African American Interviews for Bills HC

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok i am only clowning around here and mean no offense...............but since marv asked ralphie for the head coach job and ralph said no dosnt that qualify for a miniorty interview??...................seriously though everybody talks about ron rivera and ted cottrell......but i say we should interview tim lewis the defensive coordinator from the new york giants!i thought he had their defense playing hard all season,and if not tim then maybe even donnie henderson from the new york jets.seems the last defensive coordinator from the giants that td didnt think would be allright(john fox)turned out ok............go bills in'06

Speaking of which, who are the minority coaches the Jets interviewed?  They offered Mangini the job about 37 seconds after the Patriots lost.

571906[/snapback]

They interviewed many candidates in the previous week. Donnie Henderson, their DC, is a minority, as well as Haslett, Tice, Heimerdinger, Westhof, and I think Fassel and maybe Tim Lewis.

JDG

They interviewed many candidates in the previous week.  Donnie Henderson, their DC, is a minority, as well as Haslett, Tice, Heimerdinger, Westhof, and I think Fassel and maybe Tim Lewis.

JDG

572074[/snapback]

Man, they have been busy with token interviews. Thanks for the scoop, btw.

As usual, the Bills seem to be a week late and a (million) dollar(s) short when it comes to their coaching search... :blink:

Man, they have been busy with token interviews.  Thanks for the scoop, btw.

As usual, the Bills seem to be a week late and a (million) dollar(s) short when it comes to their coaching search...  :blink:

572265[/snapback]

I'm not so sure about that, let's consider who is off the market:

Herman Edwards - We weren't going to trade draft picks for a HC, and we certainly didn't have the personal connection to Herman Edwards to draw him out of his contract.

Mike McCarthy - Intriguing choice, but I don't think he was even on our radar screen.

Gary Kubiak - Houston is his dream job, we weren't getting him.

Eric Mangini - Numerous personal connections to the Jets organization. While we were definitely a week late and a million dollars short (he reportedly got a huge contract for a first-time coach), I don't think we had any shot of him picking us over the Jets, even if the pay was equal.

Brad Childress - O.k., maybe we would have interviewed and hired him, but maybe not.

Sean Payton - Perhaps a week late here as well. I personally wasn't too excited about him, and as with Brad Childress there seems to be strong indications that One Bills Drive is listening to the fans and concentrating on retread HC's, rather than first-timers.

So, despite everything that has hapened, I think that we are basically facing the same coaching market that we would have had Wilson fired Mularkey at the end of the season, and announced that he would be paying "top dollar" for our next HC.

JDG

According to Leo Roth's article this morning, the Bills may be considering Art Shell.

If that is the case, I hope they give him a fair shot and don't just bring him in as the "token" minority interview.

I've never understood why Shell never got another shot at a HC gig after a pretty good run in Oakland (er, LA). And I think he'd actually be a pretty good choice for us -- definitely the kind of tough coach (and former player) that the players would respect.

According to Leo Roth's article this morning, the Bills may be considering Art Shell.

If that is the case, I hope they give him a fair shot and don't just bring him in as the "token" minority interview.

I've never understood why Shell never got another shot at a HC gig after a pretty good run in Oakland (er, LA). And I think he'd actually be a pretty good choice for us -- definitely the kind of tough coach (and former player) that the players would respect.

572421[/snapback]

I'm a huge fan of Art Shell. He did very well with LA and never got another shot.

572421[/snapback]

And according to this, he still wants one more shot. .577 winning percentage. Three playoff appearances in 5 years. A desire to show up every GM in the league. He's the most attractive candidate out there, as far as I'm concerned.

Honestly, this minority interview requirement is going to bite the Bills in the ass. Unless Marv is truely serious about Art Shell, or perhaps Teddy, we are going to have to wait until a token interview is conducted before we can hire either Sherman (hopefully!) or Jauron (gulp!).

And according to this, he still wants one more shot.  .577 winning percentage.  Three playoff appearances in 5 years.  A desire to show up every GM in the league.  He's the most attractive candidate out there, as far as I'm concerned.

572434[/snapback]

from your link:

For those NFL owners who may have forgotten Shell's resume, he coached the Raiders from 1989 to 1994 and his career coaching record is 56-41, with three playoff appearances.

and this:

As far as I can tell, there's only one candidate out there with a .577 winning percentage as an NFL coach -- and a bust in Canton. So if any struggling NFL owners want a winning piece of advice this offseason, here it is:

Hire Art Shell.

and finally:

Is Shell too old at 59?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

No. There is no history of discrimination against Ivy Leaguers by the NFL.

Actually, I think a very solid argument could be made that they do.

Bear in mind that I don't have any actual stats to back this claim up, so it might be totally bogus, but follow this argument -

In most industries, positions that are very demanding, selective and pay extremely well (for instance, CEOs of big companies, major law partners, etc) a very high percentage of those positions are held by Ivy Leaguers, far greater than their representation in the general population.

NFL coaches share these same characteristics (demanding, slective & $), yet I suspect that the %age of these positions held by Ivy leaguers is probably smaller than that in other industries and even possibly less than that of the general population.

This seems like a more valid case of unfair discrimination than the current claims of racial discrimination in the NFL.

I think Ray Rhodes has some serious health concerns, and there is some question about how much more coaching he will do after this year...

I agree with you on Art Shell.  The guy had a very good record, coaching for a maroon like Al Davis, yet has never received any consideration from anyone, despite the fact that he routinely expresses a desire to be a head coach again.  At this point, people will use the excuse that he has been away from the game too long...bit it is just that, an excuse...

571697[/snapback]

Al Davis was the first owner with the guts and the sense to hire a black head coach.