surprised-no talk here about marv's first screwup

his bid to become coach was pretty ugly. it struck me as both delusional and duplicitous. i was a big supporter of marv becoming gm, and still am highly optimistic. that said, he really has looked bad early on. here's hoping he regains his senses ASAFP and begins focusing on hiring the right coach.

anyway, i'm surprised that this isn't the talk of the board today.

and how the hell is sean payton a candidate?? :(

his bid to become coach was pretty ugly.  it struck me as both delusional and duplicitous.  i was a big supporter of marv becoming gm, and still am highly optimistic. that said, he really has looked bad early on. here's hoping he regains his senses ASAFP and begins focusing on hiring the right coach.

anyway, i'm surprised that this isn't the talk of the board today.

and how the hell is sean payton a candidate?? :(

567946[/snapback]

Agreed. Maybe Gibbs and Vermeil's return got him thinking a little too much.

He's better off in the front office.

Maybe he'll meddle too much in coaching matters, but we'll have to see.

Right now he needs to be focused on getting the HC settled and helping him hire assistants.

Peyton's got a pedigree of sorts. Not my first choice - but frankly at this point I don't have a first choice. There are a ton of openings and staff changes are going to be enormous this off season.

I hope you didn't throw out your shoulder reaching for this...

567956[/snapback]

Thats is not a srew up on his part more of a Freudian slip ..........He doesnt know spit about being a G.M. to people stop talking about him like he will be. He is a figure head learning on the Job . People be realistic we all know that Modrak is the man who is really running the show ( I for one is very comfortable with that ) That is the only saving grace of not being the laughing stock of the NFL.

I still think Marv was just misunderstood, but still...I don't like the way this whole thing appears. I have to admit, a sense of 'seller's remorse' has settled into me re: donahoe. Not because I think he did a great job - he merely did a good job. He hit on my guys that we're thrilled about, a few who we don't know enough about, and a handful of failures. But you always wonder if this would have been the year that it all came together. Like it seemed to in 2003. And then in 2004. And again in 2005.

I know, I know. It's the void that makes me feel this way. This team is in disarray, and I fear that this could get much worse bfore it gets better. if modrak leaves, or mcnally, or the other coaches, forcing the bills to fill so many spots in a short amount of time and with 9 other teams doing the same. We could very easily end up with a bunch of rejects. Rejects with an all-new offense to teach.

Don't minimize what a grave setback this is to JP. It took him long enough to learn Mularkey's offense. Now he has to unlearn all that and learn a new one. I *did* say that this was a BAD year to lose a coach...there's too much competition and too few good candidates this year.

Which is why I'm pissed and mularkey for quitting. What a pu$$y to leave JP and his draft picks hanging like that. I thought he was tough. I thought he was the kind of guy who would NEVER give up. Donahoe just didn't get it right here, but I guarantee he'll get it right elsewhere.

Buffalo, where coaches and players come to sharpen their skills for use elsewhere.

marv has the selling job of his life ahead of him, and he has no experience in that role.

Just be prepared to have another high pick in the 2007 draft, folks. There's no way in hell that this team can right itself in one offseason. There's a gaping hole in the hull of this ship.

Part of being a great communicator is making sure that whatever you say isn't misconstrued by anyone hearing you. The fact that every media person who sat in that press conference, ran back to the press desk to report that Marv was still considering coaching was not a fabrication of delusional Buffalo media.

Marv screwed up, and hopefully there will be fewer moments like these.

BuffaloBills.com reports Buffalo Bills general manager Marv Levy confirmed Saturday, Jan. 14, that he will not be the team's new head coach. Levy said, "In order to clear up any misunderstanding from my comments at Friday's press conference regarding the position of head coach for the Buffalo Bills, I want to say unequivocally that I am here to serve as the General Manager/Football Operations. At the press conference announcing the resignation of Mike Mularkey we were prepared to talk about that issue only and therefore I was not prepared to talk about any coaching candidates at that time. I regret that I was not more specific in stating that I will not be serving in a coaching capacity. I am excited about my new responsibilities as General Manager and, as planned, will devote my full energies to that role."

Marv didn't mean to say he was going to be HC of the Bills.  It was a mountain made out of a mole hill.

567967[/snapback]

He also didn't say anything to make anyone think he didn't want the position.

His not willing to rule himself out clearly stated that he was considering himself as a viable option.

On any given day....someone will misconstrue something that somebody said.  :w00t:

567990[/snapback]

The voice of experience, or just the voice of reason? :doh:

I do think Marv harbored a secret desire to coach The Bills again.

To not confront that issue head on at the onset of his tenure was a mistake.

A "screw-up" is when he hires the wrong coach or signs the wrong free agent.  Not making clear he won't be coaching is NOT a screw-up.  So settle down.  :w00t:

PTR

567976[/snapback]

i do think it was a screw-up, but given how it has played out it won't be a crippling one. anyway, i'm glad wilson quickly slammed that little pandora's box shut.

I still think Marv was just misunderstood, but still...I don't like the way this whole thing appears. I have to admit, a sense of 'seller's remorse' has settled into me re: donahoe. Not because I think he did a great job - he merely did a good job. He hit on my guys that we're thrilled about, a few who we don't know enough about, and a handful of failures. But you always wonder if this would have been the year that it all came together. Like it seemed to in 2003. And then in 2004. And again in 2005.

567975[/snapback]

I hear what you're saying about Donahoe. But consider this: he had the chance to correct his first big mistake - Gregg Williams. He promised us that he'd fix his error by finding someone who would instill toughness and a power running game, since we had a great defense and a power runner. Who did he pick?

Mike Mularkey.

That's just inexcusable. I'm not going to purport to divine Donahoe's reasons for hiring Mularkey over Charlie Weiss and Lovie Smith. Maybe he's a control freak who wanted a yes-man. Maybe he wanted someone who wouldn't take all of the credit for success. Maybe he just thought he could get along with Mularkey. Who knows. The fact is, that was Donahoe's chance to fix everything and turn the franchise around, and he totally flopped. As we now know, Mularkey himself lacks toughness (as you point out), and he also failed to install a power running game. The Miami game was a perfect example of everything that was wrong with Mularkey - he had a big lead on the road, a perfect opportunity to throw in your power running offense to wear down the other team and seal a victory. What does he do? He treats the second half like a preseason scrimmage, throwing out all kinds of trick plays, wacky passes, etc. And they lose, partially because of Mularkey's playcalling and partially because of his attitude. Just like the rest of the season. Mularkey had to go, and Donahoe had to go with him.

Yeah it's called the Buffalo media being bored.

567971[/snapback]

Right because between the comings and goings at OBD and the Sabres' season, there's really nothing going on.

I'm not sure what Marv was thinking on Friday, but if he had come out and said, "Absolutely not" as Wilson did, the two never would've even had to put out press releases 24 hours later.