How far removed are the Bills from a SuperBowl?

Tipster19

I expect Levy, Jauron, Losman, our OC, our DC to all fail. I expect, due to loyalty or lack of death, it will take 7-8 years before Levy is gone and 4-5 years before Jauron is gone. Then the next regime will need time to rebuild. And that's assuming the next regime is even good. With some luck, Bills should contend for a championship in 2015 or so.

I expect Levy, Jauron, Losman, our OC, our DC to all fail.  I expect, due to loyalty or lack of death, it will take 7-8 years before Levy is gone and 4-5 years before Jauron is gone.  Then the next regime will need time to rebuild.  And that's assuming the next regime is even good.  With some luck, Bills should contend for a championship in 2015 or so.

595747[/snapback]

So basically you're a glass-is-half-full kinda guy.

What kind of timetable do people expect this to happen?

595738[/snapback]

I don't like to think about realistic answers to things like that.

Instead, I'll just pretend there's a miracle right around the corner and next year is the year.

In fact, let's just make the playoffs again before we worry about the Super Bowl.

595738[/snapback]

With the current nature of the league and the standing order to officate games in drastic favor of the NFL's pet teams? I don't ever expect it to happen again.

364 days.

OK, in reality ... they will never win another regular season game. Last I checked, it was impossible for an 0-16 team to make the playoffs. So, it will be a long time.

The lower I keep my expectations, the less depressed I get each January.

To get there any time soon, they will probably need for JP to develop into a top 10 quarterback, a prospect that while not impossible, does look dim at this time.

Then, they will need at least 2 drafts in which they click big time with blockers and defensive linemen. They will also need safeties and a couple of LBs as well.

Impossible? No, but our GM will soon be 81.

595738[/snapback]

Two years ago at this time the Steelers were coming off a 6-10 season. It doesn't have to take 4+ years to turn it around on today's NFL.

The good news is the Bills should not be in major rebuilding mode - yet.

They aren't in a deep salaray cap hole so they have room to sign players, and they have several draft picks out of the first 100.

They still have some good players who they can continue to build around. This year, with a good draft and signing of a few decent free agents, they may be a contender for a playoff spot. After two years of good drafting and good signees, anything can happen.

I'd say it's unlikely they could get to a superbowl in the upcoming season, but it wouldn't be unhead of to be there in two years.

Of course, a lot of things would have to fall into place....Jauron and staff will have to prove they're worthy, the team will have to avoid the injury bug, and Marv and Modrak will have to find the right chemistry of player to make it a good team fit. and JP, Holcomb, or someone else will have to take the lead and show they're the QB of the future. And it would have to be timed so that the current NFL powers are all on the downslide while the Bills are ascending.

If all these elements fell into place, the Bills could be back there in 2 years.

Is it likely? No. But, not impossible.

Only way Buffalo can win a Super Bowl is if the game is against a franchise the media does NOT want to win....Arizona, DET for example..

And the Bills better damn well be sure they have a storyline...like you know Jerome Bettis coming home to play....otherwise forget it

:(:w00t::w00t:

I expect Levy, Jauron, Losman, our OC, our DC to all fail.  I expect, due to loyalty or lack of death, it will take 7-8 years before Levy is gone and 4-5 years before Jauron is gone.  Then the next regime will need time to rebuild.  And that's assuming the next regime is even good.  With some luck, Bills should contend for a championship in 2015 or so.

595747[/snapback]

Always the optimist.

Depends on the future of the CBA and the salary cap.

If 2007 becomes an uncapped year, the cap with NEVER come back and the NFL will become the next MLB with some big market teams perpetually buying the best players and winning while small market teams will be unable to compete. The Bills could become the next Pittsburgh Pirates or San Diego Padres and potentially be unable to stay in WNY.

595738[/snapback]

That is a huge expectation. Too many variables to make any real kind of prognostication. I expect the Bills to be pretty good next year and at the very highest part of my hopes and expectations to slip into the playoffs. Superbowl? If everything goes right and with EXCELLENT coaching and managing...three more years.

595738[/snapback]

But how far removed is *any* NFL team from the Super Bowl? Only two teams will make it next year, and only two teams the year after that.

The Bills are "in the pack" of the NFL, and will need to get the right coach with the right team to make it. As for when that will happen? Who knows?

JDG