Who's the greatest Bills Rb of all-time?

Guest BackInDaDay
how about Bobby Burnett?  I believe he was the AFL Rookie of the Year before he was injured.  Short but very brilliant career at RB

597638[/snapback]

Man, you got me with that one! Are we talkin' pre-Gilchrest? :D

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BackInDaDay
1966 pro-bowler in his rookie year...never did much after that, but he was very impressive that year.  bobby burnett

597715[/snapback]

Thanks, tb. I'm still drawing a blank on this guy, but nowadays I forget my own kids' names. :D

In researching on bobby burnett I ran across another VERY unappreciated running back Wray Carlton who ran with Cookie, Bobby and others enjoying a healthy 4.2 average over seven years in the bills heyday. I remember an article in Sports Illustrated the year we won the AFL Championship that cited Gilchrist and Carlton's pass blocking and calling Kemp the most protected quarterback in the history of football. Came one game from going to Super Bowl 1 and many say they would have given the Packers a much better game and maybe won it.

Cribbs, Cookie was mentioned, Braxton without question, even Henry.  Willis has a way to go.  Does he even crack the top 10 at this point?

Thurman

Cookie

Juice

KD

Braxton

Cribbs

Hooks

Henry

Bell

Harmon

597266[/snapback]

I am too young to remember Cookie, but in my cognisant Bills life (1972-2004, I am trying to forget 2005!)

1-OJ

2-Thurman

3-Cribbs...people forget what a great back Cribbs was, because he left the team, on bad terms, for the USFL, and it was the start of a very dark period for the team. Cribbs had good size, was a great pass receiver, and was much faster than he looked like he would be, and a great pass blocker. He was sort of Thurman, before Thurman! Multi-talented. If he hadn't ruined his career by going to the USFL, I think he would be much more highly regarded than he is...

I was wondering that myself. Thorpe played against the Buffalo teams, but never for any Buffalo team. They also were not the Bills back then, but that is just a minor technicality.

597487[/snapback]

I did a check just to be sure, and came across a few football historians' sites :D Of course, who in the world would want to waste time as a football historian?

I did a check just to be sure, and came across a few football historians' sites :D Of course, who in the world would want to waste time as a football historian?

597793[/snapback]

Complete waste of time.

OJ, but not by much.

1. OJ profited from the Electric Company's blocking.

2. Thurman may have beat OJ in all-purpose yards with the Electric Company in OJ's era.

3. Hull-Ritcher-Ballard etc could have done the same for OJ in OJ's era.

Guest BackInDaDay
In researching on bobby burnett I ran across another VERY unappreciated running back Wray Carlton who ran with Cookie, Bobby and others enjoying a healthy 4.2 average over seven years in the bills heyday.  I remember an article in Sports Illustrated the year we won the AFL Championship that cited Gilchrist and Carlton's pass blocking and calling Kemp the most protected quarterback in the history of football. Came one game from going to Super Bowl 1 and many say they would have given the Packers a much better game and maybe won it.

597741[/snapback]

Good job tb! I remember Carlton. I believe he lined up in the FB spot.

To this day I remember the Chiefs Bobby Bell clipping on a return which began the route, 35-10; 31-10; something like that. Did Carlton wear 34?

OJ is up there with Jim Brown, Gale Sayers, Payton.  There has never been anyone even close before or since.  Awful human being but he is one of the top five running backs ever to play the game.

597265[/snapback]

Agreed. Many people forget that he was an excellent receiver, as well. The perfect blend of speed and power coupled with soft hands. I believe that the Bills win at least one of those Super Bowls with him. No disrespect to TT who is definitely number two and should be in the HOF right now with the Juice.

How can OJ not be at the top of the list? I'd even go so far to say he was the 2nd best Bills' player of all time behind Bruce Smith, only because Smith's tenure was longer.

597946[/snapback]

Oj was a better player than Bruce. Bruce was not as good as reggie White--his contemporary.Although Bruce was still one of the all time greats.OJ was the best of his time.