Talk About An Amazing Sports Story!!!

PTS

Just saw this on Buffalo tv news, didn't see it posted here. Stories like this is what sports are all about.

Jason McElwain was a student assistant for the Greece Athena (Rochester) high school basketball team. He is diagnosed as autistic. For Senior Night, and as a gift for his commitment to the team, his coach let Jason dress and play. The goal was to let Jason score a basket after the team got a big lead. After missing his first shot, Jason hit SIX three pointers in a row setting a school record. He finished with 20 points in just four minutes! Every time he drained a shot the gym went insane.

In addition to being autistic, he's about a foot and half shorter than everyone else.

I couldn't believe this. It seemed like it's out of a movie script.

http://www.wroctv.com/sports/story.asp?id=10211

that's pretty cool. I wonder how the other team played him?

Still, hitting 6 in a row when it is your 1st action EVER is impressive for any player - autistic or not.

610231[/snapback]

The other team did awful. They had a segment on this last night on Sportcenter. Watching what this kid did at his age was insane! :lol:

The other team did awful.  They had a segment on this last night on Sportcenter.  Watching what this kid did at his age was insane! :lol:

610232[/snapback]

The other team did awful? I saw the same sport center segment, and it wasn't like they were leaving the kid alone. Kid made the top 10 in the highlights section, and the announcers seemed to be genuinely touched by his performance. He was quoted, his mom was quoted, SC really gave this story top notch treatment.

Just saw this on Buffalo tv news, didn't see it posted here. Stories like this is what sports are all about.

Jason McElwain was a student assistant for the Greece Athena (Rochester) high school basketball team. He is diagnosed as autistic. For Senior Night, and as a gift for his commitment to the team, his coach let Jason dress and play. The goal was to let Jason score a basket after the team got a big lead. After missing his first shot, Jason hit SIX three pointers in a row setting a school record. He finished with 20 points in just four minutes! Every time he drained a shot the gym went insane.

In addition to being autistic, he's about a foot and half shorter than everyone else.

I couldn't believe this. It seemed like it's out of a movie script.

http://www.wroctv.com/sports/story.asp?id=10211

610222[/snapback]

Wow, that is AWESOME......I love stuff like that!

If I was on the other team, I would have fouled him hard. To send a message.

610599[/snapback]

I concur. A cheap shot is usually the best course of action in these situations, IMO.

Didn't Real Sports do a very similar story a couple of episodes ago?

610693[/snapback]

Found the info myself.

In episode 102, Real Sports did a piece on Ryan Bellflower from Clovis East High School in CA. Recap is below.

Dedication Personified

Realizing a dream can be one of the hardest things to accomplish, and Ryan Belflower is proof. A special education student from Clovis East High School in California, he devoted four years to becoming a member of the school's varsity basketball team. His singular pursuit led him to serve as manager of the girls' team, and manage equipment and fill water bottles for the boys' team, culminating in a storybook three-pointer after he was allowed to suit up his senior season. Belflower's transition from a shy, introverted freshman to a basketball player honored on senior night is remarkable, considering the social and developmental disabilities he had to overcome. REAL SPORTS' Frank Deford sits down with Ryan Belflower to retrace his remarkable story of persistence.

:D

Seriously, I heard that he was fouled. Not only did he make the basket, but he converted the free throw!

610620[/snapback]

impossible. He scored 20 points of which 18 came from 3 point range. Unless you are VABills, there isn't room for 3 more points there...

They were credentialing press at the first playoff game. The coach was saved from a tough decision by the rules. J-Mac is ineligible to play in the playoffs because you have to play a minimum of 6 games during the season. A guy I work with has a son on the team, so he was taking pictures at the game (one of his is in the Rochester paper). He got a call from People today asking about his pictures...

They were credentialing press at the first playoff game.  The coach was saved from a tough decision by the rules.  J-Mac is ineligible to play in the playoffs because you have to play a minimum of 6 games during the season.  A guy I work with has a son on the team, so he was taking pictures at the game (one of his is in the Rochester paper).  He got a call from People today asking about his pictures...

614561[/snapback]

Did he hit six 3-pointers in a row as in six straight shots that were 3-pointers? I know he missed his first 3-pointer and then a lay-up before he started knocking them down. But I think the ESPN story said he was 6-13 from the field in four minutes, which didn't make much sense. Maybe he made a couple free throws? Maybe he missed a couple of 2-point shots in between a few of his 3-point attempts? It's amazing any way you look at it, and a great story, but if he really hit six straight 3-pointers that takes it to another level. The NBA record is 8 or 9 I think. What could the NCAA record be? 10 or so? I tried a quick search but couldnt find it.

Did he hit six 3-pointers in a row as in six straight shots that were 3-pointers? I know he missed his first 3-pointer and then a lay-up before he started knocking them down. But I think the ESPN story said he was 6-13 from the field in four minutes, which didn't make much sense. Maybe he made a couple free throws? Maybe he missed a couple of 2-point shots in between a few of his 3-point attempts? It's amazing any way you look at it, and a great story, but if he really hit six straight 3-pointers that takes it to another level. The NBA record is 8 or 9 I think. What could the NCAA record be? 10 or so? I tried a quick search but couldnt find it.

614567[/snapback]

I saw in one article that there was one shot that his foot was on the arc, making it a 2 pointer instead of 3. Not sure about the order or how many shots he took though.

I saw in one article that there was one shot that his foot was on the arc, making it a 2 pointer instead of 3. Not sure about the order or how many shots he took though.

614694[/snapback]

I guess ESPN did another store on it yesterday, apparently a 5 minute segment. Greenie was talking about it this morning. He admitted to pulling his ear piece and not watching the last minute because he was tearing up. Now that's Greenie mind you, but a powerful story none the less. I smell ESPY in that kids future.