Our offense needs to be like Pitt

GG

They pulled off a pretty spiffy trick play this past Sunday. And were far from "smash-mouth" until they has a substantial lead... :devil:

561913[/snapback]

That was a spiffy trick play. It only worked because the run game was working so well. Bettis was just pounding the ball the previous 5 run plays.

That was a spiffy trick play. It only worked because the run game was working so well. Bettis was just pounding the ball the previous 5 run plays.

561924[/snapback]

The play worked only because they executed it well. They ran at least three other trick plays, too. One of them worked, the reverse, because they blocked. One of them failed miserably because Bettis dropped the handoff, couldnt control the ball and then threw a bad pass. The fourth flopped because there happened to be a defender right in Randel-El's face as soon as he got the ball, which was because someone missed an assignment, or more likely, the Bengals just happened by luck to be in a defense that the trick plays blocking scheme didn't account for. That is usually why trick plays don't work. Because the team employing them cannot execute the play right, or the team defending just happens to be in a good defense to disrupt or defend it, and not in the defensive formation the offense was counting on.

Surely, HB option passes work best when you can run and block, and the team is expecting you to run, but most of them would work for anyone if you could just get the RB to run the fake correctly, sell the run and throw the ball close to the WR who has sold his block fake and ran the right pattern for how well the RB can throw.

561924[/snapback]

I give them - Pitt - all the credit in the world for keeping up the run game. The trick play came in the 2nd, and CB Tory James, in a fit of idiocy, bolted away from his coverage in some weird hope of running back 15 yards and nailing Rothliesburger. 6 points. I would have benched James just because... :D:devil:

CIN certainly deserved a big goose egg for abandoning the run on offense in the 2nd half and deciding that pass protection was job #1 on defense. They ran Rudi Johnson 4 times in the 2nd half (!).

Marvin Lewis & Co. deserve a big fat "F" for the last 30 minutes. PGH's running results in the 1st half was slightly less than stellar, yet the B'gals lifted the hammer up after the cheerleaders danced during halftime.

Why team after team decides to imbalance themselves at some point, I'll never know.

There ain't many Vince Lombardi's out there these days... :D

One thing you can say about that throwbacklateralbombforsix they pulled off against Cincy: the moment that touchdown was recorded, the cameras scanned the Bengals sidelines and their faces said it all.

Game over.

I love trick plays like anyone else, but it's not enough to be able to execute it. You have to have the right timing as well. You must be thinking what your opponent is thinking at the moment they start to think it. Half the city of Cincinnati was converging on Randel-El on that play. That's what made it so great.

With absolutely zero trickery.  Trick plays are for the birds, and that's why Steelers offensive assistants are hot commodities for HC jobs.

561901[/snapback]

Yessir. I've read tons of "yeah but they establish the run first" posts, but those points make no sense. If McGahee ripped of 40 years on 4 carries and the Bills failed to execute a trick play properly, would people criticize the playcall less than normal because "well, at least we had established the run"? Me think not. In fact, trick plays should primarily be used as a bail-out when your bread & butter ISN'T working IMO. See the Dallas-KC game where a flea-flicker turned the game around as the Cowboys were trailing 14-3 and doing squat offensively.

...their faces said it all.

Game over.

561979[/snapback]

Mongol General: "What is best in life?"

Conan: "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

(Note that this is actually a quote from Ghengis Khan) :devil:

Mongol General: "What is best in life?"

Conan: "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

(Note that this is actually a quote from Ghengis Khan)  :devil:

561983[/snapback]

I had no idea Ghengis Khan was in "Conan The Barbarian."

With absolutely zero trickery.  Trick plays are for the birds, and that's why Steelers offensive assistants are hot commodities for HC jobs.

561901[/snapback]

Are you kidding? Even the NFL analysts on Sunday mentioned that Cowher uses at least 3 trick "gimmick" plays every week. They applauded his use of trick plays since you need to be creative to score quickly. I'd like the Bills to be smashmouth too but you're kidding yourself if you think the BIlls can just put together 10 or 12 play methodical drives without making some mistakes along the way to kill the drive. We don't convert 3rd downs well at all. The good teams are able to hit some quick scores like Pitt did with that trick play.

Another thing we dont have is a huge battering ram of a rb like the bus. instead we have side stepping mcgahee who claims to be the best back. granted, he is a good one, and our line needs improvement. but even with an improved line, in order to have the rushing attack that pitt has, a bettis like back would be very helpful, maybe even a fullback like alstott would help. ahh well, lets hope and wait for this offseason.

Pittsburgh has a great line. That's where it all starts. You get that and you're in business.

562530[/snapback]

A great line and really a pretty special crop of backs, and this is with Staley suffering some injury or another on a regular basis. Parker's turning out to be a decent find (was he the "4th string back" who ripped us up last year?) and Bettis, that guy is just a bruiser.

I'd really like to see us use Gates and McGahee relentlessly. And pass to McGahee more. I'm no coach but I can probably get most of you to agree that would be kickass. [/13 year-old me]

Shaud Williams is too much finesse, not enough muscle for regular work. He definitely can make some things happen out there in good situations, but he should not be the guy spelling McGahee on 3rd down.