Where is Levy's coaching tree?

Orton's Arm

Looking at guys like Parcells and Belichick, you hear about their coaching trees. You hear that so-and-so got his start under someone like that, only to become a successful head coach elsewhere in his own right.

Marv was in the league for many years as a head coach. How many successful head coaches or coordinators currently in the league got their start under Marv? I don't know of any. So I'm not expecting Marv to do that great a job selecting the Bills' next head coach.

Looking at guys like Parcells and Belichick, you hear about their coaching trees. You hear that so-and-so got his start under someone like that, only to become a successful head coach elsewhere in his own right.

Marv was in the league for many years as a head coach. How many successful head coaches or coordinators currently in the league got their start under Marv? I don't know of any. So I'm not expecting Marv to do that great a job selecting the Bills' next head coach.

572501[/snapback]

Really?????

Marv's last offensive coordinator was Dan Henning, who is the current offensive coordinator of the Panthers.

Marv's last defensive coordinator was Wade Phillips, who is currently in consideration for a number of HC openings.

Before that, Marchibroda was the OC and be went onto be the HC of the Colts and led his team to the AFC title game.

I fail to see any connection between marv picking a head coach and his picking of asst coaches who became head coaches. Marv was trying to pick good asst coaches, which he did, not pick asst coaches that would go on to become good head coaches someplace. any chance they had as head coaches is after the fact.

572501[/snapback]

572501[/snapback]

Hey....what about Chuck Lester. :doh:

He got his start under Marv! Okay, so he's not a HC, OC or DC, but he has developed as an asst. coach under numerous regimes and I hear his coffee making abilities have really improved over the years. :doh:

Really?????

Marv's last offensive coordinator was Dan Henning, who is the current offensive coordinator of the Panthers.

Marv's last defensive coordinator was Wade Phillips, who is currently in consideration for a number of HC openings.

Before that, Marchibroda was the OC and be went onto be the HC of the Colts and led his team to the AFC title game.

572526[/snapback]

yes tis is true................but theses are guys that were already coaches.marv didnt make them into coaches.when they talk about the parcells or bill walsh coaching trees they are talking about people who cut their teeth learning their systems from the start and then moving on to do their thing

Really?????

572526[/snapback]

Not bad, but pales in comparison to guys like Parcells, Belichick, and Cowher.

Think about it, though. In order to ripen on a coaching tree, the assistant fruit has to be relatively young. Most of Marv's assistants had been around the block, in some cases several times. For much of his time in Buffalo, Marv had Ted Marchibroda and Walt Corey as his OC and DC; those guys were born old. Henning and Phillips had already been HCs when they came onboard, too.

Belichick, Cowher, Parcells, all those guys tended to hire younger assistants. You can look at it as though they're better groomers than Marv, or you can look at it as though Marv isn't intimidated by hiring his peers as assistants.

I don't think Joe Gibbs has much of a coaching tree, either, come to think of it. Unless you think Joe Bugel counts. :doh:

Think about it, though.  In order to ripen on a coaching tree, the assistant fruit has to be relatively young.  Most of Marv's assistants had been around the block, in some cases several times.  For much of his time in Buffalo, Marv had Ted Marchibroda and Walt Corey as his OC and DC; those guys were born old.  Henning and Phillips had already been HCs when they came onboard, too.

Belichick, Cowher, Parcells, all those guys tended to hire younger assistants.  You can look at it as though they're better groomers than Marv, or you can look at it as though Marv isn't intimidated by hiring his peers as assistants.

I don't think Joe Gibbs has much of a coaching tree, either, come to think of it.  Unless you think Joe Bugel counts.  :doh:

572743[/snapback]

Bingo! BTW, Jimmy Johnson has a diseased tree. His list of HC failures is a long one.

572501[/snapback]

Your point is well taken. As, there are 7 current head coaches in the NFL or at a top college program that came from the Belichick tree, while Marv has none.

I think some of this has to do with a variation in coaching styles -- and what the head coach himself brings to the table.

Marv wasn't really a footbal guy perse. He was no great innovator or strategist. Rather, he was a master delegator -- and a guy intelligent and congenial enough to deal with a vast array of personalities. As such, Marv was always content to fill his staff with coaches who were ALREADY highly qualified -- and he placed the faith in them to do their jobs. He has/had the unique ability to talk to a room full of people -- and wind up with each person feeling that he was talking directly to them. A great communicator.

Conversely, you have guys like Belichick, and Walsh that are football guys through and through. These guys have larger than life egos and surround themselves with young, bright assistants that marvel at what they can learn from the "master". These coaches also tend to be quite regimented in how they go about their business, which makes for a sound learning environment for up and comers.

Marv wasn't really a footbal guy perse. He was no great innovator or strategist. Rather, he was a master delegator -- and a guy intelligent and congenial enough to deal with a vast array of personalities. As such, Marv was always content to fill his staff with coaches who were ALREADY highly qualified -- and he placed the faith in them to do their jobs. He has/had the unique ability to talk to a room full of people -- and wind up with each person feeling that he was talking directly to them. A great communicator. 

572776[/snapback]

Which makes everyone wonder why he was in favor of keeing Mularkey around.

Your point is well taken. As, there are 7 current head coaches in the NFL or at a top college program that came from the Belichick tree, while Marv has none.

I think some of this has to do with a variation in coaching styles -- and what the head coach himself brings to the table.

Conversely, you have guys like Belichick, and Walsh that are football guys through and through. These guys have larger than life egos and surround themselves with young, bright assistants that marvel at what they can learn from the "master". These coaches also tend to be quite regimented in how they go about their business, which makes for a sound learning environment for up and comers.

572776[/snapback]

A good post. However, I think Belichick is too cynical about everything--including himself--to be considered arrogant. I also don't see the staff Marv assembled as being anything particularly special. Ted Marchibroda and Wade Phillips were good hires, but beyond that I didn't see a whole lot of innovation coming from the coaching staff he assembled.

A good post. However, I think Belichick is too cynical about everything--including himself--to be considered arrogant. I also don't see the staff Marv assembled as being anything particularly special. Ted Marchibroda and Wade Phillips were good hires, but beyond that I didn't see a whole lot of innovation coming from the coaching staff he assembled.

573073[/snapback]

Calling BB "arrogant" would be to suggest that he was, in some way, human. I don't remember him acting human...well...ever. He seems to be totally without personality or emotion. He cant even work up an "!@#$" persona.

He can coach though. That just baffles me. <_<

Really?????

572526[/snapback]

Longtime coordinators and failed head coaches before ever coming to work for Marv as assistants. Obviously, not branches of Marv's coaching brilliance. There are none. NONE. Marv doesn't even have his own tree, he is just a branch sticking off of the hollowed out log that used to be George Allen's coaching tree.

Longtime coordinators and failed head coaches before ever coming to work for Marv as assistants.  Obviously, not branches of Marv's coaching brilliance.  There are none.  NONE.  Marv doesn't even have his own tree, he is just a branch sticking off of the hollowed out log that used to be George Allen's coaching tree.

573396[/snapback]

People are forgetting the soon to be hall of famer Walt Cory. He was a coaching master. Took us to the superbowl with the likes of no talent bums like Smith Bennett, Talley, Conlan, Odoms and the like. <_<

I don't think Joe Gibbs has much of a coaching tree, either, come to think of it.  Unless you think Joe Bugel counts.  <_<

572743[/snapback]

Joe Bugel, Richie Petibone, Norv Turner, and Terry Robitskie (who always gets named interim coach and loses out the season).

In the end, none of those guys proved successfull at the helm.

While Head Coach at University of California - Berkeley, Levy had an assistant named Bill Walsh

573463[/snapback]

Which just goes to prove that even a blind squirrel can find a nut. I realize there are those out there who consider Marv more than just a blind squirrel. But if that's true, why does he have just one nut?

Calling BB "arrogant" would be to suggest that he was, in some way, human.  I don't remember him acting human...well...ever.  He seems to be totally without personality or emotion.  He cant even work up an "!@#$" persona.

He can coach though.  That just baffles me. <_<

573098[/snapback]

Listen to his press conference after loss. He had plenty of emotion ;)