jumping the gun on my assumption that the OLine is not going to get the help it needed. I didn't expect Bentley (though I would have loved it), but I did want Shaffer. Those guys were the best at their positions in FA, and they are both gone, just like that.

I'm really not talking about Bentley exactly, I guess I"m just jumping the gun on my assumption that the OLine is not going to get the help it needed.  I didn't expect Bentley (though I would have loved it), but I did want Shaffer.  Those guys were the best at their positions in FA, and they are both gone, just like that.

624472[/snapback]

Maybe Chris V. will come back. :lol:

I'm not terribly disappointed in not getting Schaffer.  I searched through the Atlanta message boards an i could not find a single good comment about the guy last season.

624474[/snapback]

I'm not either. I think Peters can be much better at LT than any of these FA's, & at a fraction of the cost. I would've liked Bentley though. :lol:

I would like to know our plan for the oline and dt, which may be the weakest in the entire NFL at this point (Williams and Adams cut, Teague, Edwards, and Bannon are free agents and both units were poor last year even with these players).

I know that it is very early, but I had hoped tht the Bills would be really agressive right from the start. Have any visits been announced?

Bentley never had any interest in coming here, period.

The Browns signed Shaffer for $5 mil/season. If you think we should've topped that offer, you're a menace to society and should be confined to indoors, wearing a batting helmet at all times for your own protection.

You all need to chill - the first few days of free agency is when the market is distorted completely by desparation. This team has a lot of needs - overpaying for an unproven tackle is the last thing the Bills need to do right now - just ask SF how happy they are that they raced to sign Jonas Jennings for big money at the start of free agency last offseason. Worked out great.

Look for the Browns to be much improved this year. They are building a team the right way. They are putting their money into the Offensive Line. This is how you get good in a hurry. Granted, they have a lot more problems, but they definately took a huge step forward with addressing the O-Line.

Just wish the Bills would take note.

Bentley never had any interest in coming here, period.

The Browns signed Shaffer for $5 mil/season.  If you think we should've topped that offer, you're a menace to society and should be confined to indoors, wearing a batting helmet at all times for your own protection. 

You all need to chill - the first few days of free agency is when the market is distorted completely by desparation.  This team has a lot of needs - overpaying for an unproven tackle is the last thing the Bills need to do right now - just ask SF how happy they are that they raced to sign Jonas Jennings for big money at the start of free agency last offseason.  Worked out great.

624505[/snapback]

And you know Bentley would have never came here how? Did we even try?

Second, while 5 mill per for Shaffer did catch my eye also, he is playing the most well paid spot on the offensive line, and he is young, is he not? By most accounts, he has some flaws but showed dramatic improvement as the year went on.

Lastly, yes, you are right about the first few days about free agency. However, when your line is as bad as Cleveland's was the last 5 years, isn't it time to panic? To add to that, when your line is as bad as Buffalo's was the last 5 years, isn't it time for us to panic too? Apparently not. And while Shaffer could turn out to be another Jonas Jennings, Bentley is a stud. If Shaffer is a stud, the Browns are almost set.

Take Nick Saban's mindset.....when your QB is as bad as Miami's has been the last few years.....what do you do? You go TO Drew Brees BEFORE he gets to New Orleans tomorrow. We'll see how it works out for Saban. I, for once, would like to have some forward thinking like that in the Bills front office. All I know is two upper tier lineman are now off the market, and our line still sucks.

Another good coach with a plan is out there in the AFC in Romeo Crennel. While I hope it's not going to come to fruition, it's hard to think the Jauron / Levy are gonna be the one's to be able to overcome some of the braintrust's in the AFC at this point.

Please Marv, let's hope you have the magic you had when you coached here.

I think so many teams under the cap by significant amounts and with an overall weak free agent class, some players will reap the benefit of really big money deals (bigger than in past years). Unfortunately, if the Bills want to fill holes, they will have to deal with the current reality.

It kills me. Upgrade the lines, but for God's sake, DON'T PAY ANYONE TO DO IT!!!!!

Why do that when it's obviously so easy to find diamonds in the rough that will play for pennies.

Either you pay em and build the lines or you don't and you have the Bills lines of the past 5 years.