Marv as a teacher for MM

besides fixing the lines and other personnel upgrades that is what Marv needs to do and i believe will do.

MM really got screwed up over the course of this year and regressed- perhaps being micromanaged contributed to this. :lol:

Marv needs to teach MM on how to be a head coach and then not get in the way.

hopefully Marv brings some guidance as an ex coach that did pretty well during his time here and can help MM in these areas that he was lacking in this year:

-setting a team strategy and sticking to it

-smash mouth vs. west coast vs. etc. offense

-bend don't break vs. attack vs. etc. defense

-assembling a capable coaching staff of teachers and coordinators who can game plan and adjust

-teaching/coordinating your assistants and then letting them coach

-managing in game situations: challenges, time outs, go for it vs. punt etc.

-player relations and commanding respect:buddy vs. hard ass- choose one-can't be both

Marv turning MM into half the Head Coach Marv was takes us from 5-11 to 8-8.

that + a fixed o line and d line & a learning and playing JP gives us 11-5

hopefully this can all happen next year but i think it goes like this:

2006: 8-8

2007: 11-5 playoffs

2008: 13-3 win super bowl JP is MVP

that or the team goes 5-11 the next 3 years, Ralph passes away and the team is sold and moved to L.A. :D:P

i have a feeling that marv will coach is malarky stinks up the place early. if we start 1-3, 1-4, larv will take over. marv is the security blanket for wilson if MM sucks.

marv has NO gm ability, so his role as VP is clearly coahing related. MM get the chance, then marv will take over. you heard it here first...

i have a feeling that marv will coach is malarky stinks up the place early.  if we start 1-3, 1-4, larv will take over.  marv is the security blanket for wilson if MM sucks. 

marv has NO gm ability, so his role as VP is clearly coahing related.  MM get the chance, then marv will take over.  you heard it here first...

557038[/snapback]

i thought of that also:

opening day Bills 1st drive 3rd and goal from the 4

MM calls the flat pass to shelton from holcomb- 3 yards loss

Marv calmly gets on the elevator, walks onto the field, taps MM on the shoulder and asks MM for the headphones, gives him the 'you're out' sign with his thumb and takes over coaching the rest of the season

experiment over

besides fixing the lines and other personnel upgrades that is what Marv needs to do and i believe will do.

MM really got screwed up over the course of this year and regressed- perhaps being micromanaged contributed to this. :lol:

Marv needs to teach MM on how to be a head coach and then not get in the way.

hopefully Marv brings some guidance as an ex coach that did pretty well during his time here and can help MM in these areas that he was lacking in this year:

-setting a team strategy and sticking to it

-smash mouth vs. west coast vs. etc. offense

-bend don't break vs. attack vs. etc. defense

-assembling a capable coaching staff of teachers and coordinators who can game plan and adjust

-teaching/coordinating your assistants and then letting them coach

-managing in game situations: challenges, time outs, go for it vs. punt etc.

-player relations and commanding respect:buddy vs. hard ass- choose one-can't  be both

Marv turning MM into half the Head Coach Marv was takes us from 5-11 to 8-8.

that + a fixed o line and d line & a learning and playing JP gives us 11-5

hopefully this can all happen next year but i think it goes like this:

2006: 8-8

2007: 11-5 playoffs

2008: 13-3 win super bowl JP is MVP

that or the team goes 5-11 the next 3 years, Ralph passes away and the team is sold and moved to L.A. :D  :P

557023[/snapback]

First off...I don't believe MM was micromanaged and I think there are SO many folks around here getting the entire TD thing WAY wrong...I don't know if it's just that people HAVE to believe some diabolical conspiracy theory or what...I can't figure it out...Anyway, I believe it was EXACTLY what Ralph said it was...That TD was a tireless worker who was a good man but his efforts for several reasons did not result in winning Football...And at the end of the day the Wins and Losses are all that matters...

Mularkey was not micromanaged, he is just not a natural Leader of Men...And dispite what many want to believe it is simply not someting you can teach or learn easily...Do I think Marv can help in this matter?...Yes I do...Do I think Mularkey can become a great Leader by osmosis?...To be honest I kinda doubt it...

I think it's pretty sad that we have a HC, who will be going into his 3rd Season as a HC, and we are hoping he can be taught how to be a better HC...Think about that for a second...I'm not going to question Marv's judgement on MM, I'm just going to say despite the fact that it is impossible to listen to Levy for 2 seconds and not like the guy, he has not always been right in the past...And a GM can only be a GM... When it comes to the Team on the Field, it's the HC who has the most influence, and I still don't think MM has what it takes...

And I also don't think for a second that Marv will be back on the sidelines...He backed MM, he will stick by that for at least the whole Season...that's just the kinda Man Levy is...

I think Marv is loyal to a fault at times, and now I am worried that if in fact we go through another bumbling Season with Mularkey that Marv will struggle to pull the trigger on getting rid of him...I don't for a second see Mularkey being able to hold his own against Belichick, and I'm worried about how he'll do vs. that Head Fish down in Miami too...So where exactly will that leave the Bills in the AFC East?

We as Bills Fans have no choice now but to be optimistic concerning MM and how Marv will influence him...And I hope to God I'm wrong about Mularkey for all our sake... Go Bills! :D

To be honest I'm not that worried about coaching, as long as Jerry Gray gets replaced. I envision Sam Wyche being the offensive coordinator, some fired head coach being the defensive coordinator. I also envision Marv selecting self-motivated players who will give everything they have whether they have a rah-rah coach or not.

I dont think Marv will be a teacher to MM. But a mentor and sounding board if MM seeks it out. I think Marv's main roll is to set the priorties for drafts and too monitor the locker room atmosphere to see if MM is effective and has lost the team. If MM has lost the team or is in-effective Marv will pull the plug and hire a more effective HC.

Mularkey was not micromanaged, he is just not a natural Leader of Men...And dispite what many want to believe it is simply not someting you can teach or learn easily...Do I think Marv can help in this matter?...Yes I do...Do I think Mularkey can become a great Leader by osmosis?...To be honest I kinda doubt it...

557088[/snapback]

Are you just assuming Mularkey was not "micromanged?" I know people here hate the "I know someone who knows someone" type insider info, but I really do know someone who knows someone...Mularkey may not have been "micromanaged" but a lot of the decisions he is being blamed for by some (many?) were not always his...TD was not a "hands off" GM by any stretch...his genious was in managing money, not people. Lets' just say that One Bills Drive is a much happier place today...whether that means more wins than losses reamains to be seen...

i have a feeling that marv will coach is malarky stinks up the place early.  if we start 1-3, 1-4, larv will take over.  marv is the security blanket for wilson if MM sucks. 

marv has NO gm ability, so his role as VP is clearly coahing related.  MM get the chance, then marv will take over.  you heard it here first...

557038[/snapback]

Well, then at least we know it won't happen!

:w00t::w00t:<_<

I don't think Marv will ever become the coach simply due to the physical rigors of the job. I don't care what kind of (relative) shape you are in - there are certain limits to what an 80 year old person can do physically - and I just don't see him being able to handle the rigors of being a head coach in the NFL 24-7. A GM is rigorous sure, bu I consider that more of an "office-job" and not as physically demanding as being a head coach.

I also don't think Wyche ever become OC for the same reson. The guy eventually will be on a heart transplant recipient list for God's sake...

Are you just assuming Mularkey was not "micromanged?"  I know people here hate the "I know someone who knows someone" type insider info, but I really do know someone who knows someone...Mularkey may not have been "micromanaged" but a lot of the decisions he is being blamed for by some (many?) were not always his...TD was not a "hands off" GM by any stretch...his genious was in managing money, not people.  Lets' just say that One Bills Drive is a much happier place today...whether that means more wins than losses reamains to be seen...

557377[/snapback]

OK point taken...

Let me re-phrase the comment then...I don't think any form of micromanangement could have effected what I believe are MM's shortcomings...Leadership, Game Management, in game adjustments, and the ability to get his Players to buy into his philosophy...While I understand that TD was Hands on, I don't consider it "micromanagement" in that he was not calling the plays, making the Halftime adjustments, and keeping the Locker Room focused on the vision...While TD may have made things a bit tougher on MM, it's nothing a good HC cannot overcome...Cowher did...And it's clear to me MM is no Cowher...At this point I'm really wondering if MM is any better than GW was to be honest, in that I don't think either was ready for their 1st stint as HC...

We'll see this coming year...Like I've said before I really hope I'm wrong about Mularkey...I just think a complete fresh start was the smart move here...Maybe Marv is right...Or maybe Ralph brought Marv in because he knew Levy would keep Mularkey, and in turn save RW from eating that $3 million?... Who knows? :w00t:

OK point taken...

Let me re-phrase the comment then...I don't think any form of micromanangement could have effected what I believe are MM's shortcomings...Leadership, Game Management, in game adjustments, and the ability to get his Players to buy into his philosophy...While I understand that TD was Hands on, I don't consider it "micromanagement" in that he was not calling the plays, making the Halftime adjustments, and keeping the Locker Room focused on the vision...While TD may have made things a bit tougher on MM, it's nothing a good HC cannot overcome...Cowher did...And it's clear to me MM is no Cowher...At this point I'm really wondering if MM is any better than GW was to be honest, in that I don't think either was ready for their 1st stint as HC...

557480[/snapback]

Don't be so sure....one of the biggest sources of friction between TD and Mularkey's staff, was TD's insistence on sitting in the coaches box, rather than his own box, during games. He did, it sounds like, if not call plays, influence the play calling. Mularkey may have taken Clements play calling duties away from him, because he was having trouble with TD meddling, during games.

Maybe not micromanaged, but I find it more than a coincidence that many people commented how MM began to sound like GW. I think that's due to TD pullling their string on what to say and not say to press, fans, and players. TD seemed to live the 21 century management style very well which tend to be alot of smoke and mirrors. If MM didn't do as TD told him, he got taken out to the woodshed for a talking to. After awhile MM finally got it! I think that will make MM a better coach escaping from under that tstyle of managing.

MM was 9 and 7 the year prior. If he's so bad, how do you explain that? It wasn't just due to an easier schedule. I belive anyone can look like a great coach when they have good players. Will Marv get him the good players, don't know, but it can't get much worse. While agree too that TD was a tireless worker, etc, but he wasn't a very good scout. Or at the least was to infatuated with the skill positions.

I can'r say for certain that MM will become a great coach, but considering what he was given last year, a 1st year starting QB, an offensive line with two new starters, and a third for over half the year when MW got hurt, a defense that got old in a hurry, I can't say that MM is the problem. You just don't know. And changing course every 2 or 3 years due to impatience gets you know where.

First off...I don't believe MM was micromanaged and I think there are SO many folks around here getting the entire TD thing WAY wrong...I don't know if it's just that people HAVE to believe some diabolical conspiracy theory or what...I can't figure it out...Anyway, I believe it was EXACTLY what Ralph said it was...That TD was a tireless worker who was a good man but his efforts for several reasons did not result in winning Football...And at the end of the day the Wins and Losses are all that matters...

557088[/snapback]

Maybe not micromanaged, but I find it more than a coincidence that many people commented how MM began to sound like GW.  I think that's due to TD pullling their string on what to say and not say to press, fans, and players.  TD seemed to live the 21 century management style very well which tend to be alot of smoke and mirrors.  If MM didn't do as TD told him, he got taken out to the woodshed for a talking to.  After awhile MM finally got it!  I think that will make MM a better coach escaping from under that tstyle of managing. 

MM was 9 and 7 the year prior.  If he's so bad, how do you explain that?  It wasn't just due to an easier schedule.  I belive anyone can look like a great coach when they have good players.  Will Marv get him the good players, don't know, but it can't get much worse.  While agree too that TD was a tireless worker, etc, but he wasn't a very good scout.  Or at the least was to infatuated with the skill positions.

I can'r say for certain that MM will become a great coach, but considering what he was given last year, a 1st year starting QB, an offensive line with two new starters, and a third for over half the year when MW got hurt, a defense that got old in a hurry, I can't say that MM is the problem.  You just don't know.  And changing course every 2 or 3 years due to impatience gets you know where.

557658[/snapback]

I think the most puzzling aspect of the Bills return to the celler this year, was the total collapse of the defense. I was one of the handful here that always thought losing Pat Williams was going to be a big blow to the defense, but I never thought it would be that bad.

I am hoping that Jerry Gray is history in Buffalo. I am sure he is a great guy, but I just have never been impressed with his coordination of the defense. In 2003 they were ranked #2. Player after player seemed to talk about Dick LaBeau as if he was the DC that year, giving him all the credit for their success. The following season, LeBeau gone, they seemed to play with a swagger we hadn't seen in Buffalo in years, albeit against the dregs of the NFL...this year, I think the LeBeau factor just wore off, and Gray was back to his so-so self...losing players to FA, and inury certainly didn't help, but the defense looked poorly coached, and like they had no clue as to what was coming at them, most of the year, IMO.

In the end, gutting the defensive staff (if they were not going to can Mularkey) seems like a good move to me. That, coupled with TD being eslewhere, gives me a slightly better feeling about Mularkey returning. I am not 100% sold on Marv as GM, but I will take a "wait and see" approach on that...

One thing we can be thankful for TD for, Buffalo Bills off-seasons have been more interesting than the regular season the past 5 years...this one will be no different. We can call it the "Donohoe effect"!