What would you do if you were Houston?

ACor58

I think that was a good move on their part. Considering that the kid has not had anything close to an offensive line in the last 4 years it would be tough to give up on him. That should put an end to some of the folks who were pushing to draft Vince Young because he was "from Houston".

So that means that they are probably going to draft Reggie Bush. They need help in so many other areas I cannot believe that they are not trying to shop this pick. I know that I am nowhere near being qualified to be an NFL GM, but it just doesn't make sense. Reggie Bush is an amazing talent but he also played with one of the best supporting casts in all of college football.

It amazes me how Houston could probably take that pick and gain so much, like the Cowboys did when they traded Herschel to the Vikings, but they are going to pick Bush instead.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that was a good move on their part. Considering that the kid has not had anything close to an offensive line in the last 4 years it would be tough to give up on him. That should put an end to some of the folks who were pushing to draft Vince Young because he was "from Houston".

So that means that they are probably going to draft Reggie Bush. They need help in so many other areas I cannot believe that they are not trying to shop this pick. I know that I am nowhere near being qualified to be an NFL GM, but it just doesn't make sense. Reggie Bush is an amazing talent but he also played with one of the best supporting casts in all of college football.

It amazes me how Houston could probably take that pick and gain so much, like the Cowboys did when they traded Herschel to the Vikings, but they are going to pick Bush instead.

599976[/snapback]

i agree, it would be in houston's best interest to shop the pick around so they can move lower in the draft and address the real need -- OL.......they could move down to the 4-7 range, pick up a bounty of picks (likely a first rounder from next year) and still have a shot at brick.......

as well, they already have davis, who signed a long-term extension not that long ago.......trading him will mean a good chunk of dead cap money.......

".

599976[/snapback]

I am not convinced of this. Remember, Kubiak has seen what you can do with the right blocking schemes in Denver. So seems to me Bush would not be his pick. OTOH, Denver also uses smaller lineman who can move, so is this D'Brick? Just so much disinformation put out by teams before the draft.

If I'm Houston, I draft and sign as many offensive linemen as possible. Let Bush go to somebody else for more picks if possible. That's not gonna happen though...

600007[/snapback]

That is what I am thinking too. Could you imagine how nuts the people in Houston would go though.

599976[/snapback]

The question is who wants to trade up?

Some team with a real bad need (Jets) for a young QB or RB (Jets) but not think that another QB or RB (Jets) at the position they are at now will be good enough.

Houston could move back a few spots and pick up Ferguson and some extra picks if the Jets want to get ahead of N.O to draft Leinart.

Other then that move I don't see a team that wants to move up to the first pick.

So if Houston is stuck with the first pick do they pick Bush or Mario Williams or Ferguson?

Bush could make the O-line better and Carr better because he is such a threat. Ferguson would make Carr better and Williams could make the defense line better.

What would you do? Bush for me!

The question is who wants to trade up?

Some team with a real bad need (Jets) for a young QB or RB (Jets) but not think that another QB or RB (Jets) at the position they are at now will be good enough.

Houston could move back a few spots and pick up Ferguson and some extra picks if the Jets want to get ahead of N.O to draft Leinart.

Other then that move I don't see a team that wants to move up to the first pick.

So if Houston is stuck with the first pick do they pick Bush or Mario Williams or Ferguson?

Bush could make the O-line better and Carr better because he is such a threat. Ferguson would make Carr better and Williams could make the defense line better.

What would you do?  Bush for me!

600042[/snapback]

obviously bush will be the pick if they stay put........

as for potential suitors for the first pick (and the rights to bush):

packers -- green and davenport are FA's

cards -- arrington has been a bust

ravens -- lewis is a FA

pats -- dillon is long in the tooth and they have stockpiled picks once again

You would think they would have found some way to protect the guy by now. Carr was a blue chipper by any standards and I've not watched him enough to decide whether he was a bust (but I would find that hard to believe.) That being said extending him sounds good, but I'd make a huge commitment to get him some help. Actually if I were Carr I would want to hear that commitment from management before extending.

Houston would be best suited whoring off the #1 overall pick to the highest bidder. Look what the Chargers got for Eli a few years ago. I believe they turned the #1 pick into 4 picks by moving down 3 spots. Sure Bush is a gamebreaker, but its not what houston needs, they need an o-line. Trade down 4-6 spots, acquire an extra 2nd or 3rd and a 4th/5th in this draft, along with a first rounder in '07, and they are sitting pretty, and can turn the team around in a hurry.

Sure, they can draft bush, and they'll be 4-12 next year with a few 80 yard TD's in the mix. As for what the fans want, screw 'em. We all know what Marv has said about listening to the fans.

obviously bush will be the pick if they stay put........

as for potential suitors for the first pick (and the rights to bush):

packers -- green and davenport are FA's

cards -- arrington has been a bust

ravens -- lewis is a FA

pats -- dillon is long in the tooth and they have stockpiled picks once again

600047[/snapback]

The injury factor at the RB position makes trading up not likely. I know it has happened but I just don't know about moving up to the first pick of the draft for a RB. You would have to give up too much and great RB's can be picked in any round. But that is just my opinion.

Packers at#5- could take L. White or in the secound round a lot of potential RB's.

Cards- need a lot more then RB and unless they feel Leinart is a need I don't see it. But stranger things have happen.

Ravens at #13 Would have to give up a lot but they might try. I just don't think Houston wants to move back that far but it's possible.

Patriots - Do you really think that Houston wants to move back to the # 21 st pick of the first round when they have the very 1st pick?

Like I said teams will move up for a QB but I just don't see it happening for a RB. But it has happened (Ricky Williams) Not the first pick but was projected as the first pick. Maybe that will happen for Bush! :angry:

The talent level of Reggie Bush is off the charts. He's a once in a decade or more player. He is far more powerful and strong than he is given credit for by some. The problem is, I don't see him as a full time RB. He really needs to be what he was in college, which is half RB and half WR. And he could cause fits for every defense he faces, regardless of whether his OL is full of all-pros, because half the time he touches the ball it is not going to be a straight run or pitch out. The blocking scheme is going to be more important than the blocking talent. And the plays run almost as important as the players running them. He's a total aberration. But he's phenomenal.

The next problem is does your coach have the wherewithal to know how to use him. That could be the whole key. I am not sure Kubiak is that guy, although he is known for being an astute and creative offensive mind. But so was Mike Mularkey. If Bush is not used correctly, he could be a 50-60 million bust. But then again so could any player. Yeah, they could trade down, but if I were them, I would take him.

The talent level of Reggie Bush is off the charts. He's a once in a decade or more player.

600083[/snapback]

Kelly - I agree that Bush is a rare talent but I don't think he will help bring Houston a championship. A solid offensive line and a better defense will though. I agree that he will not be a full time RB and needs to be used properly. Now I am not saying it is the exact same thing, but remember how dominant Desmond Howard was in college?

And you know this............................how?

600089[/snapback]

Because I just had breakfast with Bob McNair.

Don't be an @sshole, Of course I don't know this as a fact, but from what most media outlets have reported (which have been wrong before, I know) they have Houston picking Bush.

Kelly - I agree that Bush is a rare talent but I don't think he will help bring Houston a championship. A solid offensive line and a better defense will though. I agree that he will not be a full time RB and needs to be used properly. Now I am not saying it is the exact same thing, but remember how dominant Desmond Howard was in college?

600093[/snapback]

Well first, I know you're not really comparing the two, but to mention Desmond Howard in this discussion adds nothing. It's nothing of the same thing. The way some extremely respected and normally careful football people talk about Reggie Bush is akin to the old Monty Python "Piranha Brothers" skit where the guy says "I've seen grown men pul their own heads off rather than see Doug." Because it's true. This guy is a freak.

But the point is, that sure they need linemen, and that Bush isn't going to win them a championship this year, but D'Brick ain't gonna either. The Rams weren't suddenly great when they got Orlando Pace. And any player could be a bust. The Texans are three years from being a legitimate contender. They have holes everywhere. I think you take the freak. But it's a crapshoot either way.

They have holes everywhere. I think you take the freak. But it's a crapshoot either way.

600108[/snapback]

Can't disagree with his talent or his upside. My point in the thread was to trade the #1 to stockpile picks, will bring more help sooner.

Can't disagree with his talent or his upside. My point in the thread was to trade the #1 to stockpile picks, will bring more help sooner.

600111[/snapback]

You may be right. My point is that you can trade the pick down and pick up a high number one and a couple other high picks. Say a #4 and a #28 and maybe a #45. But if you would look back at drafts and see what happened to the players at those three picks, you're probably better off with the #1, if he is Reggie Bush. But there is no way of knowing, and there are pros and cons to either school of thought. Furthermore, if this was last year, I would be all for the Texans trading down. But I just think Reggie Bush is a ridiculous weapon, and I don't like USC.

Plus, three years from now, the Texans roster is not going to resemble its present day roster. They will have a bunch of new linemen and a few new receivers and maybe a new quarterback anyway. College players in the first few rounds are so erratic, and their tragectory is almost total luck rather than being able to consistently draft the right players (with those extra picks by trading down). Think of who may be selecting these extra draft picks for the Texans. Are you confident they are going to make three sterling choices instead of the obvious one?