Shayne Graham

nonprophet

Is this the same guy I witnessed miss a 49 yard field goal WAY SHORT during SF's 35-0 blowout of the Bills at Candlestick back in 2001?

602471[/snapback]

One and the same. Just like longtime NFLer Gary Anderson who was cut by the Bills way back in 1982. :wacko:

IIRC, he took over toward the end of the season for the (very) substandard Arians. Again, IIRC, he was adequate in his limited appearances.

Why he wasn't asked to training camp or even mini-camps the following season is what is perplexing and disturbing. If he had gotten beat out in preseason that's one thing, but we had what turned out to be a top notch kicker on our roster only to throw him away.

(But kickers are a dime a dozen, so I guess it's really no big deal, huh TD? :wacko: )

Is this the same guy I witnessed miss a 49 yard field goal WAY SHORT during SF's 35-0 blowout of the Bills at Candlestick back in 2001?

602471[/snapback]

At the time, he was a new kicker. I know I was saying at the time that this guy wasn't that good, and I'm glad he's one of the guys that perservered and became a pro bowler. The positive that I remember about Shayne that season was that he made a 45 yarder against Jacksonville that season to get our first win of the 2001-2002 season.

The positive that I remember about Shayne that season was that he made a 45 yarder against Jacksonville that season to get our first win of the 2001-2002 season.

602799[/snapback]

It was Arians who made that kick ... Graham joined the team later that season, after Arians missed an extra point against Miami.

One and the same. Just like longtime NFLer Gary Anderson who was cut by the Bills way back in 1982.  :(

602475[/snapback]

Perhaps you are unware of the situation surrounding Mr. Anderson's departure from the Bills.

GA was not pleased to be picked by the Bills in the NFL draft and, I believe, said so publicly. Anyway he proceed to (if my memory serves me correctly) miss EVERY FG attempt in pre-season. The Bills really had no choice but to cut him as he missed EVERY FG attempt in pre-season.

Many believe his poor display with the Bills was purposeful.

Perhaps you are unware of the situation surrounding Mr. Anderson's departure from the Bills. 

GA was not pleased to be picked by the Bills in the NFL draft and, I believe, said so publicly.  Anyway he proceed to (if my memory serves me correctly) miss EVERY FG attempt in pre-season.  The Bills really had no choice but to cut him as he missed EVERY FG attempt in pre-season.

Many believe his poor display with the Bills was purposeful.

602848[/snapback]

I don't recall a public statement, but yes, he wanted out. He had a "sweet" voice, and I wondered if some teammates got after him about that. Dunno.

I don't recall a public statement, but yes, he wanted out. He had a "sweet" voice, and I wondered if some teammates got after him about that. Dunno.

602855[/snapback]

Stop that, Cincy...or I'll give you SUCH a slap! (That kind of sweet?)

Nerver heard that, but it's pretty funny.

Forgot to mention that I've always DESPISED Gary Anderson for bagging out on the Bills and becomming one of the great FG kickers of all time.

To me Morton Anderson (sp?) is ALWAYS > than Gary Anderson..the little piss pot!

Stop that,...

602882[/snapback]

I think that getting a kicker is often a matter of dumb luck.

The B'gals ran Neil Rackers out of town (the poor schmuck kicked for two years on that cow pasture of a field that cheapie owner Mike Brown had to pay for in the first few years of his new, free stadium), and while they were busy picking their noses, Graham fell into their lap. :(

IIRC, he took over toward the end of the season for the (very) substandard Arians.  Again, IIRC, he was adequate in his limited appearances.

Why he wasn't asked to training camp or even mini-camps the following season is what is perplexing and disturbing.  If he had gotten beat out in preseason that's one thing, but we had what turned out to be a top notch kicker on our roster only to throw him away.

(But kickers are a dime a dozen, so I guess it's really no big deal, huh TD?  0:) )

602505[/snapback]

Nobody was complaining when we replaced him with Mike Hollis and Hollis had a good season after a season of uncertainty with rookie kickers. The problem was after Hollis' one Bills season he wanted too much money, signed with the Giants, hurt his back & never played in the NFL again. When we let Graham go, Hollis was a much better kicker than him & there was no sense bringing him into camp.

Nobody was complaining when we replaced him with Mike Hollis and Hollis had a good season after a season of uncertainty with rookie kickers.  The problem was after Hollis' one Bills season he wanted too much money, signed with the Giants, hurt his back & never played in the NFL again.  When we let Graham go, Hollis was a much better kicker than him & there was no sense bringing him into camp.

603267[/snapback]

Thats not true.

I mean its somewhat true, except for the too much money talk. Hollis wanted what vet kickers were getting, around 1 million, thats what everyone thought, but he signed a 5 year around $4 million deal with the Giants, which it turned out he never kicked for because of an injury.

The Bills turned around and gave 1.2 million a season to Lindell. As it turned out. it looks like Lindell is finally becomming a kicker and Hollis wont kick again.