ESPN SHOW ON NORWOOD'S 47-YARD MISS

I recall feeling quite frustrated during the last drive because it seemed we were putting all the pressure on a field goal kicker to kick a 40+ yarder. You see this all the time when coaches go conservative and set up a long field goal. They remark later how they didn't want to risk a sack or an interception. How about risking a loss? I've got to believe the odds of a 40+ yard FG is 50% or less, then add the pressure of a game winning (in this case, a Super Bowl winning) FG, the odds must go down even more.

There might be articles out there saying differently, but most writers/analyst blame the kicker ("he choked") and never questioning the coach's decision not to try to get into chip shot range. I think Paterno actually did this in the bowl game. Bowden has done it in the past and suffered enormously (yet, it's always the 'lousy kicker'). At the college level, it is even more maddening since the pressure is being placed on a 20 year old.

I'm sure Levy would have been criticized if Kelly was sacked or threw an interception. No doubt. But no one criticizes him for the 6 and 4 yard passes or an 11 yard run to set up a 47 yarder on grass. And don't tell me about it "being the kicker's only job" either. Coaches are suppose to put players in positions to succeed, not place them at their limit with the world on their shoulders.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember thinking I would rather have the time saved had McKellar dropped that ball than the I yard we gained from his catch.

592300[/snapback]

funny, this analysis from PROTRADE which is quite good actually gives McKellar the lowest grade of all the Bills offensive players that day. and the only bills receiver thats not in the red was lofton! thomas rates highest by far of any player on either offense

http://www.protrade.com/insight/InsightArt...sjardins%2F&x=x

I recall feeling quite frustrated during the last drive because it seemed we were putting all the pressure on a field goal kicker to kick a 40+ yarder.  You see this all the time when coaches go conservative and set up a long field goal.  They remark later how they didn't want to risk a sack or an interception.  How about risking a loss?  I've got to believe the odds of a 40+ yard FG is 50% or less, then add the pressure of a game winning (in this case, a Super Bowl winning) FG, the odds must go down even more. 

There might be articles out there saying differently, but most writers/analyst blame the kicker ("he choked") and never questioning the coach's decision not to try to get into chip shot range.  I think Paterno actually did this in the bowl game.  Bowden has done it in the past and suffered enormously (yet, it's always the 'lousy kicker').  At the college level, it is even more maddening since the pressure is being placed on a 20 year old.

I'm sure Levy would have been criticized if Kelly was sacked or threw an interception.  No doubt.  But no one criticizes him for the 6 and 4 yard passes or an 11 yard run to set up a 47 yarder on grass.  And don't tell me about it "being the kicker's only job" either.  Coaches are suppose to put players in positions to succeed, not place them at their limit with the world on their shoulders.

592310[/snapback]

Very good points.

:huh:

If I remember correctly, when we stopped them on 3rd and long to get the ball back, the team was himming and hawing whether or not to call a timeout, and it took about 15 seconds to finally do so. That was pretty uncharacteristic of Levy to not manage the clock correctly.

592224[/snapback]

Clock management was key, hindsight being 20/20 the biggest mistake might have been not calling one more play to try and get it closer.

Other keys to the game not going well for us:

Otis Anderson. Guy was a force late in the game for the Giants. I still remember that uppercut he put on Kelso's cranium.

How physical the Giant's LBS were with Reed over the middle. Reed that season was the slot guy from heaven. He was pimped all over the field. Belechak still preaches that pysical LB play on WRs over the middle. Brilliant. Bears tried to do it to Steve Smith this year, but failed.

THe long grass made that kick harder. Norwood on turf never missed. RWStadium was turf back then. Can someone pull Scottie's turf and grass stats?

It was a GREAT game anyway you slice it. Kelly was a trooper running on the final drive. Thurman slashing away with that great balance and heart and pride. Thurman may be the best Bill ever.

Other keys to the game not going well for us:

Otis Anderson.  Guy was a force late in the game for the Giants.  I still remember that uppercut he put on Kelso's cranium.

How physical the Giant's LBS were with Reed over the middle.  Reed that season was the slot guy from heaven.  He was pimped all over the field.  Belechak still preaches that pysical LB play on WRs over the middle.  Brilliant.  Bears tried to do it to Steve Smith this year, but failed. 

THe long grass made that kick harder.  Norwood on turf never missed.  RWStadium was turf back then.  Can someone pull Scottie's turf and grass stats?

It was a GREAT game anyway you slice it.  Kelly was a trooper running on the final drive. Thurman slashing away with that great balance and heart and pride.  Thurman may be the best Bill ever.

592569[/snapback]

I still recall that Giants defenders would get these imnjuries at critical junctions ONLY to leave field and be back one play later. Seemed like this happened frequently as a way to slow down the no huddle. Cheaters win it seems in the NFL

I still recall that Giants defenders would get these imnjuries at critical junctions ONLY to leave field and be back one play later. Seemed like this happened frequently as a way to slow down the no huddle. Cheaters win it seems in the NFL

they learned it from richard seymor in the afc champtionship game v.s. the colts....

I still recall that Giants defenders would get these imnjuries at critical junctions ONLY to leave field and be back one play later.  Seemed like this happened frequently as a way to slow down the no huddle.   Cheaters win it seems in the NFL

592603[/snapback]

Wow, dropping 8 people into coverage and getting hurt? I agree it's not right at all, but apparently they had a plan and it worked.

ok, looks like i was partly wrong. mckellar was the victim of a critical & suspicious penalty call, but it happened late in the 3rd quarter not the 4th. and it was offensive pass interference, not holding.  looks like it stopped the bills drive at a critical time and what made matters worse was a shanked punt.

here's a link that examines the bills most crucial mistakes that game.  the call on mckellar is in the box at the bottom:

http://www.protrade.com/insight/InsightArt...sjardins%2F&x=x

592192[/snapback]

Yeah, you were only partially wrong. Had McKeller not been called for that penalty in the 3rd the field goal would have been closer. :huh:

I was kidding. Really.

Why do people still discuss this?

592309[/snapback]

because it is the offseason. because the SB is this weekend. because there are articles and highlight shows reminding us of the game. because there are people here who were very young at that time and maybe they haven't discussed it as much as those who were older...

to name a few.

Please stop this. I beg you.

592153[/snapback]

Oh I couldn't agree more. Thanks guys. Now, where'd I put that Wild Turkey? Bah... I hate football.

(I kid. Ouch. The Pain!)

Edit...

Every time I see that kick on reply, I hope beyond all hope that maybe... just maybe... it will veer to the left that one time. It never does, of course, but myself won't let myself admit defeat even now!

Anytime I watch that miserable Super Bowl tape, I always see Andre Reed's DROPS -- especially the 3rd-down DRIVE KILLER late in the 2nd quarter that, if it had led to points, would have put the Giants in a hole. Andre was a great Bill, but he didn't bring it to THE GAME. The one drop in particular stands out to me almost as much as Wide Right.

I dont think there was a penalty on McKellar or a penalty at all. Two plays before the kick, there was a replay to review a catch that McKellar made off the tip of his shoe. It was ruled a catch and the next play I think thurman ran one and then came the kick. If I'm wrong I'd like to know, because that 5 yards certainly could/would have made a difference both psychologically and physically for Norwood.

When will they win one. 15 years later and I'm still breaking down Norwoods kick. Just one, thats all I want. The thing thats so hard about SB 25 is that you could sense victory the entire game. Even when the giants had lead  at the end, and the bills started from about the 10 on the final drive, you knew they were going to move the ball down the field. That was the best team this organization has ever put on the field, and they were so fun to watch. I think about those losses a lot this time of year, as I'm sure all of you do. It reminds me we once had a dominant team, and I hope this new regime can restore some of the pride to the Bills that we've been missing for a long time.

592150[/snapback]

andre reed let a pass go thru his hands that should have been caught. The announcer said it was just a loss of concentration and reed should have caught it. It wasn't a Thomas run.

andre reed let a pass go thru his hands that should have been caught. The announcer said it was just a loss of concentration and reed should have caught it. It wasn't a Thomas run.

592987[/snapback]

they just showed "the miss" on espn -- painful to watch for sure. marv's memory was how quiet the entire stadium got when the ball left his foot and no one knew if it was going to be good or bad. bart oates the giants center thought it was a perfect kick. otis anderson couldn't watch the kick, instead he watched the bills sideline to tell by their reaction what happened. most of the segment however was dedicated to the game being played as gulf war 1 started and whitney houston singing the national anthem.

nostalgia

Anytime I watch that miserable Super Bowl tape, I always see Andre Reed's DROPS -- especially the 3rd-down DRIVE KILLER late in the 2nd quarter that, if it had led to points, would have put the Giants in a hole.  Andre was a great Bill, but he didn't bring it to THE GAME.  The one drop in particular stands out to me almost as much as Wide Right.

592981[/snapback]

BINGO! That play always kills me to think back on. WHY! I can't stop. I have to let this damn game go. Ahhhh!