NFL 101: "The Cover 2"

Webster Guy

Thanks, that was really good. I have a feeling that resigning Nate is a little more important because of the importance of how well the corners play.

I am not sure how Milloy and Vincent will fit into this scheme. Milloy is more of a run stopper now and Vincent is getting up there in years.

I thought I knew what Cover 2 was.  Here is a link that explains what it is and how it works.  I learned a lot.

"The Cover 2"

593557[/snapback]

From the article:

"The key to cover two, or any zone coverage, is getting a great pass rush with your four rushers. No zone coverage can hold up against a good passing football team if you don't pressure the quarterback."

We're DOOOOOOOOOMED!

Guest BackInDaDay
I thought I knew what Cover 2 was.  Here is a link that explains what it is and how it works.  I learned a lot.

"The Cover 2"

593557[/snapback]

Good write up, thanks, but Monte Kifin's Tampa D drops the MLB back to help keep the seam routes in front . This puts an added burden on the OLBs. That's why, in the other post about Milloy's future I brought up Spike's health being an issue. We've got a nice mix of vets and youth in the secondary. We'll need more LB speed and Adams better shape up as a 2-gap DL. You can't drop the MLB if you play a 1-gap technique.

It may also mean that Nagata could be the pick.....

If we DONT allow Big Ted to come back to Buffalo (and we still may) we need an anchor DT who will stay at home and play run so that Sam Adams can freelance and get pressure......

We also need another DE

593624[/snapback]

Hence......Big Ted and Mario Williams.

I wouldn't be relying on an over-weight, injury prone 39 year old to anchor my defense.

593717[/snapback]

If we could somehow get Mario Williams, I wouldn't care if Ted played from a wheelchair. Williams could be an updated version of Bruce, to Marv's way of thinking.

After reading that article is sounds like this team desperately needs a DE to play opposite of Schobel that can get consistent pressure. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Bills selected Hali.

It also sounds like Sam Adams would be a very good fit as long as we can get a wide body that takes up multiple OL in the run game. Vincent sounds like the ideal S for this type of D while Milloy's skills just don't mesh. It looks like Milloy’s days might be numbered.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the team keeps Posey, he's not a physical player and struggles at the point of attack but he's pretty good in pass coverage. People have been putting Fletcher’s name out there as a possible cut as well. I doubt it as this team will need fast LBs with good instincts even if it means they’re not the most physical guys in the world. Fletcher fits that mould pretty well.

Keeping Nate (particularly at the new, low cost franchise tag for CBs) seems like a given as well. He accels when he’s able to get up in the CBs faces and play physically, which is exactly what this D calls for.

Aren't all great run stuffing DT's overweight? I mean lets get real here....

593740[/snapback]

In a cover 2, you often see DTs that are more athletic. As if look at the Bears, Bucs and Colts as examples they have DTs in the 300 lb range. Which could mean we could be looking at free agents like Larry Triplett and Damione Lewis vs Grady Jackson and Ryan Pickett. Of course I know Jauron's best team came when he had Washington and Traylor starting on the inside so thre's still a chance we could go big still.

After reading that article is sounds like this team desperately needs a DE to play opposite of Schobel that can get consistent pressure.  I wouldn’t be surprised if the Bills selected Hali. 

593749[/snapback]

We'd be better off with Kiwi. Inpart because he offers better size and likely better off at Left DE than Hali. Also Kiwi has been compared Adewale Ogunleye, currently the starting Left DE for the Bears.

Do any of you play madden. If you go to the practice mode you can line up any D vs. any O. The thing I like most about the cover 2, is the fact that you can run a lot of plays out of the same look. The most common is a 2 deep, 5 short zone. you can mix it up and go 2 deep, 4 short and blitz any one of the LB or corners. You can also mix it up and go man the corners, LB or any combination of either. For you younger folkes try it on your madden (practice mode). For you old people, grab your grandchildrens and give it a try.

Good write up, thanks, but Monte Kifin's Tampa D drops the MLB back to help keep the seam routes in front .  This puts an added burden on the OLBs.  That's why, in the other post about Milloy's future I brought up Spike's health being an issue.  We've got a nice mix of vets and youth in the secondary.  We'll need more LB speed and Adams better shape up as a 2-gap DL.  You can't drop the MLB if you play a 1-gap technique.

593603[/snapback]

You sure do need a super-duper MLB for a Cover 2. And he is going to have his hands full with all the off-tackle plays... :blink:

You sure do need a super-duper MLB for a Cover 2.  And he is going to have his hands full with all the off-tackle plays... :blink:

594048[/snapback]

Shelton Quarels(sp?) for Tampa is decent but will never be confused for being super-duper, or even really good. Brooks is the guy on that team. He's at ROLB.

QUOTE(BackInDaDay @ Feb 3 2006, 03:05 PM)

Good write up, thanks, but Monte Kifin's Tampa D drops the MLB back to help keep the seam routes in front .  This puts an added burden on the OLBs.  That's why, in the other post about Milloy's future I brought up Spike's health being an issue.  We've got a nice mix of vets and youth in the secondary.  We'll need more LB speed and Adams better shape up as a 2-gap DL.  You can't drop the MLB if you play a 1-gap technique.

Good Point! This is a blueprint for the next 2-3 drafts.

Shelton Quarels(sp?) for Tampa is decent but will never be confused for being super-duper, or even really good. Brooks is the guy on that team. He's at ROLB.

594103[/snapback]

Leading tacklers - 2005 season per NFL.com:

total/indiv/asst/pass defended

1 Jonathan Vilma NYJ 169 124.0 45 6

2 Zach Thomas MIA 158 104.0 54 3

3 London Fletcher BUF 157 104.0 53 3

4 Donnie Edwards SD 152 112.0 40 11

5 Andra Davis CLE 149 89.0 60 4

6 Keith Bulluck TEN 138 102.0 36 9

7 Nick Barnett GB 138 91.0 47 2

8 Mike Peterson JAC 131 94.0 37 7

9 Shelton Quarles TB 129 99.0 30 2

10 Gary Brackett IND 127 92.0 35 6

11 Demorrio Williams ATL 127 99.0 28 3

12 Derrick Brooks TB 125 93.0 32 11

Quarles looks pretty good to me...

Leading tacklers - 2005 season per NFL.com:

total/indiv/asst/pass defended

1      Jonathan Vilma NYJ 169 124.0 45 6

2 Zach Thomas MIA 158 104.0 54 3

3 London Fletcher BUF 157 104.0 53 3

4 Donnie Edwards SD 152 112.0 40 11

5 Andra Davis CLE 149 89.0 60 4

6 Keith Bulluck TEN 138 102.0 36 9

7 Nick Barnett GB 138 91.0 47 2

8 Mike Peterson JAC 131 94.0 37 7

9 Shelton Quarles TB 129 99.0 30 2

10 Gary Brackett IND 127 92.0 35 6

11 Demorrio Williams ATL 127 99.0 28 3

12 Derrick Brooks TB 125 93.0 32 11

Quarles looks pretty good to me...

594174[/snapback]

yep, decent like I said. :blink:

"super-duper" = Urlacher, Ray Lewis, Derrick Brooks and has less to do with season stat logs.