(OT) Boise State's Football Field

Rico

They've had that field for a number of years.  The first time I saw it I thought the color on my tv went bad.

45131[/snapback]

My brother loves it because it's different...after about five minutes of looking at it, I'm ready to go insane. What an eyesore! Football fields were meant to be green, even artificial ones.

Guest dillagaf2

The "Smurf Turf" has been in place since 1986 and is a kick to play on. When you are standing on the sideline, all you can see of the opposing team is just their heads because of the curvature/incline of the field. That field is hard as a rock when you go down and rug burns are very common. You can actually use tennis shoes instead of cleats. Played on it twice when in high school.

The "Smurf Turf" has been in place since 1986 and is a kick to play on. When you are standing on the sideline, all you can see of the opposing team is just their heads because of the curvature/incline  of the field. That field is hard as a rock when you go down and rug burns are very common. You can actually use tennis shoes instead of cleats.  Played on it twice when in high school.

45153[/snapback]

I caught a highlight this year and it looked to e like they changed it to the newer variety "Astroplay" type stuff. Did they?

Guest dilligaf2

Not sure on that or exactly what Astroplay is, but it was an issue 6 to 7 years ago, before the late Pokey Allen era, god bless his soul, that the carpet needed an upgrade. Some wanted it changed back to the traditional green, but an astounding majority said keep it blue. At that time they very well could have changed it to Astroplay because there was a change in carpet.

I worked and lived in Boise for a couple years in the late 90's. I love that place.

Gotta love the blue turf. I went to about 4 home games. I was watching tonight (well, took the old lady out for B-day dinner and they had it on) and I was amazed at how many people saw that blue field for the 1st time.

And what a game!!! Hell of a streak going there.

I also want to mention that they used to have a dog retrieve the kicking tee from the field. Not sure if they still do. I always thought that was kool. Great place to watch a football game and the people are quite nice out that way.

The blue field is unique and kinda cool, but Boise State wears these uniforms that are the same blue color with pinkish trim! That is just too much to watch. The players dissappear in the field.

Also, they were playing BYU tonight on ESPN, and they have butt ugly uniforms this year, so it was a visual abortion to watch tonight.

The blue field is unique and kinda cool, but Boise State wears these uniforms that are the same blue color with pinkish trim!  That is just too much to watch.  The players dissappear in the field. 

Also, they were playing BYU tonight on ESPN,  and they have butt ugly uniforms this year, so it was a visual abortion to watch tonight.

45209[/snapback]

I gotta agree! It may be unique and so I can understand why a team from relatively obscure place would like it; it gives them a special identity. But damn I cannot watch a game on that field. It truly is an abomination to try to watch.

I gotta agree!  It may be unique and so I can understand why a team from relatively obscure place would like it; it gives them a special identity.  But damn I cannot watch a game on that field. It truly is an abomination to try to watch.

45350[/snapback]

it doesn't bother me. it's the action on the field i'm interested in.

I have actually heard that they have a big problem with that field and geese or ducks. the migrating birds see the field and come swooping down to the "lake" and wind up killing themselves upon landing. not sure if that is true or not, but I thought i heard that during the humanitarian bowl.

I have actually heard that they have a big problem with that field and geese or ducks.  the migrating birds see the field and come swooping down to the "lake" and wind up killing themselves upon landing.  not sure if that is true or not, but I thought i heard that during the humanitarian bowl.

45409[/snapback]

Kewl!!! another reason to like it :flirt:

Guest dilligaf2

Golden Wheels, could you possibly be "Golden Ale" that was quite a contributor to the NEPatriots site 4-5 years ago? Just curious is all.