Anybody know.....

ans4e64

can anybody tell me how the supplemental draft works? what is it used for and isnt there something the team have to give up if they pick? thanks

602754[/snapback]

It's usually used for special situations on college players having to do with eligibility and availability for the NFL draft. It is in addition to the NFL Draft, and works the same way. So the worst team that year, like The Texans, would get pick one in round one, and the Bills would get #8 and so on. There are certain players, maybe a dozen or more that have applied for the supplemental draft and were accepted. They are all available. The teams go through their picks and either pass or draft one of the players. If they take a player in the first round, they lose next year's pick in that round. You will rarely see a player taken in round one of the supplemental because they usually are not the best players. I believe bernie Kosar and a couple other players were taken in round one.

Usually teams just pass and pass until they feel a player on that list is worth that pick in that round, like the 3rd or 4th or 5th. If players on the list aren't drafted by anyone in the seven rounds, they become free agents like other college players not drafted.

It's usually used for special situations on college players having to do with eligibility and availability for the NFL draft. It is in addition to the NFL Draft, and works the same way. So the worst team that year, like The Texans, would get pick one in round one, and the Bills would get #8 and so on. There are certain players, maybe a dozen or more that have applied for the supplemental draft and were accepted. They are all available. The teams go through their picks and either pass or draft one of the players. If they take a player in the first round, they lose next year's pick in that round. You will rarely see a player taken in round one of the supplemental because they usually are not the best players. I believe bernie Kosar and a couple other players were taken in round one.

Usually teams just pass and pass until they feel a player on that list is worth that pick in that round, like the 3rd or 4th or 5th. If players on the list aren't drafted by anyone in the seven rounds, they become free agents like other college players not drafted.

602761[/snapback]

Just to clarify, say a junior right now decides to saty in school for the fall football season.Draft day comes and goes, and round bout May he realizes that by not going to a single calss, he is going to be declared academically ineligle for the fall semester. And he has already redshirted a year, so hes out of eligibility. He can than petiition the NFL to go into the supplemental draft.

I believe bernie Kosar and a couple other players were taken in round one.

602761[/snapback]

You are correct. In fact, I believe Kosar was taken with the #1 one pick in the supplemental draft, a pick Cleveland obtained from the Buffalo Bills in another one of those 'sweetheart deals' between Ralph Wilson and Art Modell.

The Bills were apparently convinced that the USFL was about to 'go under', and wisely waited for Jim Kelly.

602761[/snapback]

when does this draft occur about? and does it happen every year? why doesnt anybody talk about it? is it because most of the time nobody is selected? sorry for all the questions

when does this draft occur about? and does it happen every year? why doesnt anybody talk about it? is it because most of the time nobody is selected? sorry for all the questions

602801[/snapback]

What are you, a boy named Sue?

A simple google search will give you all the information. Last year it was July 10. yes it's every year, usually there are not good players. I think Drew Henson was picked two years ago in it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6452668

What are you, a boy named Sue?

A simple google search will give you all the information. Last year it was July 10. yes it's every year, usually there are not good players. I think Drew Henson was picked two years ago in it.

602804[/snapback]

Drew Henson, do you mean the Drew Henson who scored 42 on the Wonderlic? Why wasn't he tossing the ball for the winning team in the Super Bowl last year?

Drew Henson, do you mean the Drew Henson who scored 42 on the Wonderlic?  Why wasn't he tossing the ball for the winning team in the Super Bowl last year?

602831[/snapback]

:(0:):lol:

Oh, Jesus. You're just asking for another visit from the Village Idiot.

Last year it was July 10. yes it's every year, usually there are not good players. I think Drew Henson was picked two years ago in it.

602804[/snapback]

im pretty sure henson was picked in like the 6th round or something by the texans

Steve Walsh was the QB I remember being picked in the supplemental draft. Funny, because Dallas took Aikman #1 in the regular draft, then took Walsh in the supplemental, with their #1, thereby leading to Dallas not having a #1 in the 1990 draft. I guess they figured they would play the odds on QB until they found one.

Here's a good article on the supplemental draft...

im pretty sure henson was picked in like the 6th round or something by the texans

602917[/snapback]

You are correct.

Steve Walsh was the QB I remember being picked in the supplemental draft.  Funny, because Dallas took Aikman #1 in the regular draft, then took Walsh in the supplemental, with their #1, thereby leading to Dallas not having a #1 in the 1990 draft.  I guess they figured they would play the odds on QB until they found one.

Here's a good article on the supplemental draft...

602962[/snapback]

Actually Dallas did have a #1 in the 1990 draft. They had the Vikings 1st Rounder that year (thanks to the Herschel Walker trade). Which they packaged with a 3rd Rounder to Pittsburgh (who was managed by Tom Donahoe) to move up four spots to take Emmitt Smith. Pitt got Eric Green and some DT named Craig Veasey out of the deal.