Golisano might buy the Bills.

Then the next question is....

Would you give up the Buffalo Sabres to keep the Buffalo Bills permanently in Buffalo?

Because if Golisano buys the Bills, I guarantee that he will have to sell the Sabres.

623084[/snapback]

You are right. Someone can own both an NFL AND NHL team...however they cannot be in the same city. If Golisano buys the Bills he would have to sell the Sabres...:-(

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right. Someone can own both an NFL AND NHL team...however they cannot be in the same city. If Golisano buys the Bills he would have to sell the Sabres...:-(

623162[/snapback]

Really? What an odd rule.

Why is that?

Golisano is no evil man who eats puppies.  He is a brilliant business man.  I have met him numerous times by delivering to his office in Pittsford.  He has more businesses going than anyone would think.  They all prosper.  I would love to see him buy the Bills and believe me, he would not have to let the Sabres go.  The guy has given over 19 million in donations to hospitals, schools and others in the Rochester area.   

Him buying the Bills would be the best thing that could happen.  This guy is not going to delve into anything that is going to cost him money. 

Next time I see him, I may just bring up the buying the Bills possibility. 

And no, this is no BS post.

623149[/snapback]

You definitely should bring it up to him, if for no other reason than to be one more example of how enthusiastic people would be to see him buy the team. Who knows, maybe you could even get a read as to where he's at with the idea :rolleyes:

Remember though, he is a buisnessman first. The posters here would go nuts when he decides to run the bills on a budget less then the cap limit so the bills can turn a profit.

623143[/snapback]

Every team in the NFL is profitable. The Bills turn a handsome profit every year. Why would that cause anyone to cut back????

We should get Russian Billionaire, Roman Abromovich to buy the Bills. He is worth around 14 billion and he spends money like water on his soccer club in England, Chelsea.

He has spent over a 1/4 of a billion in the last 2 1/2 years on buying players, and Chelsea is on the verge of winning their second straight EPL title. He also admits he didn't know all that much about the sport when he invested. All we need to do is convince him he'll make money by spending money.

I personally asked Mr. Golisano (before he bought the Sabres) if he was serious about buying a pro sports team. He said then that he was pretty sure he would. I asked him which team, and he said he 'd really like to buy the Bills but knew the Sabres opportunity would likely come around first. He wouldn't go any further on the subject. It was either his grandson or newphew who was playing youth football at the time I met him. He seemed like a really good guy, and I understand he feels strongly about keeping WNY a great place to raise a family.

Remember also that Golisano also bought our training camp site, St. John Fisher, a building. Ralph Wilson also gave money to the school.

"The Golisano Academic Gateway, complete with the Frontier Cyber Café and the learning resource center, opened in January 2001. The Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. Building opened in September 2003, expanding classroom capacity by 20 percent and providing additional faculty offices, seminar rooms, and meeting spaces."

Remember also that Golisano also bought our training camp site, St. John Fisher, a building. Ralph Wilson also gave money to the school.

"The Golisano Academic Gateway, complete with the Frontier Cyber Café and the learning resource center, opened in January 2001. The Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. Building opened in September 2003, expanding classroom capacity by 20 percent and providing additional faculty offices, seminar rooms, and meeting spaces."

623216[/snapback]

He has his name on a building in just about every academic institution in Rochester, too. Fisher, Nazareth, RIT, UR (the medical center, at least). He's our modern day George Eastman and we're lucky to have him.

623162[/snapback]

Is that just an NFL rule?

Cablevision owns both the Knicks and the Rangers (James Dolan).

623162[/snapback]

I think you have it backwards. I think they teams HAVE to be in the same city. But i may be wrong.

I think you have it backwards. I think they teams HAVE to be in the same city. But i may be wrong.

623342[/snapback]

I think you are correct. Wayne Huizenga owned the Florida Panthers from 1992-2001 and the Miami Dolphins from 1990-the present.

EDIT: He also owned the Florida Marlins during some of those years.

"well-placed rumor from the NYS Republican circles"

That rumor has about as much credibility as the term "honest lawyer." Golisano's only been a registered Repubican since last October, so it's doubtbful he has many friends in the party who he'd confide in. More wishful thinking, IMO, since he doesn't seem like Ralph's kind of guy (although his heirs might not be as picky about that).

What's up with the name change, anyway!

Disreguard my question. I didn't far engough into this post. My question was answered. That sucks for the Sabres if that happen. That might mean the Sabres might be moved out of town then. Either way I think we lose a sports franchise. :rolleyes:

More wishful thinking, IMO, since he doesn't seem like Ralph's kind of guy (although his heirs might not be as picky about that).

What's up with the name change, anyway!

You obviously don't know much about Golisano. For starters, "Blase" is his real first name and Thomas is his middle name. Second of all, he plays tennis with the Wilsons and I even think he played against Ralph's wife for a charity event. He's DEFINITELY "Ralph's kind of guy," especially since he's got the money to buy the team and the desire to keep it in Buffalo. And I suspect Ralph will end up selling the team before he dies, to avoid the estate tax issue/headache for his daughters.

You obviously don't know much about Golisano.  For starters, "Blase" is his real first name and Thomas is his middle name.  Second of all, he plays tennis with the Wilsons and I even think he played against Ralph's wife for a charity event.  He's DEFINITELY "Ralph's kind of guy," especially since he's got the money to buy the team and the desire to keep it in Buffalo.  And I suspect Ralph will end up selling the team before he dies, to avoid the estate tax issue/headache for his daughters.

623420[/snapback]

Well, I'm humble enough to know when I've been B word slapped! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info, although I still find BTG a little too "new money" for RW. :doh: