Jim Rome

OnTheRocks

Where do you hope he ends up?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you hope he ends up?

• Radio
    • Satellite

I used to listen t him a bit a few years ago. But his act gets old quick and I don't miss him one little bit.

It does suck though that the Mighty 690 moved to some obscure AM radio station that I cant get anymore. Why did they move ? 690 has a strong signal in San Diego and LA.

608182[/snapback]

Ahhhh, the mighty 690 -- i grew up on that station. Good Times. I really miss the greatest sports talk radio personality in Southern California history -- Hacksaw. He was the franchise -- his "best 15 minutes in radio" was exactly that. Those 15 minutes were packed with as much info as you would get watching espn news all day long. How i miss ' Rancho Santa Margarita, I want to hear from you!' 'San Diego, show me your lightning bolt!' And, 'Chula Vista, I want a house wife!'.

Rome impersonates him from time to time, but its such an inside joke, I doubt 90% get it. I too can only take rome in very small doses.

We are lucky to have WGR, but guys like Howard, as nice as he is and as hard as he works...just can't hold a candle to hacksaw and the old mighty 690 lineup.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Rome.  I think he's smart and funny.........A few things bug me about him, but I can't believe that he has no supporters on this board!

608383[/snapback]

He may be smart, but I don't think he is at all funny. His repetitive style just irritates the crap out of me. The circle jerk that he has going on with his callers, and their "takes" make for very bad radio, IMO. A guy that I work with listens to him every day, online, and it really bugs the crap out of me.

The only credit I will give Rome, is that I think he does do a good interview. I just wish he did more of those, than taking phone calls. Plus, he is a self avowed Replacements fanatic, so I guess he may have some redeeming quality. He interviewed Paul Westerberg and Tommy Stinson, probably about 2 years ago now, and that was a great moment for his tired show...

Rome is a dork. His "slang" is hilarious, because he makes such a huge effort to sound cool. He fails. He's not entertaining, he's not funny, and his callers are pitiful because they all try to sound just like him.

But hell, if I could make that kind of "jack" reading e-mails from idiot listeners on the air I suppose I would.

I like Rome.  I think he's smart and funny.........A few things bug me about him, but I can't believe that he has no supporters on this board!

608383[/snapback]

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king, I guess.

Rome is a dork. His "slang" is hilarious, because he makes such a huge effort to sound cool. He fails. He's not entertaining, he's not funny, and his callers are pitiful because they all try to sound just like him.

But hell, if I could make that kind of "jack" reading e-mails from idiot listeners on the air I suppose I would.

608425[/snapback]

It kills me that he (and his supporters) seem to think he invented these slang terms. Earth to clones: people talked "Smack" before Rome.

608383[/snapback]

The deep sarcasm and negativity from him and his callers ("he sucks, she sucks, have a take, don't suck") wears thin. Instead of being uplifting, it just brings me down.

His TV show, however, avoids most of the negativity and juvenile "humor" and I find that watchable.

Ahhhh, the mighty 690 -- i grew up on that station.  Good Times.  I really miss the greatest sports talk radio personality in Southern California history -- Hacksaw.  He was the franchise -- his "best 15 minutes in radio" was exactly that. Those 15 minutes were packed with as much info as you would get watching espn news all day long.  How i miss ' Rancho Santa Margarita, I want to hear from you!'  'San Diego, show me your lightning bolt!'  And, 'Chula Vista, I want a house wife!'. 

Rome impersonates him from time to time, but its such an inside joke, I doubt 90% get it.  I too can only take rome in very small doses.

We are lucky to have WGR, but guys like Howard, as nice as he is and as hard as he works...just can't hold a candle to hacksaw and the old mighty 690 lineup.

608373[/snapback]

Yup, I agree, the best 15 min. of radio was truly the most info. packed 15 min. of radio on the planet. I would get all of my Bills news in a compressed convienent format. Almost as good was Bill Werndell and the Werndell wire because him and TD were buddies and he always had the best Bills scoops. I think Werndell moved to 1090 or something. I kind of lost track of him since 690 moved.

The way that.......Jim Rome......breaks up his..... sentences.....into four or five word......fragments.....as if we are all......too stupid to......comprehend.....anything longer than that.....gives me a raging.....desire......to jump through the........radio speaker.......and strangle him.....

The way that.......Jim Rome......breaks up his..... sentences.....into four or five word......fragments.....as if we are all......too stupid to......comprehend.....anything longer than that.....gives me a raging.....desire......to jump through the........radio speaker.......and strangle him.....

609206[/snapback]

Oh sure, Dobler...maybe you can keep up, but guys like me, well we appreciate the extra time to catch up.

Signed,

Monte Stickles

Think about it clones, Jim Rome on the satellite.  I mean just think about it.  It would be like, I don't know, some kind of astronaut thing.  Rome would speak and it would bounce off a satelite and come back to earth.  I mean freaking earth.  That would be hysterical.  Rome would talk, it would bounce off some freaking satelite and the clones would hear it on earth.  That is just freaking hysterical.  I would be like, did you hear Rome today and the answer would be yes, I heard him bounce off a freaking satelite.  That is truly classic.  Rome's vibes in outer space.  A freaking satellite, that is truly classic.

607875[/snapback]

that was excellent!

Rome's interview style bugs me -- if u ever notice, his guest will talk about some topic. Rome then simply repeats what the guy says, asking him a question which repeats what the guy just said. Hard to explain, here is an example:

"Jim, Manny Ramirez was on 3rd base, and just missed the squeeze sign. He's done that a couple of times this year, and in the dugout we were just, like, freakin' out at his lack of concentration."

Rome's next question: "Classic. Manny was on 3rd base, and everyone knows you have to look to the coach, concentrate, and get the sign right. What were the fellas thinking in the dugout?"

So the guest ends up repeating everything twice.

Think about it clones, Jim Rome on the satellite.  I mean just think about it.  It would be like, I don't know, some kind of astronaut thing.  Rome would speak and it would bounce off a satelite and come back to earth.  I mean freaking earth.  That would be hysterical.  Rome would talk, it would bounce off some freaking satelite and the clones would hear it on earth.  That is just freaking hysterical.  I would be like, did you hear Rome today and the answer would be yes, I heard him bounce off a freaking satelite.  That is truly classic.  Rome's vibes in outer space.  A freaking satellite, that is truly classic.

607875[/snapback]

RACK IT! :devil:

Had to give one more *bump* to an early candidate for Post of the Year....