Let's talk NFL Draft

I was sitting here thinking of different things about this draft.

1.) What if we had lost to Cincinnati and gotten that 3rd selection instead of Tennessee? It would be Buffalo that everyone would be talking about when it comes to Vince Young. How divided would this board be?

2.) With the New York Giants openly expressing their interest in Nate Clements, do we whore him off to them for their late (most likely 23) 1st rounder?

3.) With McGahee's lack of Marv's "character" and coming off a poor season, what would you guys think if we drafted a RB in the first day?

Say Laurence Maroney were to fall to Round 2 (with Bush, Williams, White, Maurice Drew, Brian Callhoun, and maybe Michael Bush coming out). Or if Ngata, Ferguson, Williams, and Hawk were all gone, but DeAngelo Williams and/or Lendale White was there while we still had another late 1st for Nate to grab Max-Jean Gilles along with a high 2nd and two (possibly 3) 3rd's.

I think this is a very real possibility. McGahee's contract will be up after 2007 and will most likely be gone after (or even before) that. I know people would think i'm crazy, but the thought of DeAngelo Williams or Lendale White in Bills colors excites me to no end! Although Maroney, Drew, Callhoun, or Bush in the 2nd/3rd is more feasible.

4.) With the uncertainty surrounding our QB's, if Omar Jacobs is around for our 2nd pick; do we take him? He's a guy who before this year where he was injury-plagued, was pegged as a high-1st pick. He's a guy that wil need some time and could be something REAL special. With him behind Losman and Holcomb, there wouldn't be much pressure on us to push Jacobs out. He could develop and sit in the wings if Losman isn't the guy.

5.) If Devin Hester is available in the 3rd (which many think he will), what would you guys think if the Bills took him? He's an explosive playmaker who is very raw. He's a CB who also play's WR and is a special teams ace with great speed. There will probably be a better CB available at that time to come in right now. But Hester is a project that has more upside than whomever will be available. With McGee and whomever replaces Clements (i'm crossing my fingers that we'll be able to steal restricted Ricky Manning Jr. away from Carolina), along with Greer, and Eric King; nothing more than 4th CB is needed from him right now.

And with all this being said, here's my mock for the Bills on Day 1 (including how I think the top 8 will go):

Houston - Reggie Bush

New Orleans - Matt Leinart

Tennessee - Vince Young

New York - D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Green Bay - Lendale White

Oakland - Haloti Ngata

San Francisco - A.J. Hawk

Buffalo - Mario Williams

1.) Mario Williams

1.) Max-Jean Gilles (from New York)

2.) Omar Jacobs

3.) Gabe Watson (from Tennessee)

3.) Maurice Drew

3.) Devin Hester (Comp. for Pat Williams)

And with all this being said, here's my mock for the Bills on Day 1 (including how I think the top 8 will go):

Houston - Reggie Bush

Tennessee - Vince Young

Oakland - Haloti Ngata

Buffalo - Mario Williams

562880[/snapback]

How do the Jets not take a RB? I am convinced that we need to get "Brick" in here - or, if not, get Ngata. I will go on record and say that I will be disappointed with any first round pick if it is not an OL. I may even be pissed if our second and third pick is not an OL (or DT).

How do the Jets not take a RB? I am convinced that we need to get "Brick" in here - or, if not, get Ngata. I will go on record and say that I will be disappointed with any first round pick if it is not an OL. I may even be pissed if our second and third pick is not an OL (or DT).

562883[/snapback]

Mario Williams is a DE, he may not be a tackle; but he's the best pass-rusher this year. Which is something we desperately need.

The Jets would love to have Reggie. But if they stay put, they'll try and move down. If (or when) they can't, they'll get the Brick and address RB in FA or in the 2nd.

In my mock, you'll notice that my 2nd 1st rounder is an OL (Gilles) and in the 3rd I have Gabe Watson (a DT), to go along with Williams (DE).

Is Hester really projected to still be available in the 3rd round? Miami was trying to intice hime to stay by giving him a much larger role in the offense next year. Has he declared his eligability?

I guess if the Bills adressed the lines earlier in the draft, I'd be okay with his selection as it seems like a guy MM would like to utilize in schemes.

When is the last time the Bills drafted a player from Miami when Marv was there. I dont remember one single player actually. There is a reason for that. Low character guys. Stay away from Hester.

I was thinking Jim Kelly but someone told me he was drafted a year before Marv came in.

People are gonna say I'm nuts for this, but I wouldn't be disappointed if we packaged our extra 3rd rounders to move up in the second round to take Calhoun from Wisconsin.

Just a thought.

562917[/snapback]

I don't know if i'd package the 3rd's, but I wouldn't have a problem with a 3rd and a 4th (or a 5th) to take Callhoun.

He's a GOOD back and would compliment McGahee well. Given some time to develop, he could be a stellar replacement.

I think he is a better all around back right now then Willis.

The kid is only the second back ever in the NCAA to put up over 1500 yards rushing and 500 receiving.

562932[/snapback]

This is a REAL deep RB class. We may be able to get him in the 2nd. I list it like this:

Reggie Bush

DeAngelo Williams

Lendale White

Laurence Maroney

Michael Bush (if he comes out, decision later today)

Brian Callhoun

Joseph Addai (sp?)

Maurice Drew

Is Hester really projected to still be available in the 3rd round? Miami was trying to intice hime to stay by giving him a much larger role in the offense next year. Has he declared his eligability? 

I guess if the Bills adressed the lines earlier in the draft, I'd be okay with his selection as it seems like a guy MM would like to utilize in schemes.

562901[/snapback]

There's various ideas as to when he'll go floating around. I've read a couple of them that have him going in the 2nd (one had him in the 1st).

But for the most part, he's projected as a 3rd-4th round pick. Especially with the flood gates opening up when it comes to Junior CB's. He's the top returner in the country and he's just starting to pick up steam everywhere else. Most people (including myself) think it was a mistake for him to come out.

He doesn't have any character concerns by the way. Not everybody from Miami is a Sean Taylor. And yes, he declared his eligibility weeks ago.

1.) What if we had lost to Cincinnati and gotten that 3rd selection instead of Tennessee? It would be Buffalo that everyone would be talking about when it comes to Vince Young. How divided would this board be?

2.) With the New York Giants openly expressing their interest in Nate Clements, do we whore him off to them for their late (most likely 23) 1st rounder?

3.) With McGahee's lack of Marv's "character" and coming off a poor season, what would you guys think if we drafted a RB in the first day?

Say Laurence Maroney were to fall to Round 2 (with Bush, Williams, White, Maurice Drew, Brian Callhoun, and maybe Michael Bush coming out). Or if Ngata, Ferguson, Williams, and Hawk were all gone, but DeAngelo Williams and/or Lendale White was there while we still had another late 1st for Nate to grab Max-Jean Gilles along with a high 2nd and two (possibly 3) 3rd's.

I think this is a very real possibility. McGahee's contract will be up after 2007 and will most likely be gone after (or even before) that. I know people would think i'm crazy, but the thought of DeAngelo Williams or Lendale White in Bills colors excites me to no end! Although Maroney, Drew, Callhoun, or Bush in the 2nd/3rd is more feasible.

4.) With the uncertainty surrounding our QB's, if Omar Jacobs is around for our 2nd pick; do we take him? He's a guy who before this year where he was injury-plagued, was pegged as a high-1st pick. He's a guy that wil need some time and could be something REAL special. With him behind Losman and Holcomb, there wouldn't be much pressure on us to push Jacobs out. He could develop and sit in the wings if Losman isn't the guy.

5.) If Devin Hester is available in the 3rd (which many think he will), what would you guys think if the Bills took him? He's an explosive playmaker who is very raw. He's a CB who also play's WR and is a special teams ace with great speed. There will probably be a better CB available at that time to come in right now. But Hester is a project that has more upside than whomever will be available. With McGee and whomever replaces Clements (i'm crossing my fingers that we'll be able to steal restricted Ricky Manning Jr. away from Carolina), along with Greer, and Eric King; nothing more than 4th CB is needed from him right now.

Houston - Reggie Bush

Tennessee - Vince Young

Oakland - Haloti Ngata

Buffalo - Mario Williams

1.) Mario Williams

2.) Omar Jacobs

3.) Maurice Drew

562880[/snapback]

I like that mock. Don't know if Watson will be around for a third round pick. If he is, I'd say take him! He's more of what we need: a 2 gap run stuffer. I keep seeing people say take Rodrique Wright or Claude Wroten. While they are very talented tackles, we need a run stuffer more than another athletic tackle that can rush from the inside. Watson is a better fit for that need than either Wroten or Wright. Jacobs is an intriguing pick. I'd think that Watson would be more of a priority than Jacobs in the 2nd, but if Jacobs were available w/ an early 3rd, why not? Devin Hester? NO WAY, especially for a third! The guy regressed horribly this year, and I'd steer clear of him.

When is the last time the Bills drafted a player from Miami when Marv was there. I dont remember one single player actually. There is a reason for that. Low character guys. Stay away from Hester.

I was thinking Jim Kelly but someone told me he was drafted a year before Marv came in.

562907[/snapback]

That is complete BS.

That's impressive for USC.... having 3 of the top 5 picks.  Has that ever happened before?  From one school?

562888[/snapback]

Umm, last year, Cadliiac Williams and Ronnie Brown went 2 and 5, and i believe courtney brown and lavar arrington went 2, 3 a few years back...

Houston - Reggie Bush

Tennessee - Vince Young

Oakland - Haloti Ngata

Buffalo - Mario Williams

1.) Mario Williams

2.) Omar Jacobs

3.) Maurice Drew

562880[/snapback]

That looks like a dream draft. If it played out the way you suggested, that would be awesome.

I like that mock.  Don't know if Watson will be around for a third round pick.  If he is, I'd say take him!  He's more of what we need:  a 2 gap run stuffer.  I keep seeing people say take Rodrique Wright or Claude Wroten.  While they are very talented tackles, we need a run stuffer more than another athletic tackle that can rush from the inside.  Watson is a better fit for that need than either Wroten or Wright.  Jacobs is an intriguing pick.  I'd think that Watson would be more of a priority than Jacobs in the 2nd, but if Jacobs were available w/ an early 3rd, why not?  Devin Hester?  NO WAY, especially for a third!  The guy regressed horribly this year, and I'd steer clear of him.

562961[/snapback]

I have a sinking feeling that Gabe will be there in the 3rd. He's expected to go after Ngata, Bunkley, Wroten, Wright, and mabe even Mahelona.

He regressed a little this year, but you're right; he's the type of DT we need. With the exception of Ngata (whom I think is overrated), he's the only DT I see fitting the mold.

On a side note, I think Marv will keep Sam and hunt Grady Jackson. It may not be a complete neccessity to pick a DT in the 1st (or 2nd for that matter) like everyone thinks. But we will take one on the first day.

Omar Jacobs will be taken in the 2nd, maybe even the 1st if his combine is good enough. If he's available in the 3rd, he won't be by our first 3rd (from Tennessee). I think if he's there, we should take him.

As for Hester, maybe you're right. He did regress. But I just think he's a playmaker ala Terrence McGee that could really develop into something nicely.