Awesome article on Tom Brady and the Pats

stevestojan

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I read your post title, I thought "why the %$&! would I want to read anything about THEM?!?"

But you're right - that was an instant classic. Thanks for posting it.

There is only one thing wrong with that article...silly writer, we all know TRUE Patriots History didnt begin until 2001, when they won their first Superbowl. The years of losing and hilariously inept football did not happen...there is nothing but Brady. 2+2=Brady, unless Big Belichick says otherwise.

When I read your post title, I thought "why the %$&! would I want to read anything about THEM?!?"

But you're right - that was an instant classic. Thanks for posting it.

560515[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly!

I was ready to give stojan some serious stojan! But now I have say thank you steve!

The article doesn't mention that most Pats fans today were all Giants fans up until 1993.

560744[/snapback]

Another falsehood that is repeated incessantly by other teams fans (jokingly or otherwise) but is patently not true. Hardly anybody born in the the 1960's or later in New England was raised a Giants fan, and there were practically none left here even in the 1970's. Even when I was a kid, you had to be over 50 to even potentially be a Giants fan. The bottom line is that NE fans aren't interested in attending games if the product is lousy. I don't blame them. They'll still watch on TV, but everybody does. It's also true that every championship team gets bandwagon fans, no matter where they are.

Just because Boston is obsessed with the Red Sox doesn't mean you can't walk and chew gum and be interested in both teams. A city without football fans wouldn't have obsessed and complained for 25 years about being jobbed in a 1976 playoff game against the Raiders, or have gone absolutely bananas about the '85 playoff run.

Let's not overstate it, shall we? Even if it's tongue-in-cheek. A four-sport town has a historical dynamic that Buffalo fans don't have to deal with.

Catch the ones at the bottom?

9. In all seriousness, I don't actually think Tom Brady believes the Patriots aren't respected. He's not stupid. But he uses the "no respect" line all the time because it still -- somehow -- fires up his teammates. Which makes me wonder -- if the Patriots actually believe they aren't respected by the media, they might be the dumbest collection of human beings known to man. Good football players, yes. But quite lacking in the intelligence and awareness department. That said, I might even root for them to win another ring because I know how important shiny, sparkly things are to those with lower IQs.

New England at Denver

Before kickoff, Tom Brady accuses God of disrespecting the Patriots by not adequately oxygenating the thin Denver air to the level New England has grown accustomed to. When the final gun sounds, the poor Patriots are disrespected yet again. By the scoreboard. Broncos 30, Patriots 20. (That's right, I'm sticking with the Patriots/disrespect stuff. Hey, it's no more lame than Tom Brady doing it.)

This guy is as fun to read as TMQ used to be when I first started reading him.

What's amazing about the base story though is that what the first half of the 2005 season proved was that when given an average defense (the kind most QBs around the league have to play with every Sunday) Brady and company were nothing better than a .500 football team.

And this goes far in supporting what some have contended all along- that the Pats winning streak has been based upon great defense and the toe of their kicker. As the media and fans are wont to do, adulation of the quarterback position remains the popular trend while the reality of the outcome on the field proves the fallaciousness of that logic.

But don't hesitate to cry for Tom- he is, after all, the "emotional" type!

What's amazing about the base story though is that what the first half of the 2005 season proved was that when given an average defense, Brady and company were nothing better than a .500 football team.

Go check the stat splits again. The Patriot defense in the first half of this season was well below average.

It was average in the same way that Marc Bulger threw more 41+ yard passes than Donovan McNabb in 2004. Both assertions are fabrications.

Another falsehood that is repeated incessantly by other teams fans (jokingly or otherwise) but is patently not true. Hardly anybody born in the the 1960's or later in New England was raised a Giants fan, and there were practically none left here even in the 1970's.

560861[/snapback]

Since just about everybody born in the '60s or later in New England wasn't a Patriots fan until 2001, and since a good quarter of the Giants' fan base defected to the Patriots along with Parcells, I don't really see why this is a falsehood.