Thurman's Chances on Saturday

Corp000085

I think thurman is a lock for a future hall of fame class. I think he's a lock for a first ballot hof class. However, there are some tough choices that need to be made by the selectors on saturday.

2006 HOF finalists

there's the list of finalists. Reggie is a shoe in. Derrick Thomas probably is in. So is aikman, possibly monk, and i'd give a maybe to warren moon. Irvin is out. It's damn near impossible to be a first ballot HOFer at the WR position these days. Not to mention all his off hte field stuff during his playing days and this year. But, where does that leave thurman thomas?

As i said before, he's a first ballot HOFer, no matter the induction class talent level, in my book. I believe he retired the #4 all time rusher... nfl mvp... almost undrafted. 8 straight 1000 yard seasons, 17000 all purpose yards. Since people forget even recent past events, without thurman there would be no marshall faulk, or LT. Without thurman there would be no afc championships, which he won 4 in a row. Dude's a hall of famer through and through and i'm hoping to get my reservations for the alliance, oh HOJO for the weekend. TBD party at the Alliance Buffalo Wild Wings anyone? I'm a mount union alumn, so i know all the tricks of buying 50 cases of beast ice at the alliance super wal mart.

Here's the question though...

What are Thurman Thomas' realistic chances of being elected to the HOF on saturday?

Are we talkin >90%

between 50% and 90%

between 20% and 50% or

between 0 and 20%

sorry... i didn't make a pole... deal with it

IMHO, the only reason Kelly is a 1st ballot HoF while TT may not be is due to the post-career media obsession....Kelly after retiring remained in the spotlight by

calling games for NBC and then leaving a trail around with his Hunters Hope...

TT all he has done after retiring has got into trouble with drinking etc....

Even though the press guys claim that they don't take these into consideration,

if you read their other articles you know that these guys care about all these

before they make HoF decisions....

TT should be a 1st ballot HoF....but look at the two guys who he is really

competing against.....Derrick Thomas and Reggie White...Both are going to

get sympathy votes due to the tragic way they passed away....I am not sure

How a Derrick Thomas is a Shoo in...but a TT is not......

I think he's a 1st-ballot lock too. I've seen comments from some voters that 1st-ballot inductees should be reserved for only the absolute best players (eg. LT, Reggie White), but I think said voters are greatly outnumbered... we shall see, here's hoping for the best.

And I don't think Derrick Thomas makes it.

I love Kelly, and I love Thurman. If Kelly got in on his first ballot, Thurman certainly should...unless the voters are making up new rules every year...I can't argue with Troy Aikman and Reggie White (dead or alive) getting in on their first ballot, but Thurman was no less dominant at his position than Derrick Thomas was.

I love Kelly, and I love Thurman.  If Kelly got in on his first ballot, Thurman certainly should

590025[/snapback]

This is the way I'm leaning too. If I had to choose who was better at their position, Kelly or Thurman, it wouldn't even be close, it's Thomas easily (I'm sure many fans would argue this point). QB is the glamor position though so I guess that needs to be taken into account.

I think thurman is a lock for a future hall of fame class.  I think he's a lock for a first ballot hof class.  However, there are some tough choices that need to be made by the selectors on saturday. 

2006 HOF finalists

there's the list of finalists.  Reggie is a shoe in.  Derrick Thomas probably is in.  So is aikman, possibly monk, and i'd give a maybe to warren moon.  Irvin is out.  It's damn near impossible to be a first ballot HOFer at the WR position these days.  Not to mention all his off hte field stuff during his playing days and this year.  But, where does that leave thurman thomas?

As i said before, he's a first ballot HOFer, no matter the induction class talent level, in my book.  I believe he retired the #4 all time rusher...  nfl mvp...  almost undrafted.  8 straight 1000 yard seasons, 17000 all purpose yards.  Since people forget even recent past events, without thurman there would be no marshall faulk, or LT.  Without thurman there would be no afc championships, which he won 4 in a row.  Dude's a hall of famer through and through and i'm hoping to get my reservations for the alliance, oh HOJO for the weekend.  TBD party at the Alliance Buffalo Wild Wings anyone?  I'm a mount union alumn, so i know all the tricks of buying 50 cases of beast ice at the alliance super wal mart. 

Here's the question though...

What are Thurman Thomas' realistic chances of being elected to the HOF on saturday?

Are we talkin >90%

between 50% and 90%

between 20% and 50% or

between 0 and 20%

sorry...  i didn't make a pole...  deal with it

589929[/snapback]

I still can't even fathom how this is debatable..I guess it's due to the other 1st timers...I guess... 0:)

But 4 Consecutive Years Leading the NFL in All Purpose Yards...A Record that stood since Jim Brown...I always though that Record sealed TT as a 1st Ballot HOF'er...I guess we'll find out real soon... :doh:

he was the best all-around back in the league from 90-93. He did it all. Ran the ball, caught the ball out of the back field and blocked (picked up the blitz). He should go in on his 1st try.

With that being said the voters seem to have some dumb formula where some players get in on their 2nd or 3rd try. I hope they do it right and vote him in.

Thurman should have been XXV MVP but as we know Norwood missed the kick. The only bad thing I can say about thurman is he played for the fish instead og retiring. That was a bad decision on his part.

That was a bad decision on his part.

590312[/snapback]

well he said that he regretted doing that. one year too long, that knee injury leading to his destructive home behavior, and playing for the dolphins. i think he's said that he still hates the dolphins, and only really did it to spite the bills.

Thurman should be a 1st ballot lock but I dont feel he will be. I have a problem with someone like troy aikman making it. While Troy Aikman does have 3 superbowl rings his stats are really not HOF worthy. I think when it comes to hof superbowls shouldn't matter stats should, and aikman imo doesn't make the cut. Not in the top 10 in any passing catagory only 1 season of 20+ td's. If Aikman makes the hof then I guess a guy like Mark Brunell in the future should receive consideration.

TOTAL | 165 | 2898 4715 61.5 32942 7.0 165 141 | 327 1016 9 |- Aikman

TOTAL | 147 | 2576 4334 59.4 30037 6.9 174 102 | 496 2399 15 - Brunell

I think it's a joke that a guy like Aikman will be a lock. About Thurman though he definitly should make it. Holds the nfl record for most consecutive years leading the nfl in yards from scrimmage 4 years 89-92. 8th all time in yards from scrimmage. 2nd alltime in post season yards from scrimmage. 12th all time in rushing yards. If someone like Troy Aikman keeps him out as a 1st ballot inductee that's quite dissapointing.

i think he's said that he still hates the dolphins, and only really did it to spite the bills.

590318[/snapback]

Seems to me, just two, maybe three years ago, Thurman stood on the Dolphins sideline, during a Bills/Dolphins game in Miami...he was a guest of then Dolphins QB Jay Fiedler...I remember Thurman saying he listened to the Dolphins, to spite the Bills, but I never heard him say anything bad about the Dolphins. In fact, I also remember him being a big defender of Dave Wannestadt.

This is the way I'm leaning too.  If I had to choose who was better at their position, Kelly or Thurman, it wouldn't even be close, it's Thomas easily (I'm sure many fans would argue this point).  QB is the glamor position though so I guess that needs to be taken into account.

590074[/snapback]

In addition to being a terrific QB, I think Kelly also benefitted from his association with the legendary "Class Of '83"....

When Kelly and Levy made it in consecutive years, I had a feeling that some a-hole writers (Rick Reilly for instance) would lead a 90's Bills backlash movement. Bruce Smith is obviously a first ballot guy, I figured Thurman would make it after a few years, and Reed would be the guy we would be still arguing for in 10 years. Guys like Kent Hull, Steve Tasker and Cornelius Bennett should also get some serious consideration along the way.

IMO, Kelly, Thomas, Reed, Smith and Tasker should be first time locks, but it obviously won't be that easy.