Vernon Davis is the only choice

marck

The critical element to top offenses in the NFL all are tied to having a game breaking tight end. While factoring in the Bills have major holes on the offensive and defensive lines that do need attention, these needs can be addressed in free agency and in later rounds of the draft.

Assuming we either keep Moulds or sign Antonio Bryant at a much lower cost that resolves the WR position.

Signing John Runyon would resolve the tackle position as we would have Runyon at RT and Peters at LT

Offensive line interior - Use draft to bump up this area

Defensive Tackle - Sign Kemueatu from the Ravens and also add Ryan Pickett from the Rams

In the 2nd and 3rd rounds Bills will need to select at least one guard, a center and a defensive tackle.

In this way, the Bills could go to a two WR, double TE formation with a single back in McGahee.

The team would develop and tweaks can be made to the OL in next year's draft and free agency.

Questions and comments please.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Moves will be made on the offensive lines and defensive lines during free agency.

With that addressed, take the best athlete and difference maker in this draft and let teams worry about having evans, davis, everett, parrish and mcgahee on the field to defend.

Assume next year will not be a playoff season and look into the following year to see the team be successful.

So they go from #28 to #20 on offense and stay at #29 on defense. Sweet. :P

620192[/snapback]

We need an impact player....period. I don't care if it's Davis, Ngata, Williams, Huff, etc, etc...We need a difference maker, and he needs to be making that difference from day one.

The critical element to top offenses in the NFL all are tied to having a game breaking tight end.  While factoring in the Bills have major holes on the offensive and defensive lines that do need attention, these needs can be addressed in free agency and in later rounds of the draft.

620186[/snapback]

Can't recall who St. Louis' tight end was. Graham and Watson are good but not great. When I think of the top tight ends - Gates, Crumpler, Shockey, Gonzalez, Clark are probably my top five - none have been to the Superbowl. They have one championship game between them. Most good offenses have a good tight end. Then again, most good offenses have good many things.

The critical element to top offenses in the NFL all are tied to having a game breaking tight end.  While factoring in the Bills have major holes on the offensive and defensive lines that do need attention, these needs can be addressed in free agency and in later rounds of the draft.

Assuming we either keep Moulds or sign Antonio Bryant at a much lower cost that resolves the WR position.

Signing John Runyon would resolve the tackle position as we would have Runyon at RT and Peters at LT

Defensive Tackle - Sign Kemueatu from the Ravens and also add Ryan Pickett from the Rams

In the 2nd and 3rd rounds Bills will need to select at least one guard, a center and a defensive tackle.

In this way, the Bills could go to a two WR, double TE formation with a single back in McGahee.

The team would develop and tweaks can be made to the OL in next year's draft and free agency.

620186[/snapback]

I like some of the moves (Kemoeatu and Pickett @ DT, Runyan @ OT), but I don't like depending on Peters to man the LT position. What about the pass rush? I'd love to have a great rusher to use as a situational player or to replace the LEs on our roster.

Moves will be made on the offensive lines and defensive lines during free agency.

With that addressed, take the best athlete and difference maker in this draft and let teams worry about having evans, davis, everett, parrish and mcgahee on the field to defend.

620199[/snapback]

I'm sure teams will be shaking at the thought of stopping a guy that's never been anything but a #2WR, a rookie TE, a second year TE who has never taken a regular season snap in the NFL and who is coming off a major knee injury, a tiny #3 WR that's never done anything outside of special teams and "the best back in the league."

You make it sound like teams will be spread so thin trying to stop this unbelievable collection of talent that the Bills have assembled on offense and by adding Davis it makes the Bills virtually unstoppable.

The Bills need to first establish a team that can run and pass block effectively on offense and clog the middle against the run and get semi-consistent pressure on defense (without blitzing every down). Once they do that they can worry about giving opposing teams fits with their skill players.

We need fat guys first, then fast guys.

We need an impact player....period. I don't care if it's Davis, Ngata, Williams, Huff, etc, etc...We need a difference maker, and he needs to be making that difference from day one.

620200[/snapback]

I think the key thing to remember is that free agency signings will happen prior to the draft.

For example, if they pick up a couple DT's as free agents then I think it is less likely they draft a DT. Sounds obvious, but let's see what happens if free agency ever begins.

I personally favor drafting the best player available and fill specific position needs by trade or free agency.

Best players available include: V Davis, M Williams, M Huff, D'Brick, Hawk

The Bills could use any of them.

I think the key thing to remember is that free agency signings will happen prior to the draft.

For example, if they pick up a couple DT's as free agents then I think it is less likely they draft a DT. Sounds obvious, but let's see what happens if free agency ever begins.

I personally favor drafting the best player available and fill specific position needs by trade or free agency.

620333[/snapback]

Good post.

620333[/snapback]

your right, we have to wait and see who we pick up before saying we are going any oneway on this draft .

I have said this before.

FA is used to fill the holes, the draft is used to add depth to the holes.

In other words, we should not be relying on a rookie lineman to come in and start immediately and make in impact like everyone expects Ngata to do (he is good and I would like to see him play for Buffalo). We need to get FA's to fill those spots and bring in a guy from the draft to play behind them and possibly take over the spot later in the season if they prove they can handle it. Getting a guy like Davis would help cause we have Everett and a couple of veteran TE's (who aren't spectacular but fill a hole) but he is a special talent that could make an immediate impact.

So they go from #28 to #20 on offense and stay at #29 on defense. Sweet. :w00t:

620192[/snapback]

I think you'd see the defense's ranking improve with the change in scheme and an improved offense.

The success of the modified 46, which the Bills ran under Gray, is predicated on the defense being aggressive and making big plays. The inability of the Bills front 4 to mount a consistently threatening pass rush in addition to the recent rule changes with regards to contact between the DBs and WRs put extraordinary pressure on the secondary. I think this is why teams were so successful in 3rd and long plays against the Bills. The Bills 46 was a big-play defense alright, but the big plays were happening on the other side of the ball.

The Cover-2, on the other hand, is an anti-big-play defense. Lighter, faster DTs improve the pass rush, at the expense of run-clogging ability, so that long pass plays have less time to develop. The LBs and DBs are trained to turn the ball carrier in towards the center of the field when they themselves cannot make the tackle so that others will have opportunities to do so. A Cover-2 can be run on but, as Dick Jauron stated in his interview with Ed Kilgore, an effective offense isn't going to win many games gaining only short snatches of yardage. By taking away the big pass play, the Cover-2 forces an offense to win with short passes and runs. An offense can score in this way, but not quickly, so it keeps their tempo slow and it forces them to execute almost perfectly. As the Bills have amply demonstrated over the years, especially with Blesoe at QB, running pass plays in a short field (red zone offense) is considerably more difficult. The risk of the Cover-2 is that the defense will be ground down by a possession offense, its reward is that they'll get more sacks and interceptions.

If the Bills new offense can either win time of possession or score big, the defense will benefit either because the other team's offense will have less time in which to work or will be playing catch-up, both of which play into the hands of a Cover-2 defense.

620186[/snapback]

I think it looks pretty good, but you're asking a lot signing all of the free agents you mentioned. We have to wait to see what we will do during free agency first. If the holes are filled, I agree with your Davis pick. But I am still hoping that AJ Hawk will be there at #8 for us. I would want another Chris Speilman like player on our team.

I think one thing that is being over-looked is that we drafted a stud TE last year, Kevin Everett.....we need to look elsewhere first IMO

620567[/snapback]

Everett didn't play a down last season and he may not even fully recover from his knee injury. He's a question mark at best. If he does turn into a good player, great: we'll have someone to back up Davis or, better yet, someone we can play opposite Davis in a multi-dimensional double TE set.