Thurman Thomas HoF decision thread

SDS

OK, so they cut away from the ND-Louisville basketball game just as UL puts it into OT with a big 3. I can live with that. But then after they announce the HOF inductees (which took 5 minutes from some reason), Rich Eisen gets BACK on the mic and keeps blabbing.

What can you POSSIBLY add to this announcement??? They announced the class...thats all folks. Put the OT game back on!!!!

jesus

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There isn't one person chosen who didn't deserve to get in.  I'm disappointed for Thurman but he'll get in - and hopefully in a year with no Dallas Cowboys or Miami Dolphins.

594275[/snapback]

Carson deserved it as a player... but all his whining about not being selected earlier showed no class at all IMO, I would've had a hard time voting for him.

I really dont like Warren Moon getting in...he was never elite in my mind. The guy played forever but never dominated...out of his 17-year career, he only threw more TDs than INTs seven times. Thats ten years of average play. 3-7 in the playoffs. Very streaky player who had flashes of solid play and then crapped out the next week. Or hell, sometimes the 2nd half (Comeback Game ring a bell?). Never played in a Superbowl.

He has lots of stats because the guy played forever, but does not deserve a HOF nod in my opinion. He belongs in the Hall of Very Good, not to have his bust next to other QBs like Montana and Unitas.

There isn't one person chosen who didn't deserve to get in.  I'm disappointed for Thurman but he'll get in - and hopefully in a year with no Dallas Cowboys or Miami Dolphins.

594275[/snapback]

It was nice to see Irvin get the shaft again. Thurmal will make it next year. He only didn't get in this time because of certain voters' idiosyncracies about what makes a candidate worthy of first-time ballot HOF status. It's b.s. but that's how the game is played.

How does Moon get in, but Thomas doesn't...?

594262[/snapback]

And how does Rayfield Wright make it and NOT Art Monk? Hell Monk didn't even make the top 10!

From Czabe.com (He has a real issue with SI fatman Peter King on the committee)

Peter King’s arguments against Monk include the following….

1. “He was only voted to 3 Pro Bowls.” (Rebuttal: Fine, so was Charlie Joiner, Lynn Swann, and John Stallworth. It’s also worth noting, John Riggins only went to ONE Pro Bowl. Tells you what that’s worth.

2. “Modern wideout numbers are threatening to obliterate Monk’s catch total.” He cites Keenan McCardell, Jimmy Smith, Marvin Harrison as examples. Okay fine. But they aren’t Monk’s contemporaries. If you look up at Pro Football Reference the list of Most Catches in a Season, the staggering number of 100-plus catch years is amazing. Monk’s 106 in 1984 is notable however in one very important respect. It’s the ONLY such mark from the entire decade! Once 1993 rolled around, wideouts began racking up 100 catch seasons like it was nothing. Hell, even scrubs like Brett Perriman had 100-ball years!

3. “Monk was the 4th most dangerous weapon on those Redskin teams.” Please. Ricky Sanders, while a nice compliment wideout, could hardly be considered a “bigger weapon” than Monk. Comments like this really make you question King’s ability to judge ANYTHING in regard to pro football.

Finally, I want to layout a pair of wide receiver numbers, and you tell me who is who.

Receiver A: 13 Seasons 5 Pro Bowls 743 Rec. 10,205 Yds 84 TD

Receiver B: 12 Seasons 5 Pro Bowls 750 Rec. 11,904 Yds 65 TD

Both receiver A and B were Top 10 in the league in Touchdowns (5 times each) and Catches (4 times each). The only significant difference is that Receiver A has just one Super Bowl ring, while B has three.

Who are they?

A = Andre Rison

B = Michael Irvin

And yet I don’t hear anybody banging the drum for Bad Moon for Canton, do you?

I could be way off, so please tell me. but listening to his views this week, he thought Thurman was a sure fire hall of famer, but probably not a 1st timer. I would be very upset if he was not promoting him as a 1st ballot guy. Not being a homer, but Thurman was great. To see Warren Moon get in over him bothers me even though he had all those passing yards and his Candian numbers did niot count.

I guess this thread is just a way to vent that I thinh Mark G. did not due hum justice..my opinion. Does anyone else feel that way?

I really dont like Warren Moon getting in...he was never elite in my mind.  The guy played forever but never dominated...out of his 17-year career, he only threw more TDs than INTs seven times.  Thats ten years of average play.  3-7 in the playoffs.  Never played in a Superbowl.

He has lots of stats because the guy played forever, but does not deserve a HOF nod in my opinion.  He belongs in the Hall of Very Good, not to have his bust next to other QBs like Montana and Unitas.

594289[/snapback]

In the Pro Bowl NINE times.

Fifth all time in TD passes, Fourth all time in passing yards, Fourth all time in completions.

In those 10 playoff games he averaged 283 yards passing.

And how does Rayfield Wright make it and NOT Art Monk? Hell Monk didn't even make the top 10!

From Czabe.com (He has a real issue with SI fatman Peter King on the committee)

Peter King’s arguments against Monk include the following….

1. “He was only voted to 3 Pro Bowls.” (Rebuttal: Fine, so was Charlie Joiner, Lynn Swann, and John Stallworth. It’s also worth noting, John Riggins only went to ONE Pro Bowl. Tells you what that’s worth.

2. “Modern wideout numbers are threatening to obliterate Monk’s catch total.” He cites Keenan McCardell, Jimmy Smith, Marvin Harrison as examples. Okay fine. But they aren’t Monk’s contemporaries. If you look up at Pro Football Reference the list of Most Catches in a Season, the staggering number of 100-plus catch years is amazing. Monk’s 106 in 1984 is notable however in one very important respect. It’s the ONLY such mark from the entire decade! Once 1993 rolled around, wideouts began racking up 100 catch seasons like it was nothing. Hell, even scrubs like Brett Perriman had 100-ball years!

3. “Monk was the 4th most dangerous weapon on those Redskin teams.” Please. Ricky Sanders, while a nice compliment wideout, could hardly be considered a “bigger weapon” than Monk. Comments like this really make you question King’s ability to judge ANYTHING in regard to pro football.

Finally, I want to layout a pair of wide receiver numbers, and you tell me who is who.

Receiver A: 13 Seasons 5 Pro Bowls 743 Rec. 10,205 Yds 84 TD

Receiver B: 12 Seasons 5 Pro Bowls 750 Rec. 11,904 Yds 65 TD

Both receiver A and B were Top 10 in the league in Touchdowns (5 times each) and Catches (4 times each). The only significant difference is that Receiver A has just one Super Bowl ring, while B has three.

Who are they?

A = Andre Rison

B = Michael Irvin

And yet I don’t hear anybody banging the drum for Bad Moon for Canton, do you?

594292[/snapback]

Great post.

In the Pro Bowl NINE times.

Fifth all time in TD passes, Fourth all time in passing yards, Fourth all time in completions.

In those 10 playoff games he averaged 283 yards passing.

594299[/snapback]

He played for 17 friggin seasons! Its called padding your stats, the guy does not belong. How about we put in Dave Krieg next? Get this, Krieg actually has a BETTER playoff record than Warren Moon does. 5-7! Won two more games than Moon did. 10th all time in pass attempts. 10th all time in completions. 11th all time in passing yards. 9th in Passing TDs. Does Krieg get in next because of his stats?

He even made the Pro Bowl a couple of times too.

The HOF committee dropped the ball on this one...maybe I wouldnt be too upset if Moon got in 5 years down the line, but when I think of first-ballot HOFers, I want that player to be iconic with that position. Warren Moon does not spring to mind when I think of the best QBs to play the position. If this were backyard football, the NFL HOF committee would have to call a do-over.

I really dont like Warren Moon getting in...he was never elite in my mind.  The guy played forever but never dominated...out of his 17-year career, he only threw more TDs than INTs seven times.  Thats ten years of average play.  3-7 in the playoffs.  Very streaky player who had flashes of solid play and then crapped out the next week.  Or hell, sometimes the 2nd half (Comeback Game ring a bell?).  Never played in a Superbowl.

He has lots of stats because the guy played forever, but does not deserve a HOF nod in my opinion.  He belongs in the Hall of Very Good, not to have his bust next to other QBs like Montana and Unitas.

594289[/snapback]

Well. I guess if Marino & Fouts can make it, so can Moon. 1st-ballot is surprising, though... still think it may be a token selection.

How did John Madden get in before Thurman.  The committee sucks and they should let the fans vote who gets in.  This is a disgrace to the NFL.

594296[/snapback]

John Madden deserves to be in based on his decade as a head coach alone.

103-32-7 in the regular season and 9-7 in the post season. His teams were terrific in a time when teams like the Dolphins, Steelers, and Cowboys were playing at their highest level.

Too bad, but we all know he is a lock.  To me though, he was a better player at his position that Aikman and Moon......I personally think he was robbed.

He will definately get in next year.

We love ya Thurman!

594303[/snapback]

Unfortunately, I think much of the country remembers him for losing his helmet.