Bills working on Moulds' situation

Bills | Team exploring options with Moulds

Mon, 13 Feb 2006 17:30:08 -0800

The Associated Press reports the Buffalo Bills are exploring their options concerning WR Eric Moulds. He is scheduled to make $7.1 million in salary next season and would count about $11 million toward the salary cap. If the team chooses to release Moulds in March, the cap savings would amount to roughly $5.5 million. "I know Eric had an unsettling season last year," general manager Marv Levy said. "We hope we can work something out so he can be here. Restructuring is possible." Head coach Dick Jauron said he hasn't talked to Moulds yet but hopes to within the coming weeks.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one hope that the Bills find a way to retain Moulds. The talent on this team is not too far removed from being competitive. I do believe that the glaring weaknesses that we have on both the defensive and offensive lines will be addressed and rectified to a somewhat satisfactory degree. In my eyes that would basicly just leave the QB position as a unknown factor. Without Moulds who would know how much of a impact it would have for JP or whoever mans this position.

I for one hope that the Bills find a way to retain Moulds.

Agreed.

If Moulds wont restructure his contract DRASTICALLY then show him the door and get a FA receiver in here.

602474[/snapback]

That's pretty much a given.

I guess we'll see where Moulds' heart lies. I can't blame him if he takes a walk, but would like to see him restructure and try to help the team rebuild. However, this is a guy that has been on a bad team pretty much his whole career. I wouldn't blame him for wanting to stretch his wings and try to get some glory in the twilight of his career.

CUT HIS A$$ AND GET TO. TO IN DENVER IS A WASTE - TO IN THE SNOW IN BUFFALO WITH RAMS PASS HAPPY OC = TD!!!!!

602479[/snapback]

I really hope you're not under the delusion that T.O. would give the Bills the time of day. Not enough spotlight in a city like Buffalo for that egomaniac.

You know...just a thought...would it be possible to TRADE Eric Moulds and still get the cap savings? I'm not sure how that would work in terms of who pays what part of his contract...and I know it would be difficult to find a team willing to take his huge numbers, but I'd hope if he wants to leave we could at least try and work out some compensation from another team.

You know...just a thought...would it be possible to TRADE Eric Moulds and still get the cap savings?  I'm not sure how that would work in terms of who pays what part of his contract...and I know it would be difficult to find a team willing to take his huge numbers, but I'd hope if he wants to leave we could at least try and work out some compensation from another team.

602487[/snapback]

Unfortunately, the Bills would take the cap hit.

I guess we'll see where Moulds' heart lies.  I can't blame him if he takes a walk, but would like to see him restructure and try to help the team rebuild.  However, this is a guy that has been on a bad team pretty much his whole career.  I wouldn't blame him for wanting to stretch his wings and try to get some glory in the twilight of his career.

602483[/snapback]

I agree, totally.. I think Eric needs to go regardless of whether he'd accept a paycut. Are we gonna get the same kind of threat in a FA WR? Probably not. But, Eric deserves the chance to compete on a contender. (Phili, K.C. or S.D.) Not to mention, J.P. deserves a WR that won't try to retard his growth as a QB.

He would have to restructure and add a year or two, with a significant cut. The NFL only allows a 30% pay cut and if his salary is 7+ mil, it's still too much for us to pay for him to just take a cut. And he could probably get more on the open market than we are willing to pay him and still make it feasible to us. It's going to be close. I really don't know what the marketplace will be for a guy like Moulds, but there are a lot of teams that could use a player like him.

Unfortunately, the Bills would take the cap hit.

Bills take the hit either way (cut or trade). Problem is, if it becomes evident we will cut him if we cant trade him, our bargaining ability goes down drastically (see LJ Shelton last year).

In addition, there might not be a big benefit to another team trading for moulds. They have to honor his salary for 06, or restructure his contract. It might be cost benefitial for them to just sign him as a FA.

What do you think Moulds' value is for 2006 (capwise)? About 4 - 4.5 million on a one year deal? Or is he headed more towards the 2-3 million dollar range?

I don't think it is really fair to question the guy's heart when it is a near certainty he'd accept his current contract if that were a viable option. The Bills are almost certainly going to cut him, and he'll have to move on. I don't think he's ever played with a QB that was in the top half of the league talent wise and it's not clear to me if he's past his prime or on the tail end of it.

He could be really solid as a number two in a good offense, but what does Eric Moulds want at this stage in his career? Money or wins?

What do you think Moulds' value is for 2006 (capwise)? About 4 - 4.5 million on a one year deal? Or is he headed more towards the 2-3 million dollar range?

I don't think it is really fair to question the guy's heart when it is a near certainty he'd accept his current contract if that were a viable option. The Bills are almost certainly going to cut him, and he'll have to move on. I don't think he's ever played with a QB that was in the top half of the league talent wise and it's not clear to me if he's past his prime or on the tail end of it.

He could be really solid as a number two in a good offense, but what does Eric Moulds want at this stage in his career? Money or wins?

I'd be thinking wins. He's actually been one of the highest-paid WR's in the NFL these past 4 years and is probably looking for a winning team. That COULD be with the Bills, but not at his current salary, or even what they would be allowed to cut him down to (30%). So I think he's gone.

I agree, totally.. I think Eric needs to go regardless of whether he'd accept a paycut. Are we gonna get the same kind of threat in a FA WR? Probably not. But, Eric deserves the chance to compete on a contender. (Phili, K.C. or S.D.) Not to mention, J.P. deserves a WR that won't try to retard his growth as a QB.

602495[/snapback]

Phili/KC contenders ??? L O L...KC and that D wont be contenders til about'09

If Moulds wont restructure his contract DRASTICALLY then show him the door and get a FA receiver in here.

602474[/snapback]

The problem is that a player cannot drastically reduce their contract. They can only reduce their salary due to them by somewhere around 10-20%. He could restructure it so that he gets a signing bonus with in 10-20% of what he is due this year but that is then prorated over the term of the extension. So unless he stays with us for the length of the contract we will take the hit next year or the year after instead of this year.

The problem is that a player cannot drastically reduce their contract. They can only reduce their salary due to them by somewhere around 10-20%. He could restructure it so that he gets a signing bonus with in 10-20% of what he is due this year but that is then prorated over the term of the extension. So unless he stays with us for the length of the contract we will take the hit next year or the year after instead of this year.

602571[/snapback]

I think I just read it's 30% maximum cut.