Levy's first 2 BIG mistakes

Big Mistake #1 - Marv says he hopes to retain several of the assistant coaches. Are you KIDDING me? If TD ever made a statement like that (before the head coach was in place), he'd be run out of town on a rail and labelled as arrogant and power hungry! So our GM, and not head coach, is picking the assistants? Boy, that will really make the Bills head coaching job attractive!

In reflecting on this a bit, I think Levy is NOT arrogant and power hungry, but his mistake is he was thinking/speaking like a coach and not as a GM. Deep down he wants to coach this team - and this has negative implications not only for the next coach of the Bills, but also for the quality of the job Marv will do as GM.

Which leads me to BIG mistake #2. Minutes after Ralph says Marv is "absolutely not" a candidate for head coach, Levy refuses to rule it out. Not only does this appear to be the height of arrogance to contradict the owner in public, but in saying this Marv has just cast a PERMANENT shadow over the next Bills HC as long as Marv stays as GM. Again, upon reflection, I don't believe Marv purposely upstaged his friend, he's too classy to do that. I think Marv just fancies himself as a coach, and couldn't bring himself to take himself out of the running.

Obviously Ralph's hiring of Marv as GM was a direct reaction to the isolation Ralph felt from the operation while TD was in charge. Ralph reached out to a trusted friend and rejected the conventional super-GM type that he hired in TD. But in doing so, Ralph rushed into offering Marv the job, not realizing Marv still held coaching aspirations. After seeing yesterday's press conference, I don't think that Marv has (yet) fully thought through the GM job, nor has he given up his desire to coach again. I fear this organization will be rudderless unless/until Marv can get his mind around the fact that he is not going to coach this team. And I also fear that will be a really big hurdle for Marv to get over - in fact, he may never get over it.

Big Mistake #1 - Marv says he hopes to retain several of the assistant coaches.  Are you KIDDING me?  If TD ever made a statement like that (before the head coach was in place), he'd be run out of town on a rail and labelled as arrogant and power hungry!  So our GM, and not head coach, is picking the assistants?  Boy, that will really make the Bills head coaching job attractive! 

In reflecting on this a bit, I think Levy is NOT arrogant and power hungry, but his mistake is he was thinking/speaking like a coach and not as a GM.  Deep down he wants to coach this team - and this has negative implications not only for the next coach of the Bills, but also for the quality of the job Marv will do as GM.

Which leads me to BIG mistake #2.  Minutes after Ralph says Marv is "absolutely not" a candidate for head coach, Levy refuses to rule it out.  Not only does this appear to be the height of arrogance to contradict the owner in public, but in saying this Marv has just cast a PERMANENT shadow over the next Bills HC as long as Marv stays as GM.  Again, upon reflection, I don't believe Marv purposely upstaged his friend, he's too classy to do that.  I think Marv just fancies himself as a coach, and couldn't bring himself to take himself out of the running. 

Obviously Ralph's hiring of Marv as GM was a direct reaction to the isolation Ralph felt from the operation while TD was in charge.  Ralph reached out to a trusted friend and rejected the conventional super-GM type that he hired in TD.  But in doing so, Ralph rushed into offering Marv the job, not realizing Marv still held coaching aspirations.  After seeing yesterday's press conference, I don't think that Marv has (yet) fully thought through the GM job, nor has he given up his desire to coach again.  I fear this organization will be rudderless unless/until Marv can get his mind around the fact that he is not going to coach this team.  And I also fear that will be a really big hurdle for Marv to get over - in fact, he may never get over it.

566555[/snapback]

are you telling me you wouldn't want to keep April? We had one of the best special teams in the business and why would any new coach want to mess with that? That would save him one smallish headache.

are you telling me you wouldn't want to keep April?  We had one of the best special teams in the business and why would any new coach want to mess with that?  That would save him one smallish headache.

566568[/snapback]

Ditto. Anyone replacing April as ST coach would be a downgrade. If a HC coming in here desires a downgrade in performance just to satisfy a whim of picking his very own ST person, then I don't want him as my HC.

And, this is assuming that April won't get the HC job. Which I'm really warming up to. He knows the rulebook (See him chewing out the ref on the onsides kick, and being proven right when the officials didn't know the rules of the game?). He works with almost everyone on the team and has their respect, b/c look what he turned our ST into --- best in the NFL.

yeah we have several good coaches who need to stay..............we don't need however the OC and DC... but some of the coaches did their jobs......just not the higher position guys

like people know.........Levy KNOWS how to pick assistants

OK ....... name the top five Special teams coaches in the NFL ....... name the top five O-line coaches in the NFL ......... name the top five QB coaches.

If Bobby April, Sam Wyche and "Mouse" are not on your lists, then IMHO you don't know coaches .......... now if the organization can find upgrades I just may agree with you ........ but if I were Marv (and I'm not) then I'd be trying to keep those guys on the staff if at all possible.

One of the problems with TD was that he did NOT scrutinize the assistants enough. He promoted Rusty Jones to attempt to keep him when Mularchy wanted to bring in his own coach. He allowed in several terrible OL coaches before mouse.

Just as head coaches want input into which players they get, GMs should have influence into what assistant coaches are brought in.

One of the problems with TD was that he did NOT scrutinize the assistants enough.  He promoted Rusty Jones to attempt to keep him when Mularchy wanted to bring in his own coach.  He allowed in several terrible OL coaches before mouse.

Just as head coaches want input into which players they get, GMs should have influence into what assistant coaches are brought in.

566669[/snapback]

the better qualified the HC, the better the assistants he can attract.

Bills should be seriously courting Kirk Ferentz.

OK ....... name the top five Special teams coaches in the NFL ....... name the top five O-line coaches in the NFL ......... name the top five QB coaches.

If Bobby April, Sam Wyche and "Mouse" are not on your lists, then IMHO you don't know coaches .......... now if the organization can find upgrades I just may agree with you ........ but if I were Marv (and I'm not) then I'd be trying to keep those guys on the staff if at all possible.

Exactly. These guys aren't, and SHOULDN'T, be going anywhere. And if they were on another team that made a HC'ing change's staff, they'd still be there as well. How this is an issue is beyond me. I agree on Marv not ruling himself out as HC, but Wilson did that and HE has ultimate authority.

Nowhere in my original post did I say that coaches like April and McNally shouldn't be retained. OIf course they should, and any decent incoming COACH will make that decision. The point is, that Levy the GM has NO BUSINESS, I repeat, NO BUSINESS, commenting on that topic.

Put it in perspective - how would ya'll react if TD made that statement? It's just not the GM's role to comment on that.

The NFL is snickering at us because Wilson stepped in and fired the media loveboy TD.  They'll continue to laugh till the bills are 7-1 or 6-2 by halloween next year.

566718[/snapback]

Should that be in concrete like all the playoff predictions for this past year?

Big Mistake #1 - Marv says he hopes to retain several of the assistant coaches.  Are you KIDDING me?  If TD ever made a statement like that (before the head coach was in place), he'd be run out of town on a rail and labelled as arrogant and power hungry!  So our GM, and not head coach, is picking the assistants?  Boy, that will really make the Bills head coaching job attractive! 

In reflecting on this a bit, I think Levy is NOT arrogant and power hungry, but his mistake is he was thinking/speaking like a coach and not as a GM.  Deep down he wants to coach this team - and this has negative implications not only for the next coach of the Bills, but also for the quality of the job Marv will do as GM.

Which leads me to BIG mistake #2.  Minutes after Ralph says Marv is "absolutely not" a candidate for head coach, Levy refuses to rule it out.  Not only does this appear to be the height of arrogance to contradict the owner in public, but in saying this Marv has just cast a PERMANENT shadow over the next Bills HC as long as Marv stays as GM.  Again, upon reflection, I don't believe Marv purposely upstaged his friend, he's too classy to do that.  I think Marv just fancies himself as a coach, and couldn't bring himself to take himself out of the running. 

Obviously Ralph's hiring of Marv as GM was a direct reaction to the isolation Ralph felt from the operation while TD was in charge.  Ralph reached out to a trusted friend and rejected the conventional super-GM type that he hired in TD.  But in doing so, Ralph rushed into offering Marv the job, not realizing Marv still held coaching aspirations.  After seeing yesterday's press conference, I don't think that Marv has (yet) fully thought through the GM job, nor has he given up his desire to coach again.  I fear this organization will be rudderless unless/until Marv can get his mind around the fact that he is not going to coach this team.  And I also fear that will be a really big hurdle for Marv to get over - in fact, he may never get over it.

566555[/snapback]

Settledown.Games are still going to be one and lost based on the action on the field,not what's said in press conferences

566555[/snapback]

Ya know what bothers me more than whether or not Marv has made some mistakes......people like you who already looking for them and counting them down.

From what I recall, the same thing happened the last time except maybe they used better words to describe it. The last time, certain coaches, like Gilbride were given permission immediately to look elsewhere. Others weren't giving permission to look around such as Rusty Jones. This year that already happened when they let the all the defensive coaches go. Maybe MM didn't cafe for Rusty as much as his buddy from Pitt and after a year Rusty was gone, but he kept his job for that year.

Im certain this year, if they pick a new coach and he tells Marv, I've worked with Bobby April before, and we just hate eachother, and no way do I want him on my staff, then Aprils gone. The difference is by that point in time it likely would be too late for April to hook up with another job, so likely Ralph will eat his salary for next year.

I think all it means is that the guys that are left Ralph and Marv feel they are highly thought of people, well respected and liked, and it would be surprising if who ever is picked, can't work with these guys and wouldn't want them on their staff. Sothey figure it's better to keep these guys around as it's not likely by the time a coach is in place, he'd find anyone better anyway.