I don't know, and neither do you

I am not sure, however, how a GM out of the league for eight years and never handling this job is going to decide on whether or not to sign Chris DeMulling or Marco Rivera or Bennie Anderson or Floyd Womack if he doesn't want to deal with the salary cap, with an 87 year old lovable madman wanting to watch tape on the guys, with no real pro personell guy yet, and with the smartest and most in tune guy in the front office living in Florida and out on the road and not wanting to spend much time in Buffalo, let alone in the office.

557154[/snapback]

You see tomeyto, I see tomahto.

I honestly don't see a big issue in this, and I think that you're overstating capology a bit.

Here's my take on how it used to work in last 5 years, and how it will likely work next year.

Before - Scouts compile reports on college & pro players. They are organized on a chart for Modrak & Guy. Modrak & Guy rank the players. Overdorf presents the existing salary cap spreadsheet. There is a depth chart hanging on the wall, which Mularkey marks up with black or red markers indicating performance.

After - Scouts compile reports on college & pro players. They are organized on a chart for Modrak & ___. Modrak & ___ rank the players. Overdorf presents the existing salary cap spreadsheet. There is a depth chart hanging on the wall, which Mularkey marks up with black or red markers indicating performance.

The major difference between before & after (other than filling in the blank) is that I firmly believe that TD made himself the locus point of all the lines of command, and did not allow for collaborative input among college/pro scouts and the coaches to help build and develop the roster. This set him up for greatness or failure.

The way the organization used to run, and the way it will return to, is that there is much more input into the player evaluation process from everyone in that chain, so there is very little discrepancy in targeting a "needed" player.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He just made some mistakes on the...heart or the intangibles on the players.

557269[/snapback]

Well, at least we agree on something! :w00t:

The FA signings are a bit different, since these guys were already established players, IMO. I doubt TD would have been scouting at John Carol for a player like LF.

And the players you cited were all taken in rounds 1-3 with the exception of McGee. That's not "hidden gem" country....

I have been meaning to start my own thread with a similar title, but I think this title sums up what I'm thinking.  Nobody knows what is going to happen in sports.  It is a crap shoot.  Everybody on this board (including myself) has absolutely no credibility.  Why do we not have credibility?  Because we spend way too much time arguing ON AN INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD. 

If your post count per day is in the double digits then you really have lost your credibility.  I don't care how smart you think you are, your intelligence is only relative to the rest of us bozos who FREQUENT AN INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD.  You're not discussing quantum physics, you're talking about football. 

Do you think real men that matter actually would waste this much time on the internet?  Do you think Marv comes to the Stadium Wall everyday to see what everyone thinks about his new haircut?  He has better things to do!  I hear all these terms around here like "retard rollercoaster" and "drinking the Kool-Aid" that have such condescending connotations.  Whoever coined these terms would never classify themselves as a member of the "retard rollercoaster", but without you there would be no rollercoaster.  Everybody who posts on this forum is an idiot, EVEN ME!  Every second I spend on Two Bills Drive is a second I know I should have spent doing something else, something more productive.  We all are addicts.  We're addicted to the Bills, to football, and to arguing about absolutely pointless topics. 

Marv is 80, so what?  How can you say that he's not going to do a good job.  You have no idea.  You won't know until this time next year.  So lighten up, enjoy the euphoria of the hiring of a Hall of Famer, and PASS THE DAMN KOOL-AID!!!!!!!!!!!

GO BILLS.

557297[/snapback]

:w00t::w00t:

Very good post. And oh, so true!

I have been meaning to start my own thread with a similar title, but I think this title sums up what I'm thinking.  Nobody knows what is going to happen in sports.  It is a crap shoot.  Everybody on this board (including myself) has absolutely no credibility.  Why do we not have credibility?  Because we spend way too much time arguing ON AN INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD. 

If your post count per day is in the double digits then you really have lost your credibility.  I don't care how smart you think you are, your intelligence is only relative to the rest of us bozos who FREQUENT AN INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD.  You're not discussing quantum physics, you're talking about football. 

Do you think real men that matter actually would waste this much time on the internet?  Do you think Marv comes to the Stadium Wall everyday to see what everyone thinks about his new haircut?  He has better things to do!  I hear all these terms around here like "retard rollercoaster" and "drinking the Kool-Aid" that have such condescending connotations.  Whoever coined these terms would never classify themselves as a member of the "retard rollercoaster", but without you there would be no rollercoaster.  Everybody who posts on this forum is an idiot, EVEN ME!  Every second I spend on Two Bills Drive is a second I know I should have spent doing something else, something more productive.  We all are addicts.  We're addicted to the Bills, to football, and to arguing about absolutely pointless topics. 

Marv is 80, so what?  How can you say that he's not going to do a good job.  You have no idea.  You won't know until this time next year.  So lighten up, enjoy the euphoria of the hiring of a Hall of Famer, and PASS THE DAMN KOOL-AID!!!!!!!!!!!

GO BILLS.

557297[/snapback]

great post!

Oh my God!  Donahoe's back in Western PA and he's holding Simon and family hostage.  Someone local call the SWAT Team.

557197[/snapback]

These are not the droids you are looking for.... :w00t:

Couple of things, but first enjoyed reading this post.

#1) Not so sure Levy lost his team. Think there were several factors involved, but thats another argument. Even if he did, is it not general wisdom that 90% of coached outlive thier usefulness after about 7 or 8 years with the same squad? If so, Marvs got a whole new cast of characters, from the front office on and all the way through the players and coaches that should be able to drink the Levy kool aid without it being old or repitious.

#2)In looking at this thing half full instead of half empty, I would say Bill Polian has been the most succseesful front office guy(Pioliand Belichek excluded) in the NFL for the 20 yrs. Well, Marv worked with Bill three differant places, and worked closely with him by all accounts. Maybe, just maybe, Marv can put those experiences to good use .

#3) Go Bills!!!!!!!!!!!

556958[/snapback]

And just so's you remember, said Polian thinks Marv is great. Perhaps I value his opinion over The bill from the city (otherwise a font of wisdom this dopey sandbox) and other ageists? If your greatest knock on levy is that he is old, you aren't showing much football acumen. Players DO get old (ie lose physical skills), but coaches do not get fired for getting old. They get fired for one reason only, they lose.

GO BILLS.

557297[/snapback]

I agree with basically only one thing you said here: That no one knows. The only problem I have with fans droning on and on, and I am one of them, is when they think their opinions are facts. That is just plain stupid. I have very strong opinions on the Bills and have expressed them here for years. And while I believe them, I know they are just that. And I have been wrong 100 times and right 100 times and somewhere in the middle 2600+ times.

But where I think you're dead wrong is... so what? This place is a blast. It's pure entertainment. I get more real information about the Bills at TSW than I ever got in my 40 years of following them. 1000 times more than before there was the internet. I happen to spend a lot of time here at certain points of the year because I like it. It's friggin' hysterical sometimes. It's fun as hell to argue. Some of the posters have great football knowledge or are some of the best wiseasses you'll find anywhere. Who cares if what we post is not going to make a difference in how the team is run or any difference in the world, it's fun as hell. It's something i care about: The Bills.

I don't apologize for my infatuation or obsession with the Bills one bit, I happen to like it and like it a lot. If it were interfering with my job or raising kids or my relationship then and only then is it a problem, other than that it's a lot better entertainment and interaction with people than watching TV or going to the mall or playing poker with Aunt Margie.

Some people who have double digit post totals on a single day should be bashed accordingly here, and some people applauded for entertaining or informing the troops. But everyone is entitled to as many posts as they wish and will get what's coming to them, rightfully or wrongfully, the kudos or the backlash.

Football is not quantum physics, you're right. It's a lot more fun to argue about though and it allows every retard on the rollercoaster to voice his or her own opinion about it. We know it's not quantum physics and we're happy about it. Some here know a ton about football and I know way more about football because i come here a lot than I did before. I know nothing more about quantum physics than I want to. I also know a lot more about human nature coming here than I did before. I know what people in england and Indiana and Arizona and Texas and 1843 other places in the world think about the Bills that I never knew before. I now know that some women that lives in northern pennsyltucky knows as much or more about the Bills than I do and I hate her for it. :w00t:

If you think every second you spend here is a waste, please leave. Not because you're not welcome but because you clearly have better things to do, and you should be doing them. I think this place is a great thing to do, and I am glad to be here. Even if I know my 2600 posts don't change the way the team will be run. I hope though, that some have entertained some people, informed some people, infuriated some people, made some people think a different way, encouraged some people to look at things or life differently, and wasted a lot of people's time with silly, stupid plays on words.

Go Bills.

I agree with basically only one thing you said here: That no one knows. The only problem I have with fans droning on and on, and I am one of them, is when they think their opinions are facts. That is just plain stupid. I have very strong opinions on the Bills and have expressed them here for years. And while I believe them, I know they are just that. And I have been wrong 100 times and right 100 times and somewhere in the middle 2600+ times.

But where I think you're dead wrong is... so what? This place is a blast. It's pure entertainment. I get more real information about the Bills at TSW than I ever got in my 40 years of following them. 1000 times more than before there was the internet.  I happen to spend a lot of time here at certain points of the year because I like it. It's friggin' hysterical sometimes. It's fun as hell to argue. Some of the posters have great football knowledge or are some of the best wiseasses you'll find anywhere. Who cares if what we post is not going to make a difference in how the team is run or any difference in the world, it's fun as hell. It's something i care about: The Bills.

I don't apologize for my infatuation or obsession with the Bills one bit, I happen to like it and like it a lot. If it were interfering with my job or raising kids or my relationship then and only then is it a problem, other that that it's a lot better entertainment and interaction with people than watching TV or going to the mall or playing poker with Aunt Margie.

Some people who have double digit post totals should be bashed accordingly here, and some people applauded for entertaining or informing the troops. But everyone is entitled to as many posts as they wish and will get what's coming to them, rightfully or wrongfully, the kudos or the backlash.

Football is not quantum physics, you're right. It's a lot more fun to argue about though and it allows every retard on the rollercoaster to voice his or her own opinion about it. We know it's not quantum physics and we're happy about it. Some here know a ton about football and I know way more about football because i come here a lot than I did before. I know nothing more about quantum physics than I want to. I also know a lot more about human nature coming here than I did before. I know what people in england and Indiana and Arizona and Texas and 1843 other places in the world think about the Bills that I never knew before. I now know that some women that lives in northern pennsyltucky knows as much or more about the Bills than I do and I hate her for it. :w00t:

If you think every second you spend here is a waste, please leave. Not because you're not welcome but because you clearly have better things to do, and you should be doing them. I think this place is a great thing to do, and I am glad to be here. Even if I know my 2600 posts don't change the way the team will be run. I hope though, that some have entertained some people, informed some people, infuriated some people, made some people think a different way, encouraged some people to look at things or life differently, and wasted a lot of people's time with silly, stupid plays on words.

Go Bills.

557390[/snapback]

Thanks Barry.

Complete nonsense. TD signed London Fletcher, remember? He has chosen guys from big programs and small schools like Terrence McGee. He's chosen undersized playmakers like Josh Reed, raw talent from medium sized schools like JP Losman, players that were winners their entire career, pure talent from big schools like Lee Evans, over acheivers like Schobel from TCU, undersized playmakers like Travis Henry from big schools, polished big name players with measurables like Nate Clements, unwashed great athletes like Coy Wire from Stanford. He's been all over the board. He just made some mistakes on the talent or the heart or the intangibles on the players. Again, I think he made some major mistakes and I am not unhappy he was fired. He didn't win. But this is more baseless criticism, IMO.

557269[/snapback]

Shutup. No one is interested in facts.

But where I think you're dead wrong is... so what? This place is a blast. It's pure entertainment. I get more real information about the Bills at TSW than I ever got in my 40 years of following them. 1000 times more than before there was the internet.  I happen to spend a lot of time here at certain points of the year because I like it. It's friggin' hysterical sometimes. It's fun as hell to argue. Some of the posters have great football knowledge or are some of the best wiseasses you'll find anywhere. Who cares if what we post is not going to make a difference in how the team is run or any difference in the world, it's fun as hell. It's something i care about: The Bills.

I don't apologize for my infatuation or obsession with the Bills one bit, I happen to like it and like it a lot. If it were interfering with my job or raising kids or my relationship then and only then is it a problem, other than that it's a lot better entertainment and interaction with people than watching TV or going to the mall or playing poker with Aunt Margie.

Some people who have double digit post totals on a single day should be bashed accordingly here, and some people applauded for entertaining or informing the troops. But everyone is entitled to as many posts as they wish and will get what's coming to them, rightfully or wrongfully, the kudos or the backlash.

Football is not quantum physics, you're right. It's a lot more fun to argue about though and it allows every retard on the rollercoaster to voice his or her own opinion about it. We know it's not quantum physics and we're happy about it. Some here know a ton about football and I know way more about football because i come here a lot than I did before. I know nothing more about quantum physics than I want to. I also know a lot more about human nature coming here than I did before. I know what people in england and Indiana and Arizona and Texas and 1843 other places in the world think about the Bills that I never knew before. I now know that some women that lives in northern pennsyltucky knows as much or more about the Bills than I do and I hate her for it. :D

Go Bills.

557390[/snapback]

I think in my post I admitted that even though I think coming here is a waste of time, I still find it as entertaining as you do. So when I say it's a waste, I mean it's not productive in the grand scheme of things (especially if you do the majority of your posting at work).

I was trying to point out how people here have so much superiority laced in all their posts when in reality no one is better than anyone else at speculating what certain personel decisions will have on the team's record. You admit this yourself, no one knows.

I do enjoy reading the comments on this forum, but it really gets old when the same things are repeated over and over again, especially if they made no sense the first time.

The simple fact is that Marv Levy has never been a GM so the title of this thread hit it dead on, however, he has done well in many other facets of the game. I think criticism of his age is unwarranted, because Marv continues to be one of those rare people that defies his age. He is healthy and at least publicly very articulate. To me citing the fact that he has not been professionally involved in the game is unwarranted. He has not hid in an NFL free vacuum. He has maintained a very keen interest in the game, and since his retirememt has always tinkered with a return in some capacity. As to those who assume that Ralph and Marv have "lost it" because of their age, cite some examples of how they have embarrased themselves publicly because of this decline. Brown spots on your hands do not indicate you have lost it, brown spots in your pants, however...well, that's another story.

I am a fan of Marv Levy, and appreciate everything he has done for the Bills. That being said, all I can do is hope things turn out well. The saddest thing would be a big failure and Marv tarnishing his image in a place where he is loved and respected.