Objective sack statistics

maddog

Here are the career sack stats for many of today's (and one of yesterday's) QB's. Rob Johnson's sack figures are simply amazing. He was acked once every 6.8 pass attempts. DB has a long way to go before he is in RJs class. Bledsoe's career stats don't look too bad. However, he's towards the top of the list for his Buffalo tenure. Scanning through the list of names seems to indicate that for the most part sacks are more of a function of team play that QB nimbleness. Manning and Testaverde are among the least often sacked while Vick, McNabb & Culpepper are among the most often sacked.

No hidden message here, just interesting stuff.

Pass attempts per sack

R.Johnson 6.8

Vick 10.6

Bledsoe (Buf) 11.2

McNabb 12.7

Hasselbeck 12.9

Culpepper 13.2

Plummer 14.6

T. Green 15.4

Warner 15.6

Brady 15.9

Bledsoe (career) 16.1

Pennington 16.5

McNair 17.1

Testaverde 17.5

Fiedler 18.0

Favre 18.7

Flutie 21.2

S. Matthews 25.6

Manning 27.9

Here are the career sack stats for many of today's (and one of yesterday's) QB's.  Rob Johnson's sack figures are simply amazing.  He was acked once every 6.8 pass attempts.  DB has a long way to go before he is in RJs class.  Bledsoe's career stats don't look too bad.  However, he's towards the top of the list for his Buffalo tenure.  Scanning through the list of names seems to indicate that for the most part sacks are more of a function of team play that QB nimbleness.  Manning and Testaverde are among the least often sacked while Vick, McNabb & Culpepper are among the most often sacked.

Pass attempts per sack

R.Johnson                   6.8

Vick               10.6

Bledsoe (Buf) 11.2

McNabb                 12.7

Hasselbeck 12.9

Culpepper                 13.2

Plummer                 14.6

T. Green                 15.4

Warner                 15.6

Brady                 15.9

Bledsoe (career)        16.1

Pennington                 16.5

McNair                 17.1

Testaverde 17.5

Fiedler                 18.0

Favre                 18.7

Flutie                 21.2

S. Matthews               25.6

Manning                 27.9

44554[/snapback]

One more interesting thing that i would like to add because this whole thing is misleading to people who don't realize it, is that everytime rj ran out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage that was a sack as well. And i can recall him doing that alot.

edited add on:

so thats why vick, culpepperand mcnabb are are among the most sacked because of ruuning out instead of taking an actual sack.

You know what is frustrating - when Bledsoe played for the Pats and Parcells, he was virtually impossible to sack. In 1994 he threw almost 700 passes and was sacked just 22 times. Even Bruce had a hard time getting to him (Can you say Bruce Armstrong).

Pass attempts per sack

R.Johnson                  6.8

Vick              10.6

McNabb                12.7

Hasselbeck 12.9

Culpepper                13.2

Plummer                14.6

T. Green                15.4

Warner                15.6

Brady                15.9

44554[/snapback]

But wait! The top 5 on the list are the mobile QBs that many are crying for! It is nice when somebody pulls up the stats to shut the mouths of the nay sayers.

But wait! The top 5 on the list are the mobile QBs that many are crying for! It is nice when somebody pulls up the stats to shut the mouths of the nay sayers.

44624[/snapback]

Holy stevestojan....your right. Get DB signed for another 5 years and trade that mobile piece of crap Losman ASAP. I bet he's getting sacked in his sleep! :lol:

Holy stevestojan....your right.  Get DB signed for another 5 years and trade that mobile piece of crap Losman ASAP.  I bet he's getting sacked in his sleep! :lol:

44627[/snapback]

Gee Losman can elude the rush so well behind a crappy line. He played behind a crappy line in college and was sack 50 times his senior year. What is your explination of that stat genious?

Gee Losman can elude the rush so well behind a crappy line. He played behind a crappy line in college and was sack 50 times his senior year. What is your explination of that stat genious?

44630[/snapback]

I agree with you. I have no explanation. I just said to cut him ASAP. Worst draft pick TD ever made. If he would have had access to these stats, he could have drafted another immobile QB instead! Thanks again for allowing me to see the light.

One thing I'd like to add w/ respect to mobile QBs & why they get sacked more frequently. In some instances, instead of throwing a ball away (or trying to force it somewhere), they opt instead to scramble. In some instances, the successful scramble results in them taking off & running for + yardage. In other cases, they are able to buy time so as to throw a better pass, However, a certain amount of time they will be unsuccessful in eluding the rush which will result in a sack whereas someone like a Marino or Manning would have throw the ball already.

Someone above made the very valid point that some of those sacks are results of them scrambling OB behind the LOS (a la RJ); something that a less mobile QB would not be able to do. (Bear in mind, that if someone big & fast is chasing you, it's easier & more importantly SAFER, to continue to run toward OB than to slow down to throw a pass.)

But basically my point is that for every scramble opportunity a QB takes relative to immediately throwing the ball, X % will result in a run, but Y will result in an otherwise not occurring sack. (note that X + Y <> 1.0)

Also, BTW, I recall that Randall Cunningham was one of the most sacked QBs. He was pretty mobile.

Guest Go2Montana
You know what is frustrating - when Bledsoe played for the Pats and Parcells, he was virtually impossible to sack.  In 1994 he threw almost 700 passes and was sacked just 22 times.  Even Bruce had a hard time getting to him (Can you say Bruce Armstrong).

44587[/snapback]

He completed a lot of passes with guys(who came around the ends) hanging off his legs back then. Nowaday s the pressure comes up the middle... miss Sam Gash...<_<

This is interesting, but I don’t think that the averages will be meaningful because as mentioned above all sacks are considered equal in this evaluation. Player A might scramble for a loss of -1 yards while player B gets hit 10 yards behind the line and fumbles - big difference.

I also wonder if intentional grounding is factored into these evaluations. Since the result tends to be at least as bad as a sack (usually worse), I would think that it should. Does anyone know if intentional grounding counts as a sack?

Sacks are truly an overrated stat. The big concern with Drew is that sacks lead to concussions/fogginess/turnovers and that they have had a snowball effect on his recent seasons as they add up.

Imo, it is hard to compare how many sacks Drew has suffered in the past as to now. Remember, since Drew came to the Bills, his circumstances were as follows:

1) Every offensive lineman who he has ever had the misfortune to lie up behind has been either...

a) A stoned bust. (Mike Williams), OR.....

B) Injury prone (Jennings).

c) Washed up (Ruben)

d) Undersized (Teague).

e) Flat out sucks (Pucillo, Tucker, and #75).

2) He has played for rookie headcoaches.

3) The assistants sucked.

4) His premier running back, Travis Gump, offers ZERO blocking, cannot catch, and lays the football on the carpet to the pleasure of our opponents.

Make sense?

Two last points.....by the above, I am NOT stating that Drew is not done. Who knows, he may very well have had his 'football brains" beaten in. In all probability, Losman will be the next to have his career ruined due to the Bills Organization neglecting the fundamental need of blocking. Also, stating the above does not make me less of a Bills fan than anybody here.

I love this team and WNY. I will be attending my 11th consecutive annual game next month. My support for the Bills will never diminish, but the team needs help in the front office, and in all probability, in the owner's box.

Sorry, but this is all too true.

This is simply another example of how you can find stats that prove points on any angle. Stats lie just as much as they tell the truth.

Those who watch the games and not the stat line know the reason for DB's penchant for picking himself off of the ground after 7 passing plays last Sunday. Its because he can't avoid the rush and the O-line can't protect him from it PERIOD.

If the Bills can't find blockers capable of blocking, then the obvious thing to do is find a QB who can elude the rush, or can roll and move the pocket, which DB does not have the mobility to do.

Even Matthews could possibly be an upgrade at this point.....who knows?

Imo, it is hard to compare how many sacks Drew has suffered in the past as to now. Remember, since Drew came to the Bills, his circumstances were as follows:

1) Every offensive lineman who he has ever had the misfortune to lie up behind has been either...

a) A stoned bust. (Mike Williams), OR.....

B) Injury prone (Jennings).

c) Washed up (Ruben)

d) Undersized (Teague).

e) Flat out sucks (Pucillo, Tucker, and #75).

2) He has played for rookie headcoaches.

3) The assistants sucked.

4) His premier running back, Travis Gump, offers ZERO blocking, cannot catch, and lays the football on the carpet to the pleasure of our opponents.

Make sense?

Bill.......very good/well reasoned post.DB still needs to go----but you make a lot of sense.---And given your logic(which i agree with)---TD needs to be gone even quicker than drew.

Two last points.....by the above, I am NOT stating that Drew is not done. Who knows, he may very well have had his 'football brains" beaten in. In all probability, Losman will be the next to have his career ruined due to the Bills Organization neglecting the fundamental need of blocking. Also, stating the above does not make me less of a Bills fan than anybody here.

I love this team and WNY. I will be attending my 11th consecutive annual game next month. My support for the Bills will never diminish, but the team needs help in the front office, and in all probability, in the owner's box.

Sorry, but this is all too true.

45569[/snapback]

Pass attempts per sack

R.Johnson                  6.8

Vick              10.6

Bledsoe (Buf) 11.2

McNabb                12.7

Hasselbeck 12.9

Culpepper                13.2

Plummer                14.6

T. Green                15.4

Warner                15.6

Brady                15.9

Pennington                16.5

McNair                17.1

Testaverde 17.5

Fiedler                18.0

Favre                18.7

Flutie                21.2

S. Matthews              25.6

Manning                27.9

44554[/snapback]

Is that our very own Shane Matthews at the top of this list ? Seems like he must have good pocket presense or gets rid of the ball quickly. Who's says he cant help us! I'm pissed now that MM wont put him in. The answer could be on our bench. Lets see what he can do.