Ted Cottrell

I just read on Kffl that new Minnesota coach Brad Childress is going to be interviewing candidates for the position of defensive coordinator. Does this mean that Ted C has been fired? If so, I would take him in a minute. Thoughts?

557407[/snapback]

I like...

I don't think Ted has enjoyed much success on his own since leaving the wing of Wade Phillips in Buffalo. He was canned in NJ for his work with the Jets, and Minnesota's D has been nothing to crow about for the past two seasons. If we're going to go the retread route, Capers is a much better option, IMO.

I don't think Ted has enjoyed much success on his own since leaving the wing of Wade Phillips in Buffalo.  He was canned in NJ for his work with the Jets, and Minnesota's D has been nothing to crow about for the past two seasons.  If we're going to go the retread route, Capers is a much better option, IMO.

557416[/snapback]

Agreed - the Jets defense got better after he left with basically the same players. Vikings D has underachieved, though they did start to play better towards the end.

I don't think Ted has enjoyed much success on his own since leaving the wing of Wade Phillips in Buffalo.  He was canned in NJ for his work with the Jets, and Minnesota's D has been nothing to crow about for the past two seasons.  If we're going to go the retread route, Capers is a much better option, IMO.

557416[/snapback]

You may be right. I think there are a couple of reasons that Ted failed in in NY. I think it was a case of Herm Edwards trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Ted was more of a 3-4 guy. Most of his time in Buffalo both as a lb coach and then a coordinator we ran the 3-4. There were times when Wade went 4-3 but generally we played a base 3-4. In NY, Herm played an aggressive 4-3 that he brought with him from Tampa Bay. It never seemed that Ted was comfortable coaching this. In addition to the scheme the Jets had an aging defense with Mo Lewis at one lb and an injury plagued Sam Cowart in the middle. To add to this mess nt Jason Ferguson got hurt early in the season and as always John Abraham missed time

I think that Ted was fired by Herm as a sort of scapegoat. If you notice, Herm also fired Paul Hackett last year. The failures of the Jets are never the fault of Herm.

In Minnesota his defense did underachieve last year but they seemed to be improving as this season went on. I'm surprised anything positive happened in Minn this year after the " CRUISE".

I guess the bottom line for me is if I'm going to hire a retread I'd rather have a former Buffalo Bill than another Steeler reject.

I guess the bottom line for me is if I'm going to hire a retread I'd rather have a former Buffalo Bill than another Steeler reject.

557570[/snapback]

Fair enough. I just remember not being very enthused about Ted even when he was here. I recall him receiving an obligatory interview for the HC job and thinking, "I hope not." I suppose the problem is that I've viewed his success in Buffalo as more the result of Wade's influence than anything Ted brought to the table on his own.

Capers, meanwhile, has enjoyed much success as a DC on his own, and before arriving in Houston was even successful as a HC in Carolina. His hiring would give the Bills some options if MM doesn't pan out.

you have got to be kidding right? he is the WORSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT def. coor. in the business. he plays wade phillip's cover 2 soft zone bend but dont break. that was great 15 yrs ago when qb could not run, and rbs could not gain 2,500 total yards. that def. sucks now. tampa plays a cover 2, but with no soft zones coverages. teddy was fired in NY and now Minn and in buffalo. he absolutly sucks....

557416[/snapback]

Agreed. It seems there will be many more options available. Haslett was a pretty good D-coordinator, and more will be fired.

Agreed. It seems there will be many more options available. Haslett was a pretty good D-coordinator, and more will be fired.

557614[/snapback]

There is probably little to no chance but I would take Donnie Henderson any day of the week. With Edwards leaving the jests, he could be out of NJ, but I expect him to be a head coach, and a good one.

He would be a literal steal.

Fair enough.  I just remember not being very enthused about Ted even when he was here.  I recall him receiving an obligatory interview for the HC job and thinking, "I hope not."  I suppose the problem is that I've viewed his success in Buffalo as more the result of Wade's influence than anything Ted brought to the table on his own.

Capers, meanwhile, has enjoyed much success as a DC on his own, and before arriving in Houston was even successful as a HC in Carolina.  His hiring would give the Bills some options if MM doesn't pan out.

557606[/snapback]

I am not totally against Capers coming to Buffalo, I just don't think it is possible. I think that Tim Lewis is going to get a Head coaching job and that the Giants will then hire Capers to fill that role. I know that Tom Coughlin has been successful with Capers as his D- Coord while in Jacksonville and would surely hire him again.

There is probably little to no chance but I would take Donnie Henderson any day of the week.  With Edwards leaving the jests, he could be out of NJ, but I expect him to be a head coach, and a good one.

He would be a literal steal.

557617[/snapback]

I agree 100% that he would be the best possible hire for the Bills. I , like you live in the NY area so I suppose you see a lot of Jet games. I love the energy and attitude that Donnie Henderson brings to the table. I hate that he coaches the Jets but I believe he is gonna be a star coach at some point. The players play for that dude.

I heard today that he and Terry Bradway have personality issues so he may not be back with the Jets now that Herm is in KC. I suppose that means he will follow Herm to KC.

No fuggin way.

Players love him but he's a lousy strategist...he even had Winfield saying so by midseason.

It won't happen.

It better not happen.

Ted will follow Wade somewhere.

You can't just go from a 43/46 to a 34 and expect to improve. You need all new personnel, and it generally takes 3 years. That's not the kind of plan that Marv is gonna have.

What about Dave McGinnis, the former Arizona HC. He´s currently with the Titans (LB coach)

I really liked the guy when he was in Arizona´s sidelines, though he failed badly there (who didn´t?).

Is the guy any good as DC?

Agreed - the Jets defense got better after he left with basically the same players.  Vikings D has underachieved, though they did start to play better towards the end.

557433[/snapback]

Sorry that's not correct. They changed quite a bit on defensive personel after Cottrel. Herm wanted Ted to run a Tampa cover2 defense with players who weren't right for that system.

Exactly....We don't have to bring back everyone. :D

557422[/snapback]

I dont know why, but I started laughing hysterically when I read this.