Why Dick Jauron

Casey D

Worst case:

Low attendance the next two years, Ralph rides off in to the sunset and the new owners point to the poor attendance and prepare to move the team to a new locale.  This hire is critical, very critical to the future of the Bills and I'm afraid Ralph and Marv blew it.

579975[/snapback]

Correct me if I'm wrong but, aren't the Bills one of the most profitable teams in the league? Something like 8th or 9th in profitability? I forget where I read that...

I don't know why everyone thinks the Bills will move. Where are they gonna go? Los Angeles? The city does not want a team and there are no adequate stadium facilities for an NFL team.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell, the Bills even have two of the castoffs from the miserable Bears OL (Gandy/Villarial)!  Jauron will probably be "comfortable" with those guys. :D

579271[/snapback]

The very sad truth. I heard Gandy talking on the radio this morning and wanted to barf.

Thanks Marv. Thanks a lot.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, aren't the Bills one of the most profitable teams in the league?  Something like 8th or 9th in profitability?  I forget where I read that...

I don't know why everyone thinks the Bills will move.  Where are they gonna go?  Los Angeles?  The city does not want a team and there are no adequate stadium facilities for an NFL team.

580057[/snapback]

13th in operating income in 2004.

Forbes Lists

13th in operating income in 2004.

Forbes Lists

580090[/snapback]

Assuming the league can come to an agreement on another CBA, this is a sweetheart team to own. Plenty of operating income, profitable, solid season ticket base, fearful fans, and low expectations. Why would a new owner move the team to LA where it would die a slow death on the vine?

Didn't know where to post this so am doing so here. From a life long Packers fan:

"As of today, Sherman is still without a head coaching job.

If you're swept by both the Vikes and Bears, you simply can't stay in

GB. He's a decent coach, but not exceptionally skilled in drafting

players. Even with the loss of talent to injuries this year, you

would've thought that he could have held on to a couple commanding

first-half leads. "

While I still prefer Sherman over Jauron, the reasons for Sherman's firing are similar to our discontentment with MM.

FWIW.

Quit smoking your crack pipe.........Sherman had better record than JAuron and was even part of Ron Wolf's scouting department. This is just like taking Williams and Mularkey over John Fox and Charlie Weiss........The records speak for themselves. There's a lot of great coaches that didn't go to Yale, such as bill Belicheck and John Fox to name a few. Most people that went to Yale are working on Wall street!!!!!!

quote=Casey D,Jan 23 2006, 07:21 AM]

i agree with your post, but i assure you that in terms of status and academic prestige as an undergraduate institution, wesleyan (belichick's alma mater) is pretty much the equal of yale.

Let's start with Evans.  The scouting reports (Scouts, Inc.) that I have seen point to Evans being an erratic route runner with average hands.

579910[/snapback]

stop right there. you have no idea what you're talking about. evans has probably the best hands of any bills receiver since bob chandler -- better than butler's, and better than reed's. watch some games instead of reading scouting reports ...

stop right there. you have no idea what you're talking about.  evans has probably the best hands of any bills receiver since bob chandler -- better than butler's, and better than reed's. watch some games instead of reading scouting reports ...

580397[/snapback]

I like how everyone casually ignores the rest of the points in regards to the talent on this team and focuses on their subjective opinion that Evans has "great" hands. Independent talent evaluators disagree and many others are still in wait and see mode with Evans. However, you have now anointed him with the best set of hands in Bills history. Excellent.

I like how everyone casually ignores the rest of the points in regards to the talent on this team and focuses on their subjective opinion that Evans has "great" hands.  Independent talent evaluators disagree and many others are still in wait and see mode with Evans.  However, you have now anointed him with the best set of hands in Bills history.  Excellent.

580443[/snapback]

i said "since bob chandler." who are these "independent evaluators" anyway? guys who judged him coming out of college? i can honestly say that i've yet to meet one knowledgeable bills fan who doesn't think he has sensational hands.

(The 2001 Bears') defense was overrated. 

579238[/snapback]

;)

They gave up the fewest points of any team in the league that season. IMO, that's way more impressive than the oft-used yardage stat.

It's hard to overrate a defense that doesn't let their opponents score don'tcha think?

The Buffalo Bills have been run like a fantasy team for the fans over the last five years.  Lots of flash and good PR, but no character.  Need to get the fans excited, trade for an over-the-hill Bledsoe and watch the fans come out like he's Jim Kelly.  Need another shot of adreneline, sign an aging Lawyer Milloy in 2003.  Fans hate Gregg Williams, fire him.  Fans want a hot new QB, draft Losman.  Fans sick of Bledsoe and want hot young QB, dump Bledsoe.  And the fans lapped it up, selling out every game in 2005, while the team sunk to new depths.

Now we have a new sheriff in town named Marv Levy, who has a very different approach.  We are going to build this team right, from the bottom up with quality, character players.  Not everyone will be from that lack of character institution--the University of Miami--we'll get some quality guys.  We will build the lines-- so we can block and tackle.  We will get the fundamentals right.

Enter Dick Jauron.  Certainly no flash there.  But by every account a quality man who players will play for.  Oh, and he went to Yale, so he's likely smart, and can learn from his mistakes.  And he's high character, and a teacher.  And he knows the value of a stout D-line.

So what do many on this board want--run him out of town.  Why, because we did not hire the flashier, instant gratification candidate in Mike Sherman.  And truth be told as much as the fans say they hated TD at the end, they in fact miss his "give the fans what they want" approach, even if they don't know anything about building a winning business, much less a football team.  All they know is that they want to make a big splash today, so the media will say nice things about us.

I am tired of the TD approach.  I am tired of the push for instant gratification.  I want to see teams, like those when Levy coached, who know how to take a punch and get back up and fight some more.  I want a team that beats Miami when the QB finds a way into the end zone on the last play, not one that loses on the last play.  Levy knew character and quality before.  I think he still does.  And while Jauron may not be flashy, he has the brains and character that this team so desperately needs right now.

579193[/snapback]

This is the best case for Jauron that I have heard yet.

;)

They gave up the fewest points of any team in the league that season.  IMO, that's way more impressive than the oft-used yardage stat. 

It's hard to overrate a defense that doesn't let their opponents score don'tcha think?

580704[/snapback]

It's not when you play the easiest schedule in the league and beat up on cupcakes all year long. When faced with quality offenses, the defense crumbled.

i said "since bob chandler." who are these "independent evaluators" anyway? guys who judged him coming out of college? i can honestly say that i've yet to meet one knowledgeable bills fan who doesn't think he has sensational hands.

580488[/snapback]

Don't interrupt him, he's busy Googling the name "bob chandler"

It's not when you play the easiest schedule in the league and beat up on cupcakes all year long.  When faced with quality offenses, the defense crumbled.

580733[/snapback]

Any defense that holds their opponents to 12 TDs over a 16 game season is pretty damn good. IMO, anyone who claims otherwise has an axe to grind.

BTW, those "cupcakes" included a 12-4 49ers team (9th ranked rushing offense), a 12-4 Packers (twice) (4th ranked passing), a 9-7 Bucs team (5th ranked passing), and a 10-6 Ravens team (11th ranked rushing). The Vikes, who as a team struggled, had the 8th ranked passing offense, yet they only managed to score a total of 16 points against the Bears over the course of 8 quarters in 2001.

I'm not saying that Jauron is the next (insert coaching legend's name here), but to be fair to the guy, those being critical of him should at least know what they're talking about.