Golf clubs

Quick question for the golfers in the crowd--

I am an average golfer...Rarely over 100, but I've only broken 90 two times that I can remember. I usually am in the 92-98 range. I feel like I could get better pretty quickly, if only I played more and invested some time and money in it. I think last summer, for as nice as it was, I only played 7-10 times, and 2-3 of those outings were par-3 courses. I don't take it too seriously; more for the beers and the sport of it.

I'm swinging some old King Cobra irons that were passed down from a family friend who got a new set. They had some miles on them when I got 'em, and I've had 'em for a good six years or longer. I'm going to buy a new set this year, and was looking for some recommendations.

Right now, I'm leaning toward a set of the Taylor Made RAC's. I have the TM Burner 3-wood and 5-wood, and I also had the driver, but the shaft fell victim to a club throwing incident. I was a little angry, but that's all in the past now. Anyhoo, I can crush the TM metal woods, and I figured I'd give the irons a go. But if you guys can point me in a different direction, let me know.

I'm probably going to buy on Ebay or the Web, and I'd like to stay around $300-$400 for a 3-PW set of irons. I have swung the RAC's at a range, and I would like to take some swings with a few other brands. What do you guys like?

It's really a personal thing. I'd suggest going to a Edwin Watts-type place and hitting some irons. Try Cavity-back and blades. Also, try some oversized grips and see how they feel. Don't forget to ensure the shaft stiffness (cue Beavis laugh) suits your swing.

It's really a personal thing.  I'd suggest going to a Edwin Watts-type place and hitting some irons.  Try Cavity-back and blades.  Also, try some oversized grips and see how they feel.  Don't forget to ensure the shaft stiffness (cue Beavis laugh) suits your swing.

574546[/snapback]

Yeah, I've played quite a few rounds with my grandfather's blades. They're nice when you catch it sweet but not very forgiving. I'll probably go steel shaft, regular stiffness.

I am an average golfer...Rarely over 100, but I've only broken 90 two times that I can remember.  I usually am in the 92-98 range.  I feel like I could get better pretty quickly, if only I played more and invested some time and money in it.  I think last summer, for as nice as it was, I only played 7-10 times, and 2-3 of those outings were par-3 courses.  I don't take it too seriously; more for the beers and the sport of it.

I'm swinging some old King Cobra irons that were passed down from a family friend who got a new set.  They had some miles on them when I got 'em, and I've had 'em for a good six years or longer.  I'm going to buy a new set this year, and was looking for some recommendations.

Right now, I'm leaning toward a set of the Taylor Made RAC's.  I have the TM Burner 3-wood and 5-wood, and I also had the driver, but the shaft fell victim to a club throwing incident.  I was a little angry, but that's all in the past now.  Anyhoo, I can crush the TM metal woods, and I figured I'd give the irons a go.  But if you guys can point me in a different direction, let me know.

I'm probably going to buy on Ebay or the Web, and I'd like to stay around $300-$400 for a 3-PW set of irons.  I have swung the RAC's at a range, and I would like to take some swings with a few other brands.  What do you guys like?

574515[/snapback]

Where your game is now, more strokes will be taken off your game with a series of lessons than ANY set of clubs. I know I sound like an old fuddy duddy, but this is what i did, and i went from a 16 to a 8 in the span of one summer.

And I play with 8 tyr ols bubble burners I got about 4 yrs ago when my father in law died, before that I played N!s that were demos.

Clubs do not matter, swings do!!!!!!

Where your game is now, more strokes will be taken off your game with a series of lessons than ANY set of clubs. I know I sound like an old fuddy duddy, but this is what i did, and i went from a 16 to a t8 in the span of one summer.

And I play with 8 tyr ols bubble burners I got about 4 yrs ago when my father in law died, before that I played N!s that were demos.

574571[/snapback]

Totally agree...I know I could get better pretty quickly, but I've never really had the interest to do it. I just liked playing. I've been golfing fairly regularly since I was 11, so my swing is decent. I lose plenty of strokes inside 100yds. Several years ago, I stopped getting angry when I played poorly, because I really didn't play or practice enough to expect to shoot in the 80's.

This summer, I plan on playing more, and I wanted to get a set of new (or like new) irons. Like I said, mine were hand-offs, and they've seen their better days. I'm 27 years old and I've never bought a set, so I figure it might as well be time. If all is well, I may even join a club and take full advantage of an on-site pro, etc.

For $300 (it was 3 years ago)i got my set of Tommy Armour Evo's, 3-PW great clubs and i love them. They are cavity backed, and a more bottom weighted club to help get a bit higher trajectory on the ball.

By as was said, the only way to really find out is to go to edwin watts or dicks and swing the clubs themselves. Most places had mini indoor ranges to hit a few balls. Go with what feels best after swinging them.

I have the TM RAC irons and like them. Definitely look for them on ebay. I did and saved $200 vs. the golf store price and got them brand new; factory sealed.

plenzmd1 is correct about the value of quality lessons. We did a 4 days trip to FLA with http://www.vipgolfacademy.com/ and it was well worth it. I improved a lot and more importantly, learned to recognize what I was doing right and wrong on the swing so that I could continue to work on my game on my own.

For $300 (it was 3 years ago)i got my set of Tommy Armour Evo's, 3-PW great clubs and i love them. They are cavity backed, and a more bottom weighted club to help get a bit higher trajectory on the ball.

By as was said, the only way to really find out is to go to edwin watts or dicks and swing the clubs themselves. Most places had mini indoor ranges to hit a few balls. Go with what feels best after swinging them.

574591[/snapback]

Thanks man, I'll give 'em a look.

And yes, while I plan on buying on the Web (a little cheaper) I will not buy anything that I haven't actually hit a few balls with.

I do have to look around though...Sometimes when the snow is flying in the Northeast, places like Dick's will have some solid sales. Might be different in Florida, since you guys don't really have an offseason!

Smokin this is a good website where i get most of my golf equipment from. I've dealt with this site for a couple of years now and they are very helpful if you have a question and their packaging and delivery is very reliable. Can't beat the prices either.

Link

As far as irons go If you are a +20 handicap or higher I wouldn't go right to a set of Taylor Mades right away Trust me it could take you a couple of years to find the sweet spot. They are good clubs and the reason why people tend to lean toward their irons is because people have had so much success with their woods. I personally would go with an oversize (not Mickey Mouse clubs) irons. You can't tell that they are oversized by looking at them but the "sweet spot" is bigger in turn making your golf game a hell of alot better in the long run.

Edit: What I would do is find a set you're interested in then go to Dick's Sporting Goods and demo clubs you may be interested in. They'll let you try out whatever you want to try out. Some good deals right now on RockBottom golf (link I enclosed) on irons.

Said, but worth repeating: if you are buying clubs to improve your game, you're better off with lessons because when you hit in the high 90s and low 100s like me, you can have the best clubs in the world and you're still going to hit in the high 90s and low 100s.

If you are having trouble from 100 yards out, then go get a couple of lessons on the short game. I agree that is one of the most difficult parts of the game, at least for me, because the accuracy of that shot is the difference between a good round and a great round. I mean, if you hit your drive poorly, but it still goes about 200 yards to the right or left, depending on the course, you can get yourself out of that jam and save the hole. But from 100 out, you need to stick it and two putt, and that isn't going to happen when you overhit, underhit, skull it, etc. And unfortunately, new clubs won't really fix that.

Said, but worth repeating: if you are buying clubs to improve your game, you're better off with lessons because when you hit in the high 90s and low 100s like me, you can have the best clubs in the world and you're still going to hit in the high 90s and low 100s.

If you are having trouble from 100 yards out, then go get a couple of lessons on the short game. I agree that is one of the most difficult parts of the game, at least for me, because the accuracy of that shot is the difference between a good round and a great round. I mean, if you hit your drive poorly, but it still goes about 200 yards to the right or left, depending on the course, you can get yourself out of that jam and save the hole. But from 100 out, you need to stick it and two putt, and that isn't going to happen when you overhit, underhit, skull it, etc. And unfortunately, new clubs won't really fix that.

574609[/snapback]

Guys, you are all correct, and I appreciate the advice. I know I could get better with lessons...I could also get better by simply playing 1-2 times per week instead of once per month, so I plan on doing that.

I'm not buying clubs because I want to drop 10 strokes. I'm buying clubs because I need them, so if you have any recommendations, good or bad, about the clubs you have, I would be grateful for that info.

I'm not dogging you LA, you are 100% correct...I'm not looking for a quick fix, I'm willing to work at to get better. I would just like to play a track with some clubs that weren't made before I was born.

Thanks man, I'll give 'em a look.

And yes, while I plan on buying on the Web (a little cheaper) I will not buy anything that I haven't actually hit a few balls with.

I do have to look around though...Sometimes when the snow is flying in the Northeast, places like Dick's will have some solid sales.  Might be different in Florida, since you guys don't really have an offseason!

574601[/snapback]

I bought my clubs back when i was still living in buffalo... :o But now i get to use them year round...

I am an average golfer...Rarely over 100, but I've only broken 90 two times that I can remember.  I usually am in the 92-98 range.  I feel like I could get better pretty quickly, if only I played more and invested some time and money in it.  I think last summer, for as nice as it was, I only played 7-10 times, and 2-3 of those outings were par-3 courses.  I don't take it too seriously; more for the beers and the sport of it.

I'm swinging some old King Cobra irons that were passed down from a family friend who got a new set.  They had some miles on them when I got 'em, and I've had 'em for a good six years or longer.  I'm going to buy a new set this year, and was looking for some recommendations.

Right now, I'm leaning toward a set of the Taylor Made RAC's.  I have the TM Burner 3-wood and 5-wood, and I also had the driver, but the shaft fell victim to a club throwing incident.  I was a little angry, but that's all in the past now.  Anyhoo, I can crush the TM metal woods, and I figured I'd give the irons a go.  But if you guys can point me in a different direction, let me know.

I'm probably going to buy on Ebay or the Web, and I'd like to stay around $300-$400 for a 3-PW set of irons.  I have swung the RAC's at a range, and I would like to take some swings with a few other brands.  What do you guys like?

574515[/snapback]

I definately recommend going to a golf pro shop and trying several different types of clubs out. I'd stay away from Dick's as they can be overpriced in their golf dept and not as knowledgeble in the products. I would recommend to you to try the Taylormade RAC HT irons since you seem to score about the same as I do. The high trajectory of the irons will help you get the ball in the air with less effort and more control.

Also, for some cheap, but solid custom wedges check out warrior custom golf. I got a set of 3 custom wedges, 53, 56, and 61 degrees for 30 dollars and they are the nicest wedges I've played outside of the absolute top of the line professional models.

Anyways, find a good golf shop and try out a ton of irons, look into stiff flex steel shafts as well. Also checkout www.rockbottomgolf.com for great deals, its one of my favorites.

Hope this helps some

Another thing you may want to consider is a set of Clones. I have a set of Tommy Armour 855 clones and other than the name you can't tell the difference in the feel or weight of the club. I demo'd the TA 855's and bought the clones and can hit the stojan out of them.

Just a suggestion... they're much cheaper...

Where your game is now, more strokes will be taken off your game with a series of lessons than ANY set of clubs. I know I sound like an old fuddy duddy, but this is what i did, and i went from a 16 to a 8 in the span of one summer.

574571[/snapback]

This is the right idea.

But, if you really must have better clubs, spend the extrat money and get a set of pings.

Or look for a used set on ebay Ping Eye 2's are awesome clubs.

I've got two words for you -- utility woods. Being able to hit something that feels like a wood instead of a 3- or 4-iron is a wonderful thing. Unfortunately, I got mine at the end of the season so I haven't gotten to play with them much, but I shoot in the range you're talking about (my handicap is a 20) and I expect to improve upon that by 3 or 4 strokes next season.

Also, my short game improved by leaps and bounds when I expanded my set to include a 56 and 60 degree wedge.

In short -- find some irons that feel good to you (I play with Callaways), but look into some utility woods to replace the long irons and an expanded repertoire of wedges. And then get some lessons and practice. :(

Also, my short game improved by leaps and bounds when I expanded my set to include a 56 and 60 degree wedge.

575175[/snapback]

Moreso than any other club in my bag, the 60 degree wedge for me is either feast or famine. When it works, which isn't that often, it's a thing of beauty and I'm dropping balls next to the cup all day. When it doesn't work, which is more often than not, I come up short by 10 feet or somehow manage to get 80 yards out of the thing from 45 yards out.