DC interview info

eball

Bills | Team interviews Lynn

Fri, 27 Jan 2006 13:08:01 -0800

WGR550.com reports former Baltimore Ravens secondary coach Johnnie Lynn is in Buffalo interviewing for the Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator position. Lynn had been the Ravens secondary coach the past two seasons.

-----------------------

Interesting.

Well, I guess they're defintiely moving on to Plan B. I really wanted Bates though; this is majorly disappointing. Well, the Bates to Buffalo talk was fun while it lasted.

This Johnnie Lynn character was fired by Baltimore this past month, as he was one of the guys that the owner wanted Billick to purge. On the surface, it seems like a bit of stretch to potentially make him DC, but i guess it is what it is.

Personally, if they are going to Plans B, C, D, etc., I wouldn't mind them attempting to lure Singletary in for an interview, as well as Pepper Johnson from the Pats. At least Pepper has been coaching with Belichick for 6 years or so, and they would be plucking a coach from a division rival.

If I were a high profile type of defensive coordinator, I don't think I'd want to go to a team with a head coach with a strong defensive background as I'm sure I wouldn''t be a free to run the entire defensive as I choose. Just as it's been reported that DJ is giving Fairchild freedom on the offensive side, it likely would be somewhat the opposite for the DC whomever he is.

In that respect, it would make more sense for Bates to go to Houston with Kubiak. More likely the Bill's will pick up a defensive position coach such as Lynn who shows promise as their DC. It would be good for him to learn from a guy like DJ. Thats likely the best you'll do regardless of how much money you throw at him.

Conversely, if the Bill's had selected Sherman as HC, then Bates would have been a better fit as Sherman is from the offensive side.

he retired in 86, so he couldn't have been burnt by the k-gun, right?

586019[/snapback]

Am I that friggin old? Geez.

Ok, no more DBs that were burnt by K-Gun and Bruce Mathison.

Why not, a secondary Coach that was fired heading up our Defense...PERFECT!!!!!!

585979[/snapback]

Must be because Ralph is so cheap that he's only going to hire guys that have been fired. Because their salaries will be lower. I mean, we have just the worst owner. I know of teams, the really good ones, that only hire assistants who have never been fired, because their owner isn't cheap.

just found out - he got his undergrad degree in history from ucla! he can't be *all* bad.

586025[/snapback]

I see that just like other history grads, he's using that degree in his profession...

You guys all miss the point. Ala Soprano, this is all just a smoke screen. The Bates deal is a lock (just working out some "details"). This interview is meant to look for other staff on defense that Bates will be working with.

Take it to the bank.... <_<

UCLA????  But that's a public university.  He'll hardly be able to keep up with Marv and Dick.

586048[/snapback]

The first time I saw one of those "this is your brain" shirts was at a USC-UCLA game years ago with a "brain" Trojan head on the front and a "brain on drugs" powder blue bear face on the back. Still makes me smile.

Why not, a secondary Coach that was fired heading up our Defense...PERFECT!!!!!!

585979[/snapback]

Well, almost all coaches have been fired at one time or another...but, Lynn was still with the Ravens...no?