BILLS 2006 DRAFT

Every forecast I've seen has the Bills drafting Nose Tackle Haloti Ngata with their #8 overall pick. I really hope the levy/head coach debacle doesn't mess up their drafting of this guy because by all reports he's exactly what they need. 6'4", 345 lbs, with speed and agility. A real 2-gapper that's impossible for one guy to block. All but stops runs up the middle, which was the Bills achilles heal after the loss of Pat Williams and the melt down of blubber boy Sam Adams. Another thing I like about Ngata is his motivation for going to the NFL early is to support his younger siblings now that, unfortunately, his parents have passed away. This guy should be all business and focused on building a solid career.

If they get Ngata and he's what he's crack up to be, Bills defensive could rocket right back into one of the league's very best. Remember, their run defense was poor even before the injury to Spikes. In addition to the Levy/head coach mess, biggest risk to not landing this guy seems to be 9ers drafting him first with #7 pick.

Here's some links to mock draft sites:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

http://football.about.com/cs/nfldraft/a/bl_mockdraft.htm

Every forecast I've seen has the Bills drafting Nose Tackle Haloti Ngata with their #8 overall pick.  I really hope the levy/head coach debacle doesn't mess up their drafting of this guy because by all reports he's exactly what they need.  6'4", 345 lbs, with speed and agility.  A real 2-gapper that's impossible for one guy to block. All but stops runs up the middle, which was the Bills achilles heal after the loss of Pat Williams and the melt down of blubber boy Sam Adams. Another thing I like about Ngata is his motivation for going to the NFL early is to support his younger siblings now that, unfortunately, his parents have passed away. This guy should be all business and focused on building a solid career.

If they get Ngata and he's what he's crack up to be, Bills defensive could rocket right back into one of the league's very best.  Remember, their run defense was poor even before the injury to Spikes. In addition to the Levy/head coach mess, biggest risk to not landing this guy seems to be 9ers drafting him first with #7 pick.

577102[/snapback]

Alot of people on this site would like to see somone differnt taken By the bills. Personally I want to see him drafted especailly since adams looks like hes got 2 feet out the door and Ngata should be arounf for atlest 4 years.

Alot of people on this site would like to see somone differnt taken By the bills. Personally I want to see him drafted especailly since adams looks like hes got 2 feet out the door and Ngata should be arounf for atlest 4 years.

577104[/snapback]

if you're weak against the run you basically can't compete in this league. loss of pat williams was biggest problem for bills last year. this has to be priority #1 in my opinion.

if you're weak against the run you basically can't compete in this league.  loss of pat williams was biggest problem for bills last year. this has to be priority #1 in my opinion.

577107[/snapback]

and it's a priority that might be filled in free agency with a guy like Ryan Pickett, which would open the door to draft a LT prospect like Eric Winston with our top pick and allow us to take a DT in Round 2 (a guy that will ultimately replace Sam Adams).

and it's a priority that might be filled in free agency with a guy like Ryan Pickett, which would open the door to draft a LT prospect like Eric Winston with our top pick and allow us to take a DT in Round 2 (a guy that will ultimately replace Sam Adams).

577111[/snapback]

gimme ngata over pickett. pickett had 4 years with the rams with consistently one of the worst defenses across the board. at barely 300 ln, he's too small to be a true 2-gapper. i just can't get too excited about his upside. ngata is 40 lbs heavier and has upside potential far beyond pickett.

gimme ngata over pickett. pickett had 4 years with the rams with consistently one of the worst defenses across the board. at barely 300 ln, he's too small to be a true 2-gapper. i just can't get too excited about his upside. ngata is 40 lbs heavier and has upside potential far beyond pickett.

577117[/snapback]

Has Pickett had the luxery of lining up to a quality DT as Sam Adams thus far in his career? I think not. Remember this, the draft is about getting the best collection of players. As I see it there are far few quality Left OTs in this years draft than DTs. So to me the smart thing to do is select a guy like Winston in Round 1 and a DT like Gabe Watson in Round 2. As to me Winston + Watson > Ngata + Daryn Colledge (or fill in your choice for a 2nd Round OT prospect).

Also, I feel that the draft is a good place to fill depth and free agency a good place to find starters (when can as again think we can find a starting DT easier in free agency than a starting Left OT).

577117[/snapback]

couple more points here:

- one nose tackle will have a bigger impact on the defense than one offensive lineman will have on the offense. it's partly a matter of math: d-lines are either 3 or 4 players and o-lines are always 5 players, meaning the nose tackle is a larger percent of the total versus any o-lineman. [the only o-line position that is even potentially comparable is center, and bills seems set there.] don't believe me? then how do you explain the massive run stopping decline the bills suffered after williams left and adams was proven a bust, which occured well before spikes injury?

- selecting on o-lineman that's nfl calibar seems a more difficult task than a position like nose tackle. does mike williams ring a bell?

couple more points here:

- one nose tackle will have a bigger impact on the defense than one offensive lineman will have on the offense. it's partly a matter of math: d-lines are either 3 or 4 players and o-lines are always 5 players, meaning the nose tackle is a larger percent of the total versus any o-lineman.  [the only o-line position that is even potentially comparable is center, and bills seems set there.] don't believe me?  then how do you explain the massive run stopping decline the bills suffered after williams left and adams was proven a bust, which occured well before spikes injury?

- selecting on o-lineman that's nfl calibar seems a more difficult task than a position like nose tackle.  does mike williams ring a bell?

And D-linemen usually make an impact quicker than O-linemen.

- selecting on o-lineman that's nfl calibar seems a more difficult task than a position like nose tackle.  does mike williams ring a bell?

577146[/snapback]

You just made the point I was trying to make, take a higher quality guy like Winston as you can get a way with a lower caliber guy to play DT. As need I remind you of Pat Williams never being drafted in the NFL?

If don't like Pickett there are other free agent DTs out there. Another guy on my short list is Russell Davis, who might be more to your liking if prefer a true 2 gap NT type.

Two players we need in free agency:

Gerard Warren (DT, Denver)

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/teams/player_bio.asp...271&hubName=DEN

Steve Hutchenson (OG, Seattle)

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/teams/player_bio.asp...414&hubName=SEA

Brady is still having nightmares of Warren..

Combine Warren with Ngata...Kelsay and Schoebel. That foursome could get pressure on every play....

You just made the point I was trying to make, take a higher quality guy like Winston as you can get a way with a lower caliber guy to play DT. As need I remind you of Pat Williams never being drafted in the NFL?

If don't like Pickett there are other free agent DTs out there. Another guy on my short list is Russell Davis, who might be more to your liking if prefer a true 2 gap NT type.

577153[/snapback]

dont see how i made your point at all. bills have proven to be highly dependant on the nose tackle position and there's no free agent nose tackle that seems to be able to fit the bill as well as ngata has the potential to. since it's more random which players can make it at the o-line position it makes sense to a. have a bias to selecting them later in the draft and b. use free agency to pick up proven o-lineman.

577148[/snapback]

indeed and guys like Igor Olshansky, Kris Jenkins, Shaun Rogers and Cornelius Griffin are examples of DTs selected in the 2nd Round of their respective drafts that were impact players as rookies.

577148[/snapback]

yeah and we need players that can help us now not years down the road. other than QB, rookie o-lineman seem to take the longest time to develop, unless that rare orlando pace comes along. this draft has no orlando pace. i'm hoping they get Ngata who can help this team from day 1

yeah and we need players that can help us now not years down the road.  other than QB, rookie o-lineman seem to take the longest time to develop, unless that rare orlando pace comes along. this draft has no orlando pace.  i'm hoping they get Ngata who can help this team from day 1

I think a 1st round DT will a help a lot faster than a 1st round OL, or that the odds are higher of a 1st round DT helping faster than a 1st round OL. And the lack of a stud DT this year killed the Bills' defense. I don't know if Ngata is the guy, or if the Bills can find a DT in FA, but that's the #1 priority in my mind. Because with a good defense, you at least have a chance. Then take the promising guys on the O-line (Peters, Preston, Gandy at OG) and add a FA or two there, drafting one for the future.

dont see how i made your point at all.  bills have proven to be highly dependant on the nose tackle position and there's no free agent nose tackle that seems to be able to fit the bill as well as ngata has the potential to.  since it's more random which players can make it at the o-line position it makes sense to a. have a bias to selecting them later in the draft and b. use free agency to pick up proven o-lineman.

577159[/snapback]

selecting on o-lineman that's nfl calibar seems a more difficult task than a position like nose tackle.

Read this to yourself and ask yourself this question. If a position is more difficult task would you want to take a lesser talent at this position or a better talent? Call me crazy but I'd take a more talented guy. Conversely since NT is an easier position to fill can you get away with a lesser quality here if needed? I say yes so that's why I can see waiting to take a DT.

You can use free agency to find proven o-lineman but quickly name the last proven Left OT that moved from what team to another? Off hand the only name I can think of is Wil Wolford, and we've been weak at that position ever since. Conversely many quality NTs have moved from team to team.

selecting on o-lineman that's nfl calibar seems a more difficult task than a position like nose tackle.

Read this to yourself and ask yourself this question. If a position is more difficult task would you want to take a lesser talent at this position or a better talent? Call me crazy but I'd take a more talented guy. Conversely since NT is an easier position to fill can you get away with a lesser quality here if needed?

You can use free agency to find proven o-lineman but quickly name the last proven Left OT that moved from what team to another? Off hand the only name I can think of is Wil Wolford, and we've been weak at that position ever since. Conversely many quality NTs have moved from team to team.

577173[/snapback]

read this quote of mine: "since it's more random which players can make it at the o-line position it makes sense to a. have a bias to selecting them later in the draft and b. use free agency to pick up proven o-lineman." that's the strategy makes sense to me. and actually there are many o-lineman that work in free agrency. how about jets center mawae? or our former ruben brown who looks like a pro-bowler again? before them jumbo elliott when he moved from giants to jets? should i go on?

we need a real impact player at nose tackle to make this defense click -- Ngata could be that guy, the free agent candidates are more like bodies filling space.

read this quote of mine: "since it's more random which players can make it at the o-line position it makes sense to a. have a bias to selecting them later in the draft and b. use free agency to pick up proven o-lineman."  that's the strategy makes sense to me.  and actually there are many o-lineman that work in free agrency. how about jets center mawae? or our former ruben brown who looks like a pro-bowler again?  before them jumbo elliott when he moved from giants to jets? should i go on? 

we need a real impact player at nose tackle to make this defense click -- Ngata could be that guy, the free agent candidates are more like bodies filling space.

577176[/snapback]

Do we need an impact NT or just an improvement on guys like Bannan and Anderson who to me are career backups? To me guys like Pickett, Davis, Bernard, Whitehead and Lewis have shown they can start on other teams in this league and probably can start ahead of Bannan and Anderson and to me thus an improvement in our defense.

The Bills should use FA to shore up need areas.  I'd say those are DT and OL, with one guy needed there minimum.  The draft can then be used to fill-in other areas, or to take the DT or OL if they didn't get one in FA.

577177[/snapback]

I agree and to me we won't ever fill the need for a left OT in free agency ever hence I'm looking to draft one but I've only said that for years whether it was to take Bryant McKinnie or Kenyatta Walker or Marvel Smith or Flozell Adams or Tarick Glenn. Some have been misses and some have been hits but hey it's a chance you take but to me it's worth taking because if you hit, you'll likely have that player for the rest of his career.

I agree and to me we won't ever fill the need for a left OT in free agency ever hence I'm looking to draft one but I've only said that for years whether it was to take Bryant McKinnie or Kenyatta Walker or Marvel Smith or Flozell Adams or Tarick Glenn. Some have been misses and some have been hits but hey it's a chance you take but to me it's worth taking because if you hit, you'll likely have that player for the rest of his career.

Jason Peters will play LT. The Bills will need to find a RT which will be relatively easier and cheaper.

Every forecast I've seen has the Bills drafting Nose Tackle Haloti Ngata with their #8 overall pick.  I really hope the levy/head coach debacle doesn't mess up their drafting of this guy because by all reports he's exactly what they need.  6'4", 345 lbs, with speed and agility.  A real 2-gapper that's impossible for one guy to block. All but stops runs up the middle, which was the Bills achilles heal after the loss of Pat Williams and the melt down of blubber boy Sam Adams. Another thing I like about Ngata is his motivation for going to the NFL early is to support his younger siblings now that, unfortunately, his parents have passed away. This guy should be all business and focused on building a solid career.

If they get Ngata and he's what he's crack up to be, Bills defensive could rocket right back into one of the league's very best.  Remember, their run defense was poor even before the injury to Spikes. In addition to the Levy/head coach mess, biggest risk to not landing this guy seems to be 9ers drafting him first with #7 pick.

577102[/snapback]

then all we need are 2 more D-linemen and we'll have a good D-line;)

there is actually a BYU in Hawaii-not sure if anyone knew that, or cared.

My mother grew up in Palmyra, the birth place of the mormons, it's a very depressing town, and south park did a good job making it look stupid.

Ngata is the best player for us in the draft, I have a million plus questions about the LT in this draft, not to mention it is hard for a rookie to start at LT their rookie year.

Mario Williams or Ngata-we need an impact player on Defense

577102[/snapback]

Before or after we trade for TO?? :blink:

Before or after we trade for TO??  :blink:

577354[/snapback]

i would LOVE to see Ngata at NT and TO at WR. this team would be energized, dangerous and capable of beating any team in the league. name 2 other players we have the ability to sign who could create the same impact.

now if we only had a GM and HC that knew how to manage a team!!!!

577102[/snapback]

I saw the Bowl game and Ngata didn't look good and conversely I saw the Virginia game and "The Brick" looked impressive. My vote is for the lineman from Virginia. I don't know many shots showed him double teamed but in general he looked slow and off balance.

The key to the offense is developing the young guys on the line, at QB, reiever and tight end. We need ok left tackle from FA and depth in round 3 . The D needs to be rebuilt. We need DT(#1),cornerback(tag NC and trade for a 2), strong safety(use our other 2),linebacker(use o ther 3). Then add def end as our big free agent pick up. Go for a quick running back with 4 and a qb with 5. Let Milloy,Posey, BAndersongo. Keep Teague for 2 years as versatile veteran backup and resign Josh Reed. Keep Molds under 4 tear extension. Keep Williams for 1 year to see if he can be a top tier guard,if so sign to long term if not let him go. Finally give JP the keys for the year and see how he comes along. We need to be aiming at 2007 for a good run

Two players we need in free agency:

Gerard Warren (DT, Denver)

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/teams/player_bio.asp...271&hubName=DEN

Steve Hutchenson (OG, Seattle)

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/teams/player_bio.asp...414&hubName=SEA

Brady is still having nightmares of Warren..

Combine Warren with Ngata...Kelsay and Schoebel. That foursome could get pressure on every play....

577156[/snapback]

Agreed. Well said.

"When he's healthy and motivated, there's absolutely no question he's the best in the country," Bellotti said. "He hasn't always been healthy, and it took him a couple games to get motivated, in all honesty. " -- Oregon head coach Mike Bellotti

"When he turns it on, he's something special," Aliotti said. "Unfortunately, big men like that sometimes get tired, get a little overweight and don't always turn it on. But when Haloti's on his game, he's a force. He can be one of the finest defensive tackles that ever played. -- Oregon DC Nick Aliotti

Anybody else find these quotes troubling?

"When he's healthy and motivated, there's absolutely no question he's the best in the country," Bellotti said. "He hasn't always been healthy, and it took him a couple games to get motivated, in all honesty. " -- Oregon head coach Mike Bellotti

"When he turns it on, he's something special," Aliotti said. "Unfortunately, big men like that sometimes get tired, get a little overweight and don't always turn it on. But when Haloti's on his game, he's a force. He can be one of the finest defensive tackles that ever played. -- Oregon DC Nick Aliotti

577404[/snapback]

i find them inspiring the guy has that much potential. also, consider this guy is the eldest of 3 in a family, sadly, that has lost both parents. the reason he declared eligibility early was to take care of his younger siblings. sounds like a stand up guy that will be properly motivated to establish a long term career, doing what he has to.

I was also not overly impressed with Ngata in the Bowl game, but since that was the only time I've ever seen him play, I'll defer to those who have watched him more closely. I really do not want to go OL at #8, but would not mind a trade down & taking an OL #1 around picks 15-32.

Jason Peters will play LT.  The Bills will need to find a RT which will be relatively easier and cheaper.

577194[/snapback]

That´s what I´d do. Next year will be all new, coaches, system players and expectations in reality won´t be to high.

Move Peters now to LT to see if he can be the man who can finally put some stability to the position. Back up play would be Gandy. While he´s not great he did have a solid year.

If Peters can handle the position, you then sign Hutch to play LG, if you can´t, move Gandy there and try to sign Bentley.

If we don´t keep Williams draft a RT and let him battle the position with McFarland.

funny, pats drafted brady based only on potential since he barely played at michigan and that seems to have worked out fine!!!

577582[/snapback]

Big difference between picking at #8 and at #199 (sixth round), which is where Brady was selected. We have only to look at our illustrious RT and his "unlimited potential" to see the pitfalls that kind of mistake can have on the team.

577404[/snapback]

Tough call when deciding the type of player to draft...

1. Great potential, pro bowl ability, but some questions in terms of effort

or

2. High motor guy, always gives 100%, but has limits in terms of athletic ability.

I've seen enough of #2, give me some guys that are more like #1 and cross your fingers that your front office staff can pick the right guy and the coaching staff can mold them into pro bowlers!