$8.8M to Franchise Clemens?

joesz

Some time ago I remember reading in this forum that it would cost the Bills about $5.8M to put the Franchise Tag on Nate Clemens, based on what was heard on the national media (Mort?). Aparently that number was very wrong, based on the positional franchise tag just published on Ask the Comish.

Ask the Comish

Cornerback $8.816 million

Quarterback $8.078 million

Wide Receiver $7.768 million

Offensive Line $7.424 million

Defensive End $6.666 million

Running Back $6.323 million

Linebacker $5.95 million

Defensive Tackle $5.134 million

Safety $4.968 million

Tight End $2.687 million

Kicker/Punter $1.787 million

If these new number are true, I seriously doubt the Bills will franchise Clemens, evn if they only intend to use the tag to trade him.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, how can it cost more to franchise a corner than a QB, that doesnt make sense. But didnt the raiders have a bad situation with charles woodson last offseason? I remember they franchised him trying to trade him, they couldnt trade him and woodson signed the deal and they had to give him 10 mil or something.

These look like last years numbers.  I remember people saying that this year it would only cost 5-6 mill. to franchise a corner this year.

576719[/snapback]

If you check out the link, you will see the posting date of January 21, 2006.

Lots of variables here. Was Nate's dropoff in production tied to the team's overall shoddy defensive play? Were the schemes poor? Who will be the new DC, and what will he think?

Too early to predict anything at this point.

I would let Clements go.

The Bills still have the likes of Jabari Greer, Eric King and don't forget Kevin Thomas, who was playing the nickel back before he got hurt. Another CB could also be added in draft or free agency.

BTW the CBs who had the highest pay to figure out the average...

1. A. Winfield $12.4 million

2. T. Law $9.6M

3. S. Rolle $8.3M

4. P. Surtain $7.8M

The franchise tag was $8.816M, the transition tag was $6.93M.

Boy TD really fugged up with Winfield. <_<

looks like these above are really the 2005 #s

http://www.theredzone.org/2005/freeagents/2005tags.asp

unless all numers are exactly the same this yr.

Im not sure 2006 #s are out yet

Good catch. Those ARE the 2005 numbers as there's no way the numbers are EXACTLY the same from one year to the next. It should be the $5.5M reported earlier.

thought experiment here. when healthy (an issue, of course), charles woodson is certainly as good as clements. he will probably be cheaper too. is it worth it to go after him? another player like him who comes to mind who got hurt a lot, went to another team, and is now excelling is shawn springs, who has been lights out for the skins the past two seasons.