Bates Update! He will officially sit out!

D' men

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?...n_john#20060129

Bates willing to sit out: The weekend hasn't done any more to convince Jim Bates to take the Bills' defensive coordinator job, so Dick Jauron will probably have to go in a different direction. Bates is frustrated. He lost the head coaching job in Green Bay to Mike McCarthy and thought he had a good offer to be the Texans' defensive coordinator, but Gary Kubiak decided to go a different direction. The Bills' offer wasn't great, so Bates is willing to sit out two years -- the Packers would pay his salary -- until he finds something that interests him.

Fine by me! <_<

It is obvious, the man is about money. He is from the "me" culture soooooo prvelent during the d?onahow years.

The way he looks at it is, the Packers HAVE to pay him. IF he would make more money else where, fine, if not, why work?????

The Bills probably offered a lesser salary knowing that the Packers would have to pay the remained, and Bates jst said, to hell with that.

He is a "me" guy and that is NOT the culture Marv is trying to build. We've seen that for 5 years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?...n_john#20060129

Bates willing to sit out: The weekend hasn't done any more to convince Jim Bates to take the Bills' defensive coordinator job, so Dick Jauron will probably have to go in a different direction. Bates is frustrated. He lost the head coaching job in Green Bay to Mike McCarthy and thought he had a good offer to be the Texans' defensive coordinator, but Gary Kubiak decided to go a different direction. The Bills' offer wasn't great, so Bates is willing to sit out two years -- the Packers would pay his salary -- until he finds something that interests him.

Fine by me! <_<

588415[/snapback]

What a baby if you ask me! :devil:

Hell, if I was being paid that kind of scratch to play golf and sit on a beach all day I'd sit out too. Can't fault the guy.

588480[/snapback]

Buford, dude, it sounds nice to hear but do you really think you will enjoy a life like that ? I will certainly not and will be bored out of my mind if there is nothing to occupy the gray cells.

Good riddance to the likes of Bates who would rather get the easy money. We are better off with someone who likes to earn his keep.

It is obvious, the man is about money.

588434[/snapback]

He's no fool. Sombody will get fired halfway through the season and he'll be a hot commodity again.

It's obvious he's not interested in Buffalo and thinks he can eventually land a job in a higher profile market (maybe he hated Green Bay and doesn't want to live in the second smallest NFL market for the next 3-4 years).

He's probably not taking much of a risk, especially if the "kiddie corps" hires that have gone down this year blow up on a few teams.

So now that that Soprano guy was officially wrong on all of his guesses are we all willing to accept the fact that he was a phony?

588497[/snapback]

He said the Bills would offer Bates the DC job. Nobody, including ML, could say that he'd turn it down.

Why would you want to just sit around all day watching football? Sure he'll be collecting 750K next season, but it can't really be all about the money. If I were him I'de much rather coach a football team then sit on my ass for a year. His pay would also get more than doubled if he decided to coach too. He thinks he can sit out and then just get a job next year? Nothing is ever guaranteed, just look what happened to Martz. The guy is an idiot if you ask me, and I'm glad we're going in a different direction anyway.

He said the Bills would offer Bates the DC job.  Nobody, including ML, could say that he'd turn it down.

588502[/snapback]

No that's not what he said, he said this:

SOPRANO 3695 Posted on: Jan 26 2006, 12:11 PM

Source....Bates will sign..working out the details. More than likely later today early tomorrow.

He did not break the news, he merely made a guess after he heard that the Bills were making an offer to Bates. And just like all of his other guesses, he was wrong.

Buford, dude, it sounds nice to hear but do you really think you will enjoy a life like that ?

588489[/snapback]

Yes, yes I do.

Travel, spend time with the wife, kids, grandkids..........

The NFL is a very demanding and time consuming job for coaches. If I worked those hours I would love every minute of the time off.

Some people are work-a-holics, some could not work a day in their life if they had the means. To each is own.

Yes, yes I do.

Travel, spend time with the wife, kids, grandkids..........

The NFL is a very demanding and time consuming job for coaches. If I worked those hours I would love every minute of the time off.

Some people are work-a-holics, some could not work a day in their life if they had the means. To each is own.

588624[/snapback]

Exactly! I'm not saying I'd want to give up work forever, but I'd love to take a year off.

And who says you can't pick up a hobby that "stimulates the gray cells?" If I had a ton of free time, I'd love to learn more about photography, photoshop, etc. But there's only so many hours in a day.

However, just because he's sitting out doesn't mean that he's lazy or a "me" guy. He interviewed with Buffalo and wasn't interested in the job. Have you taken every job that was offered to you? After you interview, you may realize that you just don't want to work at that company. There's nothing wrong with that, especially if you have a nice fallback plan.

CW