Bryce Fisher

cfbillsfan

I just read an article (on two billsdrive) that was giving the Bills new D-line coach credit for making Bryce Fisher a decent D-lineman. This is the guy that Butler drafted who had the Air Force commitment right? Yet, another guy Donahoe let go. I recall ESPN's Tom Jackson stating during Williams' first season, that the Bills were not gonna win many games with guys like Bryce Fisher, almost laughed at his ability.

Well, if this new d-line coach worked wonders with Fisher, maybe he can work 'Densay' into shape, and get more production from those two. Makes me think this was a good hire. Go Juaron! I am gonna give this guy (Juaron) a chance.

And, how bout Fisher? Get's drafted, has to fulfill his two year commitment to the Air Force before he can play, and here he is in the league all these years later, playing for Seattle apparently, and going to the Super Bowl to boot. Good for him.

I know this is not a question, but rather some observations and comments. But, so are most of my posts.

Go Bills!

I just read an article (on two billsdrive) that was giving the Bills new D-line coach credit for making Bryce Fisher a decent D-lineman.  This is the guy that Butler drafted who had the Air Force commitment right?  Yet, another guy Donahoe let go.  I recall ESPN's Tom Jackson stating during Williams' first season, that the Bills were not gonna win many games with guys like Bryce Fisher, almost laughed at his ability.

Well, if this new d-line coach worked wonders with Fisher, maybe he can work 'Densay' into shape, and get more production from those two.  Makes me think this was a good hire.  Go Juaron!  I am gonna give this guy (Juaron) a chance.

And, how bout Fisher?  Get's drafted, has to fulfill his two year commitment to the Air Force before he can play, and here he is in the league all these years later, playing for Seattle apparently, and going to the Super Bowl to boot.  Good for him.

I know this is not a question, but rather some observations and comments.  But, so are most of my posts.

Go Bills!

583125[/snapback]

In TD's defense, Fisher start playing good until a couple years ago, and for every Fisher there is a Remiersma, Centers, and RJ

I am a little surprised with all of the Riemersma bashing I have been reading. I liked him. I thought he made plays for us. Could get down field. Not sure how good of a blocker he was, but I think we asked him to be more of a reciever. People are saying he dropped a lot of passes. I could say the same for Moulds, I have watched him drop plenty.

Most of the good NFL teams have players the Bills drafted but TD let walk.  What an astute judge of talent he was!  :)

583186[/snapback]

I completely disagree. I went through the rosters and didn't come up with more than five ex-Bills in the divisional round - off the top of my head all I remember are Fisher, Ruben Brown, and Flutie.

I for one do not miss Ruben Brown. But, if I was the GM, I would have kept Flutie. But, I think the Flutie/Johnson debate is covered ground on this board.

I live in Orlando, and went up two years back and saw the Buffalo/Washington game. It was great when RJ came into the game, and we booed the crap out of him., and then kicked his a$$. I think he was cut the next day. That was a fun game! On a side note, at that Washington game, I was on the skins side of the field. I saw Bruce Smith, And, I yelled out 'we love you Bruce', I swear he looked right at me. I got goose bumps. Talley was put on the wall that night, and all of the glory years alum were there, Kelly/Thomas/Hull etc. Did I mention what a great game that was?

Go Bills!

Regardless, it's unfair to blame that on TD... traning camp cuts are primarily the head coach's call.

I don't even think it was TD who released Fisher, was it?  I think he went to the Rams for a few years before being cut there as well...

CW

583285[/snapback]

Just to clear up a few things on the Bryce Fisher issue. He had 8.5 sacks with the Rams in '04, and signed with Seattle as a free agent last offseason and has led the Seahawks with 9 sacks in '05. He definitely has developed into a good player, and it definitely was a mistake to let him walk after his first campaign in '01. He had 3 sacks for us that year, after fulfilling his Air Force commitment and you could see he definitely had some ability, just needed some polishing, IMHO. But, he's a good guy and is now enjoying well deserved success... congrats to him.

Fisher had 9 sacks this year.......Much more than Denney.

I just read an article (on two billsdrive) that was giving the Bills new D-line coach credit for making Bryce Fisher a decent D-lineman.  This is the guy that Butler drafted who had the Air Force commitment right?  Yet, another guy Donahoe let go.  I recall ESPN's Tom Jackson stating during Williams' first season, that the Bills were not gonna win many games with guys like Bryce Fisher, almost laughed at his ability.

Well, if this new d-line coach worked wonders with Fisher, maybe he can work 'Densay' into shape, and get more production from those two.  Makes me think this was a good hire.  Go Juaron!  I am gonna give this guy (Juaron) a chance.

And, how bout Fisher?  Get's drafted, has to fulfill his two year commitment to the Air Force before he can play, and here he is in the league all these years later, playing for Seattle apparently, and going to the Super Bowl to boot.  Good for him.

I know this is not a question, but rather some observations and comments.  But, so are most of my posts.

Go Bills!

583125[/snapback]

I for one do not miss Ruben Brown.  But, if I was the GM, I would have kept Flutie.  But, I think the Flutie/Johnson debate is covered ground on this board.

I live in Orlando, and went up two years back and saw the Buffalo/Washington game.  It was great when RJ came into the game, and we booed the crap out of him., and then kicked his a$$.  I think he was cut the next day.  That was a fun game!  On a side note, at that Washington game, I was on the skins side of the field.  I saw Bruce Smith, And, I yelled out 'we love you Bruce', I swear he looked right at me.  I got goose bumps.  Talley was put on the wall that night, and all of the glory years alum were there, Kelly/Thomas/Hull etc.  Did I mention what a great game that was?

Go Bills!

583265[/snapback]

So glad you do not miss Ruben Brown. Although that's more than a bit strange in that he is light years better than Villerial and Anderson, and he has been durable too.

In fact, I watched Ruben a bit in Chicago's playoff game and he can still run block very well. His pass protection remains adequate too.

Yeah, I don't miss Ruben either. We've got Villerial and Anderson....NOT!!!!

i have no doubt the the d-line coach we hired is good, however, bryce fisher was always a good player, the problem was nobody wanted to draft him because of his air force commitment. While he was here we all saw his talent, i dont give any credit to this coach for "making him a good player" because i think no matter where bryce was he was going to be good.

I don't miss Ruben's requisite one off sides call per game, ALWAYS at least one. Must admit, the O-line these days gets more than their fair share of penalties too. And, I agree his replacements are not stellar. But, those off sides penalties used to drive me nuts. I could never understand how our pro bowl lineman would always get that call EVERY SINGLE GAME. It made me think he had some kind of strange off sides birth defect or something. I recall he even mentioned this on the Eric Moulds show. Something like he hast to get it 'out of the way'. And, then he went on and talked about how players have to be more disciplined. How bout this Ruben? Just stay onsides. Hey, maybe Marv should go get him then?

i have no doubt the the d-line coach we hired is good, however, bryce fisher was always a good player, the problem was nobody wanted to draft him because of his air force commitment. While he was here we all saw his talent, i dont give any credit to this coach for "making him a good player" because i think no matter where bryce was he was going to be good.

583509[/snapback]

Five and a half years after we drafted him. Two and a half years after we let him go.

I don't miss Ruben's requisite one off sides call per game, ALWAYS at least one.  Must admit, the O-line these days gets more than their fair share of penalties too.  And, I agree his replacements are not stellar.  But, those off sides penalties used to drive me nuts.  I could never understand how our pro bowl lineman would always get that call EVERY SINGLE GAME.  It made me think he had some kind of strange off sides birth defect or something.  I recall he even mentioned this on the Eric Moulds show.  Something like he hast to get it 'out of the way'.  And, then he went on and talked about how players have to be more disciplined.  How bout this Ruben?  Just stay onsides.  Hey, maybe Marv should go get him then?

583517[/snapback]

That's a FALSE accusation - Brown was actually rarely called for false start or holding penalties. When he was released and everyone made posts similar to yours in regards to penalties, I analyzed his last three seasons in Buffalo, looking over every play in the play by play, and his penalty count was well below 1/game (including false start AND holding). It's just a myth.

CW

That's a FALSE accusation - Brown was actually rarely called for false start or holding penalties.  When he was released and everyone made posts similar to yours in regards to penalties, I analyzed his last three seasons in Buffalo, looking over every play in the play by play, and his penalty count was well below 1/game (including false start AND holding).  It's just a myth.

CW

583974[/snapback]

I think problem with Rueben was he usually did it at a critical moment so it always seemed to have more of an impact.

I am a little surprised with all of the Riemersma bashing I have been reading.  I liked him.  I thought he made plays for us.  Could get down field.  Not sure how good of a blocker he was, but I think we asked him to be more of a reciever.  People are saying he dropped a lot of passes.  I could say the same for Moulds, I have watched him drop plenty.

583243[/snapback]

The question with Riemersma is, what did he do after he left?

yes, is there a point?

583962[/snapback]

yes, that a coach or GM or team or player personnel man in today's NFL cannot wait around for 5 and a half years to see if a player is going to turn the corner. 95% of them never do after two or three or four years. And I personally think it's absurd criticism to say a GM should have known or shouldn't have let him go. There is a lot to criticize TD for, this isn't one of them.