(OT) Do the idiots running the NHL realize ...

Do the idiots running the NHL realize that they are going to kill professional hockey in North America? The sport I love (second only to football) at its highest level is being ruined. It's unfathomable to me that these guys would even consider killing the season, yet it's happening. Reminds me of the time the WNBA threatened a strike and nobody noticed ... Guess those TV ratings must've gone to their heads. Now, when they do come back, they risk being pased in the TV ratings by Texas Hold 'Em ...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the idiots running the NHL realize that they are going to kill professional hockey in North America? The sport I love (second only to football) at its highest level is being ruined. It's unfathomable to me that these guys would even consider killing the season, yet it's happening. Reminds me of the time the WNBA threatened a strike and nobody noticed ... Guess those TV ratings must've gone to their heads. Now, when they do come back,  they risk being pased in the TV ratings by Texas Hold 'Em ...

44083[/snapback]

I dont understand the why people reach the conclusion that this is going to kill the NHL. Its not like they havent striked before. I think there is a chance that some teams may go under because of this but to me thats a upside. There are too many teams as it is in cities that have no business having one. If 4 or 5 teams go down so be it. It will improve the quality and depth of the other teams.

I dont understand the why people reach the conclusion that this is going to kill the NHL. Its not like they havent striked before. I think there is a chance that some teams may go under because of this but to me thats a upside. There are too many teams as it is in cities that have no business having one. If 4 or 5 teams go down so be it. It will improve the quality and depth of the other teams.

44088[/snapback]

Even if one of those teams happens to be the Sabres? That might not go over so well in this neck of the woods.... and considering their recent trip through bankruptcy, it's not nearly as far-fetched as some might think. Golisano may have bailed them out when he bought them, but an astute businessman (I'd say TG qualifies there) also knows when to fold up the tent. When the possibility exists that the Sabres could be financially better off if the 2004-05 season ISN'T played, that's gotta tell you something right there....

Oh, there will still be some semblance of an NHL when this is over. But other than the die-hard hockey fans (and I include myself in that group), will anyone care? Or even notice, for that matter?

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

People obviously care in Northern areas, because it is what we are used to. It boggles the mind that these players are THAT STUPID... They would rather risk a lckout and fan apathy over salary money they will lose ANYWAY because NHL teams can't afford what they are asking for, which is outrageous!

SAD.

The only " Ratings " they get are with regional cable deals. When a game is carried nationally by ESPN or ABC, they garner lower ratings than a dog show. That sport cannot justify any salary higher than 2-3 Mil a year. The gate and major TV network revenue is not there.

Ever go to a Sabres game during the week ? They're lucky if 7,000 people are in the stands. They have trouble selling out on Friday nights.

I can think of 5 teams from the get go that would be canned ahead of the Sabres.

Phoenix

Columbus

Minnesota

Nashville

Carolina

Get rid of these teams. It helps consolidate the NHL more in Canada where the bigger interest is. Then, contract the schedule to maybe 72 or 65 games - make playoff games best of 5, not 7 - and the wildcars are best of 1.

It is not the heads of the league or the owners really that are fault in my mind. They need some sort of salary cap and the players dont want it at all. They want their money thats that. So the owners finally smarted up and will hold till they get some sort off cap.

NHL players + NHL owners = Complete Dumba$$es

Way to kill the goose that laid the 'Cadbury' egg, guys. It sure as hell ain't layin' golden eggs. Nice TV contract...on par with the AFL. AF friggin' L?? And you're going to support $8-10 million contracts how?

Greed...one of the "Seven Deadly Sins". :devil:

Alright, First time posting on this board and I never thought it would be about hockey.

I'm from Montreal, Canada. And up here Hockey is a religion. Go anywhere in Canada and you know you'll be able to talk hockey with pretty much anyone you meet.

Us up here don't have a rating problem or people don't care. WE INVENTED THIS SPORT, we care as hell, it's gonna be a long winter without it.

Canadians everywhere are going insane at this lockout. I know it's not the same in the Staes because hockey is not regarded the same way as say football or baseball.

I tend to side with the owners on this matter but also at the same time they are the idiots that put themselves in this mess.

Teams could disappear and frankly that would be a good thing for hockey. Too many stupid teams for nothing in the NHL. What does the desert have to do with hockey anyway?????

What does the desert have to do with hockey anyway?????

44153[/snapback]

Exactly!! and welcome to the board... B)

The whole American NHL coverage forgets that in Canada, the NHL is a huge deal - the biggest deal there is. People go in droves to see Canadian teams play - and HNIC is one of the most watched TV events on the schedules.

The problem with Hockey interest rests solely in the US - and as a result - a draw down on the number of US teams would be no bad thing.

yeah, sad but true.

For example, last season there was the first ever outdoor NHL game!!!!

it was showed coast to coast in Canada. Tens of thousands of fans were outside sitting in -30 weather for HOURS with their blankets watching first the old timers game then the regular game between Edmonton and Montreal. Sadly though not one US Network aired that game.

Canadians may not be as rich as the american teams (besides Toronto) but their fans are hardcore

this is good for the nhl. it will shrink the balloon back down to where it belongs.

Ever go to a Sabres game during the week ? They're lucky if 7,000 people are in the stands. They have trouble selling out on Friday nights. 

that's got nothing to do with the structure of the nhl and more to do with the fact that the sabres suck. There were scalpers downtown on a nightly basis just 3 or 4 years ago. buffalo has a top 5 fanbase in the league. The only issue that keeps fans from coming to games is quality of play. They simply have been terrible since rigas started to get tailed by the government (see dom hasek/peca trade)

I can think of 5 teams from the get go that would be canned ahead of the Sabres.

Phoenix

Columbus

Minnesota

Nashville

Carolina

Get rid of these teams. It helps consolidate the NHL more in Canada where the bigger interest is. Then, contract the schedule to maybe 72 or 65 games - make playoff games best of 5, not 7 - and the wildcars are best of 1.

44134[/snapback]

Ummm, Minnesota has sold out *every* game in their history. It's a VERY tough ticket to get here. I know, I spent $50/ticket for $10 tickets to the home opener last year for my wife's anniversary gift (she's a huge Wild fan). Hockey is synonymous with Minnesota - kids here lace up the skates when they're 3. The only reason Minnesota didn't have hockey for several years was because the owner moved the Stars to Dallas for a sweet deal. People were (and still are) pissed off at that and everyone here HATES the Stars (I hate them doubly since they cheated to get a Stanley Cup).

Hell, the World Cup of Hockey even played most of their games here this month, and tickets for that were selling for over $300!

No way does hockey ever leave Minnesota again.

CW

Sundin

Khabibulin

to  name just two players who would be excluded if that rule was enforced.

dumb idea.

44198[/snapback]

But no worse than your idea of eliminating Minnesota from the league ;)

(sorry, you struck a nerve as I go to 10-15 games a year :devil: ).

CW

No worries JP. With any luck the NHL as a league will fold and the vacuum will be filled by a league that cares more about the game than it does it's American TV demographic.

The NHL has been virtually unwatchable for several years now. Between the 7 extra teams, the tiny rinks, the use of centerred for anything but icing and the refusal of zebras to keep a handle on the 150 undertalented waterskiers who don't even belong in the big league, the league has become nothing mroe than a poor imitation of the world's second greatest sport.

I, for one, hope the small-minded, lawyer-infested, short-sighted NHL never ever returns. If I have to go w/o pro hockey for a couple years to get a fresh start, then so be it.

Cya