CNNSI Don Banks Mock Draft

ACor58

I don't like the pick. I feel that DT's take awhile to develope and many of the first rounders have not done so well. TE has been a weak position for a long time, and a guy like Vernon Davis can ignite the offense and help Lossman or whatever QB. They say he's a Antonio Davis clone. If defense must be addressed, I'd rather get AJ Hawk or Mario Williams - playmakers. Michael Huff is nice too but 8th pick is too high for him.

This guy has Ryans going before Hawk...not happening, and Jimmy Williams falling to 19, weird draft.

593228[/snapback]

Not really, Jimmy Williams' stock is falling fast in the last month. Poor attitude, plus the fact he was ejected from his last college game because he couldnt control his temper has sent up red flags over whether this kid can handle the NFL game.

I'd be curious to know how often these draft experts correctly predict the Bills' picks? It seems like they generally are always wrong.

593226[/snapback]

It's virtually impossible to do. In a mock draft, obviously, each time one team near the top doesn't do what you think they're going to do it throws a dozen teams off. I guarantee you that the very best drafters in the league, the elite guys that know the very most in the history of the NFL, can't come close to accurately predicting what the 32 teams in the league are going to draft in the first 2 rounds let alone the last 5.

I don't like the pick.  I feel that DT's take awhile to develope and many of the first rounders have not done so well.  TE has been a weak position for a long time, and a guy like Vernon Davis can ignite the offense and help Lossman or whatever QB.  They say he's a Antonio Davis clone.  If defense must be addressed, I'd rather get AJ Hawk or Mario Williams - playmakers.  Michael Huff is nice too but 8th pick is too high for him.

593218[/snapback]

Vernon Davis is an AWESOME pass threat, but the boy couldn't block a ten year old, and this from a die hard terps fan. Lets see what everat brings to the table first

It's virtually impossible to do. In a mock draft, obviously, each time one team near the top doesn't do what you think they're going to do it throws a dozen teams off. I guarantee you that the very best drafters in the league, the elite guys that know the very most in the history of the NFL, can't come close to accurately predicting what the 32 teams in the league are going to draft in the first 2 rounds let alone the last 5.

593280[/snapback]

Well, at least concerning the Bills, it seems even when all the teams in front of us mostly do what they're supposed to do, we still pass on the experts' pick. For instance, nearly every mock I recall seeing had us taking Kelsay in the first round. When he fell to us, we instead passed and took him in the second.

I think after the top 5 or so, it's just a plain crap shoot trying to figure out how teams scout and rank players compared to these amateur expert ratings and mocks.

Well, at least concerning the Bills, it seems even when all the teams in front of us mostly do what they're supposed to do, we still pass on the experts' pick. For instance, nearly every mock I recall seeing had us taking Kelsay in the first round. When he fell to us, we instead passed and took him in the second.

I think after the top 5 or so, it's just a plain crap shoot trying to figure out how teams scout and rank players compared to these amateur expert ratings and mocks.

593364[/snapback]

The reason they passed on Kelsay at the time was because looking at the teams ahead of them before their second round pick, the Bills had a very strong feeling that Kelsay would still be there.

593364[/snapback]

In the Kelsay situation the Bills didnt have him as highly rated as 6-7 other defensive linemen. While the experts thoughts perhaps the Bills would take him there, because we needed a DE, TD didnt take him because he didnt think Kelsay was worth the first round money he would get at that slot price, so he gambled that Willis might be in the future. And since 7-8 teams ahead of the Bills had already taken defensive linemen and werent likely to take another, combined with a lot of decent talent left at other positions because there was such a long run on the DL, that he may be able to get Kelsay in #2, which he did.

I like the Ngata pick. He seems solid, and addresses a need. I think we need the best lineman available either way. My preference is clearly Mario Williams, who won't go top 4, but I have a tough time seeing him get past 5-6-7. We need an OL in the second or third round. I wouldn't mind seeing a tight end somewhere, but no way we pick one that high. Anybody who watched this season knows that losing in the trenches was our biggest problem. Between the draft and free agency, I think we can fix things pretty well, but we need a really well executed draft to get us quality.