Vernon Davis is the only choice

marck

With no blocking skills, he is better listed with the WR's or even RB's (under HBack).  His 4.39 is fast but again that is on a fast indy turf, and only puts him in the top with several folks faster then him.

620753[/snapback]

Hasn't one of the complaints about the combine at Indy always been that their turf is infamously slow? I think that is why several players over the years have refused to run the 40 there and insist on doing it on the pro day at their schools.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hasn't one of the complaints about the combine at Indy always been that their turf is infamously slow? I think that is why several players over the years have refused to run the 40 there and insist on doing it on the pro day at their schools.

620869[/snapback]

I remember hearing the reverse...the report I also got was that it is extremely fast, a lot of colleges still have natural grass which tends to be a hair slower than the new field turf. Just what I remember hearing. Not to mention this years group at the combine was overall a pretty athletic and fast group.

Although this scouting report is the biggest crock of sh*t I've ever read.....

FYI:

Strengths: A dynamic athlete. Has rare speed and athletic ability for his size. Shows explosive initial burst to get off the LOS and the top-end speed to stretch the field vertically. He will be a matchup weapon as a pass-catcher in the NFL. Shows a good feel for reading coverages. Is remarkably savvy in terms of setting up defenders in man-coverage and finding soft spots in zone. He shows burst out of his cuts and will consistently separate in one-on-one situations. He has terrific leaping ability and will make the acrobatic catch. He has soft and reliable hands. Shows upper body strength and power at the POA as a blocker. He continues to improve his technique and angles as a space blocker. He also is a workout warrior who set school strength records (in spring of 2005) for a TE in the bench press (460 pounds), power-clean (335 pounds), vertical jump (40 inches), squat (685 pounds) and 40-yard dash (4.41)

Weaknesses: Possesses below average height and speed :w00t:  :lol:  :lol: . Is powerful but lacks a wide base to anchor as a blocker. Needs to improve his hand-usage, angles and overall technique as a blocker. May never develop into anything more than an H-back that needs to be protected as a blocker in space in the NFL.

Overall: Davis played in all 13 games as a reserve during his true freshman season in 2003, and finished with five catches for 59 yards. He started six of the 11 games he played as a sophomore in 2004, finishing with 27 receptions for 441 yards and three touchdowns. Through eight games as a junior in 2005, Davis led the Terps with 32 catches for 592 yards with three touchdowns. Davis is one of the best pure athletes at the tight end position in college football right now. He lacks ideal size and has much room to improve as a blocker, but his overall combination of physical tools and playmaking savvy are hard to ignore. He has not made a decision regarding his future, but we are hearing that Davis is leaning heavily towards leaving school early in order to make himself available for the 2006 NFL draft. If that is the case, and if he verifies his exceptional natural tools in post-season workouts, Davis could emerge as a mid-first round draft pick.

Fast Indy Turf or not, when you run the fastest 40 time EVER as a TE at the combine, I'd say its safe to say your pretty damn fast. Va Bills put down the bogus scouting reports and open your eyes.

I remember hearing the reverse...the report I also got was that it is extremely fast, a lot of colleges still have natural grass which tends to be a hair slower than the new field turf.  Just what I remember hearing.  Not to mention this years group at the combine was overall a pretty athletic and fast group.

Although this scouting report is the biggest crock of sh*t I've ever read.....

Fast Indy Turf or not, when you run the fastest 40 time EVER as a TE at the combine, I'd say its safe to say your pretty damn fast.  Va Bills put down the bogus scouting reports and open your eyes.

620870[/snapback]

I did a quick google regarding Indy's turf and here is the first hit I opened up.

"The University of Wiscon-sin cornerback could have waited to run the 40-yard dash on the fast track at UW's pro day just after the Combine instead of on the notoriously slow turf at Indianapolis. Many pro-spects, including nearly all of the top ones, pass on the 40 at the Combine."

You probably right then Dave, I just thought I remembered hearing it was fast during combine coverage, wasn't 100% sure though.

Regardless of the fast or slow turf, Vernon Davis ran the same exact 40 time (4.37) as did Lee Evans at the combine in 2004.

Personally I'd be happy with Davis, Ngata, Huff or trading down and getting either Hali or Bunckley and at least another second rounder.