Random Mock Draft...Very Interesting Write Up

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/y/nfl.../mock-draft.php

Buffalo Bills Davis, Vernon, TE Maryland

The Bills seem to be a mess right now. They have a young QB who hasn’t played up to the caliber they expected. They have a young RB who underachieved last season. It appears the Bills are going to cut WR Eric Moulds. Moulds has turned down two pay cuts now and has been said to be very unhappy with the team. The Bills just recently released TE Mark Campbell and that leaves a huge need at TE and a valuable #2 option to Lee Evans. Nobody put on a better performance than Vernon Davis the TE of Maryland at the NFL Combine. At 255 he ran a 4.35 40 which I believe is the fastest 40 time ever ran by a TE. He put up 33 reps of 225 pounds on the bench which is very good for a TE prospect. These numbers in my opinion are impressive enough to make him as a lock for a top 10 pick. In fact I think Davis is hands down the best TE prospect possibly of all time. He’s better than Kellen Winslow in every category and he has a way better attitude.

TE might not be the most glaring need though. The Bills have a huge need at OT and DT. Haloti Ngata would fit well here, as he could be a replacement for departed 2005 free agent Pat Williams. The defense just wasn’t the same without that big body in middle and it really showed last year. Winston Justice would be a possibility as well as a need for a OT is high on their board. Though with the depth in this draft at DT and OT the Bills should be able to find a good player at both of those positions in round 2 and round 3. Another option is trading up for D’Brickashaw Ferguson. The 49ers might want to move down from the 6 spot for Michael Huff and the Bills could be a realistic trading partner if Ferguson is on the board. In the end though if they are unable to trade up Vernon Davis in my mind pretty much proved he’s a top 10 pick and the Bills could use him to help farther along the development of JP Losman.

Interesting write-up, but yet another alleged "expert" who does not know that the Bills drafted Everett last year to be their playmaking TE.

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/y/nfl.../mock-draft.php

Buffalo Bills  Davis, Vernon, TE Maryland

The Bills seem to be a mess right now. They have a young QB who hasn’t played up to the caliber they expected. They have a young RB who underachieved last season. It appears the Bills are going to cut WR Eric Moulds. Moulds has turned down two pay cuts now and has been said to be very unhappy with the team. The Bills just recently released TE Mark Campbell and that leaves a huge need at TE and a valuable #2 option to Lee Evans. Nobody put on a better performance than Vernon Davis the TE of Maryland at the NFL Combine. At 255 he ran a 4.35 40 which I believe is the fastest 40 time ever ran by a TE. He put up 33 reps of 225 pounds on the bench which is very good for a TE prospect. These numbers in my opinion are impressive enough to make him as a lock for a top 10 pick. In fact I think Davis is hands down the best TE prospect possibly of all time. He’s better than Kellen Winslow in every category and he has a way better attitude.

TE might not be the most glaring need though. The Bills have a huge need at OT and DT. Haloti Ngata would fit well here, as he could be a replacement for departed 2005 free agent Pat Williams. The defense just wasn’t the same without that big body in middle and it really showed last year. Winston Justice would be a possibility as well as a need for a OT is high on their board. Though with the depth in this draft at DT and OT the Bills should be able to find a good player at both of those positions in round 2 and round 3. Another option is trading up for D’Brickashaw Ferguson. The 49ers might want to move down from the 6 spot for Michael Huff and the Bills could be a realistic trading partner if Ferguson is on the board. In the end though if they are unable to trade up Vernon Davis in my mind pretty much proved he’s a top 10 pick and the Bills could use him to help farther along the development of JP Losman.

620086[/snapback]

Interesting write-up, but yet another alleged "expert" who does not know that the Bills drafted Everett last year to be their playmaking TE.

620092[/snapback]

Of course!

We all KNOW that 3rd round project Kevin Everett, who was projected as mediocre on draft day, and blew out his knee in mini-camp and has never played a down in this league; must be our guy :P

Of course!

We all KNOW that 3rd round project Kevin Everett, who was projected as mediocre on draft day, and blew out his knee in mini-camp and has never played a down in this league; must be our guy  :P

620115[/snapback]

TOO F-INNN FUNNYY....

620092[/snapback]

Comparing V. Davis to Everett is like comparing a Heineken to a Michelobe UltraLite.

The experts are on point with completely disregarding Everett's value to the Bills.

The fact that we drafted Everett last year is all but meaningless. He was a midround prospect in a poor overall draft, was not drafted by the current GM or HC, and suffered a major injury before he ever played a down.

He's a pretty good project (or at least he was before the injury), don't get me wrong. But when you have a chance to draft the best prospect in years at a position, its tough to pass that up for a fairly talented prospect coming off a major injury and who never produced in college.

The fact that we drafted Everett last year is all but meaningless.  He was a midround prospect in a poor overall draft,  was not drafted by the current GM or HC,  and suffered a major injury before he ever played a down. 

He's a pretty good project (or at least he was before the injury),  don't get me wrong.  But when you have a chance to draft the best prospect in years at a position,  its tough to pass that up for a fairly talented prospect coming off a major injury and who never produced in college.

620134[/snapback]

I've been preaching forever that he Bills MUST build from the trenches outward, beginning with their porous O-line.

That said, I wouldn't be disappointed if they drafted Davis. He may be a difference maker that opposing defenses have to plan against and double team. As much as I'm against sexy skill position picks at this stage of rebuilding, Davis may be the kind of talent that can make the rest of the offense click.

You also have to look at things by putting FA into perspective. There are a bunch of solid, starting DTs available in FA. Same can be said about OTs. And Strong Safetys too I might add.

There is not a stud TE available however, nor are there any good starting interior O-Line except for the drastically over-priced LeCharles Bentley.

So, it might not be a bad idea to snag Davis while we can, get a star TE to help out Losman and then use our 2nd rounder on the best available interior O-Lineman (Mangold, Joseph, Giles or Lutui) to help compensate FAs crappy selection.

620092[/snapback]

You know, it wouldn't hurt to have two playmaking TEs, especially when you have a suspect OL. Can you imaging running a two TE set for nearly every down, where they can either stay home to block for the run or split out as large WRs or some combination of the two?

You know, it wouldn't hurt to have two playmaking TEs, especially when you have a suspect OL. Can you imaging running a two TE set for nearly every down, where they can either stay home to block for the run or split out as large WRs or some combination of the two?

620176[/snapback]

Sure - defenses love to have deep coverage responsibilities taken away...

true, but VD does run faster than most WRs.  (40 time anyways)

620478[/snapback]

Then he better be able to also beat a db with his cut, cut back, deke, etc, and be sure that the db doesn't leave him and move for the pick.

TE's do their damage when they are a surprise, with light coverage, when the db's cover others and the lb's are occupied otherwise or just misjudge.

620092[/snapback]

You're right about Everett but he's mostly on target about everything else he mentioned.

Comparing V. Davis to Everett is like comparing a Heineken to a Michelobe UltraLite.

The experts are on point with completely disregarding Everett's value to the Bills.

620129[/snapback]

Based on what information? The head coach at Miami said Everett was the best TE he's ever had--better than Shockey, better than Winslow. That's a pretty ringing endorsement. Maybe Vernon Davis is the greatest thing since sliced bread--but I wouldn't be dismissing Everett's value w/o seeing him play one meaningful snap.

I've been preaching forever that he Bills MUST build from the trenches outward, beginning with their porous O-line.

That said, I wouldn't be disappointed if they drafted Davis. He may be a difference maker that opposing defenses have to plan against and double team. As much as I'm against sexy skill position picks at this stage of rebuilding, Davis may be the kind of talent that can make the rest of the offense click.

620144[/snapback]

[/quote

Exactly. As with Bledsoe with New England and Coates, drafting Davis would give JP a great safety valve to rely on. If Davis has smarts to go with his physical talents, and he's able to read what the defense is doing, he could exercise the hold and release play, ultimately leaving him free in the secondary.

Another reason to consider Davis's intelligence is that the Bills used a 1st round pick to draft a very athletic TE back in 1983 named Tony Hunter. He had all the physical talents but was dumber than a door nail. He played a couple seasons and then was gone.