What's w/the yapping about officiating..?

Boatdrinks

in Supe XL? First ESPN radio, now WGR. I'm not a fan of either team, and I guess I preferred to see Pit win for Bettis. But I have zero against Seahawks. I thought the offensive interference call was right on,however subtle. This is the Superbowl after all, and he definitely pushed off to gain seperation-that was the key. Roethlisberger's TD looked pretty darn close, and some part of that ball probably did break the plane for a moment. There were too many hands in the way on the replay and you could not tell. People are focusing WAY too much on where the ball ended up,which was NOT over the line as BR pulled it back. Do not forget that a TV replay has only two dimensions-it is impossible to perceive DEPTH or look over and around hands,arms etc like a pair of eyes can. That is why I have to go with the call on the field there. At the moment the ball appears to cross, it is obscured-replay INCONCLUSIVE. The play stood as it should. If it was reversed, I believed that Cowher was going to go for it on 4th down anyway due to the magnitude of the previous play and the score of 3-0. Probably a more clear cut TD would have occured anyway. I thought in the first half that a Seahawk defender got away with a huge push out of bounds on Ward that should have been a personal foul. Bottom line was Seahawks choked at the end of the first half w/botched clock management and by punting w/ only 6 minutes remaining down by two scores,plus numerous drops by WR's.Game was there for the taking, officiating had little to do w/outcome.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in Supe XL? First ESPN radio, now WGR. I'm not a fan of either team, and I guess I preferred to see Pit win for Bettis. But I have zero against Seahawks. I thought the offensive interference call was right on,however subtle. This is the Superbowl after all, and he definitely pushed off to gain seperation-that was the key. Roethlisberger's TD looked pretty darn close, and some part of that ball probably did break the plane for a moment. There were too many hands in the way on the replay and you could not tell. People are focusing WAY too much on where the ball ended up,which was NOT over the line as BR pulled it back. Do not forget that a TV replay has only two dimensions-it is impossible to perceive DEPTH or look over and around hands,arms etc like a pair of eyes can. That is why I have to go with the call on the field there. At the moment the ball appears to cross, it is obscured-replay INCONCLUSIVE. The play stood as it should. If it was reversed, I believed that Cowher was going to go for it on 4th down anyway due to the magnitude of the previous play and the score of 3-0. Probably a more clear cut TD would have occured anyway. I thought in the first half that a Seahawk defender got away with a huge push out of bounds on Ward that should have been a personal foul. Bottom line was Seahawks choked at the end of the first half w/botched clock management and by punting w/ only 6 minutes remaining down by two scores,plus numerous drops by WR's.Game was there for the taking, officiating had little to do w/outcome.

596842[/snapback]

Now that the media's collective boners have subsided, they need something else to talk about for the next 3 weeks. I for one feel as though the officiating did not determine the outcome of the game. But what do I know, i'm not an analyst.

I for one feel as though the officiating did not determine the outcome of the game. But what do I know, i'm not an analyst.

596844[/snapback]

Nah. What's the difference between First and goal at the two down by four with four minutes gone in the fourth quarter and 2nd and 20 at the 29?

What's the difference between a TD and a FG?

Pretend the Seahawks are the BILLS. Now look at it again.

Nah.  What's the difference between First and goal at the two down by four with four minutes gone in the fourth quarter and 2nd and 20 at the 29?

Pretend the Seahawks are the BILLS.  Now look at it again.

596848[/snapback]

I agree 100 PERCENT...

But I guess there are a lot of Bills fans who are just so giddy for these Steelers for whatever reason....they fail to see the truth about that game yesterday.

Nah.  What's the difference between First and goal at the two down by four with four minutes gone in the fourth quarter and 2nd and 20 at the 29?

Pretend the Seahawks are the BILLS.  Now look at it again.

596848[/snapback]

Those are calls made by the jurisdiction of the official. For once I'm taking the referees' side. The push off in the endzone was blatant. Really, I don't give a sh--, I'm just wondering what aaron schobel and mark campbell shot at the links in south carolina yesterday.

Those are calls made by the jurisdiction of the official. For once I'm taking the referees' side. The push off in the endzone was blatant. Really, I don't give a sh--, I'm just wondering what aaron schobel and mark campbell shot at the links in south carolina yesterday.

596854[/snapback]

Blatant? If that was blatant than Michael Irvin should have been kicked out of the NFL with nary a stat to his credit sans hanky.

Ridiculous.

596854[/snapback]

That's absurd. The defensive player actually initiated the contact. If you are going to call a push-off--which it was not, it was like a hand check in BB--then you have to call illegal contact or PI on the defender.

That's absurd.  The defensive player actually initiated the contact.  If you are going to call a push-off--which it was not, it was like a hand check in BB--then you have to call illegal contact or PI on the defender.

596859[/snapback]

did he push off? was the defender prevented form making a play? Flag was warranted..

Aparently you didn't see the play, or only saw what you wanted.  The defender touched DJ beyond 5 yards, and that is as much PI as DJ's "push-off" was defensive PI.  If you call one, you HAVE to call the other.

596885[/snapback]

no I didnt watch the game..just like to comment on things I have no idea about..like many on here...

I'm not a fan of either team, but as a football fan, I actually feel cheated out of what could have been a great game. The officials should never be part of the outcome and they put themselves at the forefront.

I have no problem with the Big Ben TD, and I can't believe so many people do have a problem with it, that call could have went either way. The replay was inconclusive so he made the only call he could, the play stands.

My problem was with the Pass Interference on the TD, the penalty for going at the knees of a blocker, WTF? The phantom holding call on the pass play to the 2. These were obvious incorrect calls that should have been overturned by the other officials after a brief conference. And all of them had a huge impact on the game.

I have no problem with the Big Ben TD, and I can't believe so many people do have a problem with it, that call could have went either way.  The replay was inconclusive so he made the only call he could, the play stands.

On replay it looks like he didn't get it. So HOW in real-time could any official have signalled that he DID get it? That's what I want to know. The call should have been no TD and then on review it wasn't conclusive.