Jauron- Yale, Levy- Harvard

Shamrock

A mate of mine made mention that DJ went to Yale, studying history and ML did a Masters in English History at Harvard. He wondered if there is anything to be taken from the Ivy League association? It seemed that Levy had DJ in his sights from the get go, now the conspircay adds a little flavour...i guess somethings got to lighten up the now long off season, particularly as we head to the yawn Winter Olympics and the even bigger yawn, Commonwealth Games-go Nauru... :(

A mate of mine made mention that DJ went to Yale, studying history and ML did a Masters in English History at Harvard. He wondered if there is anything to be taken from the Ivy League association? It seemed that Levy had DJ in his sights from the get go, now the conspircay adds a little flavour...i guess somethings got to lighten up the now long off season, particularly as we head to the yawn Winter Olympics and the even bigger yawn, Commonwealth Games-go Nauru... :(

598135[/snapback]

Well, I hope Ralph realizes that an Ivy League education is no guarantee of brilliance. Yeah, Jauron may have gone to Yale, and Levy to Harvard, but remember, George W. Bush went to both! :(

598135[/snapback]

What I don't understand about people suggesting an Ivy League conspiracy is that Harvard and Yale are rivals. It's like someone alleging a Big 10 conspiracy because a GM from Michigan hires a head coach from OSU. If anything, the fact that Jauron went to Yale probably worked against him.

A question for the board....

Is it really THAT impressive that someone received their undergraduate (or even their Master's) from Harvard or Yale? I understand that it is probably unique among NFL coaches, but I don't understand the fawning over this issue. ESPECIALLY when they majored in such subjects as history. :lol: Might as well have majored in beer and tail if you ask me.

Anyhow, Harvard med/law is one thing... Undergraduate study in the liberal arts from these schools produces a great big yawn from me.

Is it really THAT impressive that someone received their undergraduate (or even their Master's) from Harvard or Yale? I understand that it is probably unique among NFL coaches, but I don't understand the fawning over this issue. ESPECIALLY when they majored in such subjects as history.  :lol:  Might as well have majored in beer and tail if you ask me.

Anyhow, Harvard med/law is one thing... Undergraduate study in the liberal arts from these schools produces a great big yawn from me.

598875[/snapback]

You are of course entitled to your opinion... and no one should automatically assume that the college one attends is the best determinant of that person's intelligence, but as a Harvard History Major (there, I said it), I would say that it does mean something to be smart enough to get into the school. Whether that makes one a good football coach is another matter, but I would think that someone with an education from any college, be it in the liberal arts or computer science, would be smart enough not to denigrate an entire discipline, or dismiss it with a yawn.

Go Bills!

Is it really THAT impressive that someone received their undergraduate (or even their Master's) from Harvard or Yale? I understand that it is probably unique among NFL coaches, but I don't understand the fawning over this issue. ESPECIALLY when they majored in such subjects as history.  :lol:  Might as well have majored in beer and tail if you ask me.

598875[/snapback]

I'm pretty much with you there, SDS. There are smart people and dolts in every school (at both the graduate and undergraduate level). Of course, as people go through life they (well, most of them) show their true colors.

As far as the Bills brain trust being from Ivy League schools, I think it's a non-issue...both ways.

On the other hand, that Marv is one of the more learned and articulate men in the business is VERY important, IMO. I really don't know all that much about Dickie.

Guest BackInDaDay
You are of course entitled to your opinion... and no one should automatically assume that the college one attends is the best determinant of that person's intelligence, but as a Harvard History Major (there, I said it), I would say that it does mean something to be smart enough to get into the school. Whether that makes one a good football coach is another matter, but I would think that someone with an education from any college, be it in the liberal arts or computer science, would be smart enough not to denigrate an entire discipline, or dismiss it with a yawn.

Go Bills!

598878[/snapback]

Shuddup and give me another order of fries!

Just playin' :lol:

...I went to Monash University and La Trobe University. If I had gone to Melbourne it may count in some circles, otherwise we just don't have the population for University conspiracy theorists. It was just something that a mate noted from far away...Melbourne...bring on the draft, or at least a tidbit of JP being in Buffalo and Jauron being "blown" away with how far he's come with the playbook...yawn

:lol:  Might as well have majored in beer and tail if you ask me.

598875[/snapback]

Thank you so much for that SDS!!! Having never attended college outside of a two month training program, you have made me feel much better about my lot in life. Like I didn't throw it all away for nothing!!! :lol:

I may not be as educated as them, but I bet I have a lot more laughs and pieces than they do :lol:

Go Bills!

598878[/snapback]

Ironically, I was going to point out that if someone told me in conversation that they went to Harvard/Yale and studied history the following things would go through my head:

1a: This person must have been pretty accomplished in high screwel or

1b: This person must be the offspring of an alumni or

1c: This person is filthy rich.... :lol:

2: Why did this person waste 4 years? I hope they got more ass than a toilet seat at least...

3. Yawn...

To restate my original point - it appears as though people make over the top statements w/ regards to their intelligence simply based on the fact of where they went to school. Maybe I'm not as easily impressed at someone's undergraduate/Master's degree as others. Now, if someone went through Harvard Law or Harvard Med, etc... then to me, that is where I tip my hat. However, an undergraduate history degree from any school makes me giggle... I'm sorry if that offends you. :lol:

Ironically, I was going to point out that if someone told me in conversation that they went to Harvard/Yale and studied history the following things would go through my head:

1c: This person is filthy rich....  :lol:

2: Why did this person waste 4 years? I hope they got more ass than a toilet seat at least...

3. Yawn...

To restate my original point - it appears as though people make over the top statements w/ regards to their intelligence simply based on the fact of where they went to school.  Maybe I'm not as easily impressed at someone's undergraduate/Master's degree as others.  Now, if someone went through Harvard Law or Harvard Med, etc... then to me, that is where I tip my hat.  However, an undergraduate history degree from any school makes me giggle... I'm sorry if that offends you.  :lol:

598934[/snapback]

Whatever helps you sleep at night, Mr. Haaaavard Reject...

:lol:

Whatever helps you sleep at night, Mr. Haaaavard Reject...

:lol:

598948[/snapback]

:lol::lol::lol:

Actually, a Cornell reject... :lol:

My point is not to denigrate (well, as an engineer I'm sort of obligated to razz the liberal arts majors wherever they have studied :o ), but to say that I would neither look up, nor look down at any Ivy League undergraduate.

However, it appears I may be in the minority, so I am just trying to guage other people's opinions...

1c: This person is filthy rich....  :lol:

3. Yawn...

To restate my original point - it appears as though people make over the top statements w/ regards to their intelligence simply based on the fact of where they went to school.  Maybe I'm not as easily impressed at someone's undergraduate/Master's degree as others.  Now, if someone went through Harvard Law or Harvard Med, etc... then to me, that is where I tip my hat.  However, an undergraduate history degree from any school makes me giggle... I'm sorry if that offends you.  :lol:

598934[/snapback]

No, you're not, but thanks for pretending to be. :lol:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Actually, a Cornell reject...  :lol:

My point is not to denigrate (well, as an engineer I'm sort of obligated to razz the liberal arts majors  wherever they have studied :o ), but to say that I would neither look up, nor look down at any Ivy League undergraduate.

However, it appears I may be in the minority, so I am just trying to guage other people's opinions...

598987[/snapback]

I wouldn't say you're in the minority - most people realize that both Harvard and Yale produce their fair share of intellectual non-entities, i.e., Yale - George Bush; Harvard - Ted Kennedy.

Now as for Cornell, well...we're all just freakin' brilliant! :lol:

As stated earlier, the man distinguishes the place, not the place the man.

My point is not to denigrate (well, as an engineer I'm sort of obligated to razz the liberal arts majors  wherever they have studied :lol: ), but to say that I would neither look up, nor look down at any Ivy League undergraduate.

598987[/snapback]

And yeah, I was a Liberal Arts major...but man, I can still differentiate by parts...and there's no holding me back when I reach my local maximum. :lol:

598987[/snapback]

Maybe I disagree with you (and The Dean) in the sense that I think the best and brightest American minds DO tend to come from the Ivies and the other top schools. Statistically speaking, they do. Fewer than 1% of all American adults will have ever had the academic qualification necessary to get into an Ivy, and about 5-10% tops could make it through the easiest Ivy program if accepted - even history BA at Harvard! So if you're not among the top 10% intellects in the country, maybe an Ivy degree would seem impressive (unless you're a top 10% intellect at a "lesser" school for whatever personal reason - financial or other). Hey, if your son or daughter got accepted to one of these programs, wouldn't you be proud? Certainly you wouldn't "yawn" at such an accomplishment early in his/her life, right?

Your perception of the Ivies as a sort of "rich boy network" also seems outdated. Undergrad acceptances at Ivies moved from social status-based to merit-based decades ago. Many still happen to be rich, but that's because there's still a strong correlation with wealth and aptitude, i.e. doctors and lawyers tend to have and raise smart children who can pump out the high school GPA's and SAT scores needed for Ivy admittance.

Finally, I don't think liberal arts degrees are anything to laugh at, especially at the top schools. I'm sure there are some burn-outs who do nothing but drink, bang hot chicks, and take communications courses after getting accepted into an Ivy. But the vast majority probably continue to remain pretty serious about whatever their academic interests become - history or the like. A typical Harvard-qualified liberal arts major isn't the same personality as a typical Dumb!@#$ U. liberal arts major - just a guess.

However, I DO completely agree with you in the sense that those who constantly look up to or - even worse - brag about these degrees are pathetic human beings. A Cornell engineer, for example, would be wise to STFU if he's constantly screwing up at your engineering firm while you, SDS, with your questionable academic pedigree ( :lol: ) are doing laps around the other employees.

Back to the original subject, no I don't think there's an Ivy League conspiracy at OBD. Jauron probably would have gotten the job even if he graduated from Dumb!@#$ U. Levy wanted a smart, competent leader for the job. Levy saw a smart, competent leader in Jauron. And yes, there are smart, competent leaders who come out of Dumb!@#$ U....though percentage-wise, there are undoubtedly less of them than at Harvard or Yale.

WOW! :lol: OK, rant over.