Levy signing a joke...

I love Levy, don't get me wrong. He was a GREAT coach and nice guy.

Wilson is a brillant majician. The TD failure was softened by Ralph's hiring of fan favorite Levy. We refresh death with life. We soften anger with historic fondness. Levy was never known as a personel guy. Polian, Dwight Adams, Butler and AJ Smith were the talent guys. Levy plugged motivated. How can he motivate at 80, from a press box? This signing has NO significance. It is like England "rolling out" the Queen Mom once a year to the fawning toothless british fans who cry with historic remembrance of what was and would could be - ala a Great Britian! But really, the best teams are young, and TD was right when he said that today's NFL is for the young man. Look at the best teams, they all have young GMS and front offices. Almost all of the playoff teams do. Modrak is assume will take over the pro selections along and Guy will run the college full time.

Bottom line, MM needs talent. We are thin at OG, OT, C, TE, FB, QB, DT, LB and FS. Simple as that. Our drafts have not panned out. Guys like Wire, Mike Williams, Denney, Edwards, have been flops. Free Agents like Vincent, Ben Anderson, Campbell and have stunk. Losman needs to wmore yrs of development, with the suspect line we have. So look for 2 more yrs of rebuilding.

why write so much? address the substance of the post. oh, i forgot, small trivial, thoughtless, non-humorous one-liners are your expertise. i assume some laugh at the things you write on occasion. humor is hard to predict or score, right?

but really, the post speaks for itself. don't mean to piss on your parade, but we got no talent and 80 yr old marve is really not going to change that. now think about what i said. comment on it.

There is no team in the NFL without numerous flaws. The difference is, on successful teams coaches are able to minimize weaknesses by playing to the strenghts they do have. Bill Belichick is a master of this.

Mike Mularkey hasn't been successful because he continues to hypocritically try and fit the square peg into the round hole.

what are our strenghts? our punter is excellent. willis is good for 80 yards a game. i guess evans is pretty fsat every 3rd game. ah, i suppose shoebel is a good 3rd down rusher.

There is no team in the NFL without numerous flaws.  The difference is, on successful teams coaches are able to minimize weaknesses by playing to the strenghts they do have.  Bill Belichick is a master of this.

Mike Mularkey hasn't been successful because he continues to hypocritically try and fit the square peg into the round hole.

555890[/snapback]

I love Levy, don't get me wrong.  He was a  GREAT coach and nice guy.

Wilson is a brillant majician.  The TD failure was softened by Ralph's hiring of fan favorite Levy.  We refresh death with life.  We soften anger with historic fondness.  Levy was never known as a personel guy.  Polian, Dwight Adams, Butler and AJ Smith were the talent guys.  Levy plugged motivated.  How can he motivate at 80, from a press box?  This signing has NO significance.  It is like England "rolling out" the Queen Mom once a year to the fawning toothless british fans who cry with historic remembrance of what was and would could be - ala a Great Britian!  But really, the best teams are young, and TD was right when he said that today's NFL is for the young man.  Look at the best teams, they all have young GMS and front offices.  Almost all of the playoff teams do.  Modrak is assume will take over the pro selections along and Guy will run the college full time. 

Bottom line, MM needs talent.  We are thin at OG, OT, C, TE, FB, QB, DT, LB and FS.  Simple as that.  Our drafts have not panned out.  Guys like Wire, Mike Williams, Denney, Edwards, have been flops.  Free Agents like Vincent, Ben Anderson, Campbell and have stunk.  Losman needs to wmore yrs of development, with the suspect line we have.  So look for 2 more yrs of rebuilding.

555864[/snapback]

Since when is it the job of the GM to motivate the team on game day? And becuase Marv is old, he doesnt have the talent to fill those holes?

what are our strenghts? our punter is excellent. willis is good for 80 yards a game. i guess evans is pretty fsat every 3rd game. ah, i suppose shoebel is a good 3rd down rusher.

There is no team in the NFL without numerous flaws.  The difference is, on successful teams coaches are able to minimize weaknesses by playing to the strenghts they do have.  Bill Belichick is a master of this.

555890[/snapback]

555890[/snapback]

Ah! There may be the biggest attribute Marv will bring to help Mularkey -- common football sense, something MM seemingly lacks from time to time.

what are our strenghts?  our punter is excellent.  willis is good for 80 yards a game.  i guess evans is pretty fsat every 3rd game.  ah, i suppose shoebel is a good 3rd down rusher.

555899[/snapback]

Dont take this the wrong way because I really am not flaming you.....but those comments are a LITTLE shortsighted.....

- Our punter IS excellent

- Willis is good for 80 yards a game? Not bad considering he gets met in the backfield far too much....or that our OL dont want to get out and pull on sweeps...or that our center keeps getting pushed into the backfield and on and on. OL must be a priority this year....if we put some talent in front of WM he will have a huge season

- Evans is just fine as a starter....but we must put someone on the other side of the field that can be a strong solid possession reciever

- Check Schrobel's stats compared to other big name DE's.....he seems to be quite comparable. DE's stats get much better when they are pinning their ears back on 3rd and longs and the other team HAS to pass.....way to much running up the middle this year on us.

dwight smith, aj smith, butler and polian and others built the 1988-1997 BUFFALO BILLS! not levy. bringing in levy has NOTHING to do with building a better team. he will sell tickets to those morons who relate his name with winning. the corrolation is bogus, other than marve motivating great players on sundays like

BRUCE

TALLEY

KELLY

THURMAN

REED

TASKER

CONLON

"BISCUIT"

SEALS

WOLFORD

BALLARD

etc...

all brought in by the gms and scouts like dwight adams who slept in cheep motels most of his scouting career.

what are our strenghts?  our punter is excellent.  willis is good for 80 yards a game.  i guess evans is pretty fsat every 3rd game.  ah, i suppose shoebel is a good 3rd down rusher.

555902[/snapback]

So far those sound pretty good. Don't forget that we have the best kick returner in football. TKO is on track to be back next year. Crowell looked very decent and got some valuable playing time. London just had a monster year. We still have a very good secondary. Our needs are clearly defined. Ralph said today he's ready for a spending spree.

How do you or anyone ELSE know how Marv will perform as VP of football operations (i.e. GM)? Just because he's 80 means he can't be a good one? Now I'd agree with you if Marv were hired as HC, where you need to be mentally sharp (or let me say, sharper than a still-sharp 80-year old). But he's not. It's not like he as a 40-second play-clock on VP/GM duties.

And I think that Marv's first order of business will be to fix the O- and D-lines. Sometimes it takes an outsider's perspective to see what the real problems are.

hahahhaaaaaaaaaa, LOLOLOL, that was hilarious. naw, just joking. a linerologist? what the...

levy still has great one liners, no doubt. harvard educated football coach. that is an oxymoron.

If there are any unfunny one-liners around here  I will author them, thank you.

Marv could use a one-linerologist to handle his press conference cap.

There. See? Unfunny.

555925[/snapback]

I love Levy, don't get me wrong.  He was a  GREAT coach and nice guy.

Wilson is a brillant majician.  The TD failure was softened by Ralph's hiring of fan favorite Levy.  We refresh death with life.  We soften anger with historic fondness.  Levy was never known as a personel guy.  Polian, Dwight Adams, Butler and AJ Smith were the talent guys.  Levy plugged motivated.  How can he motivate at 80, from a press box?  This signing has NO significance.  It is like England "rolling out" the Queen Mom once a year to the fawning toothless british fans who cry with historic remembrance of what was and would could be - ala a Great Britian!  But really, the best teams are young, and TD was right when he said that today's NFL is for the young man.  Look at the best teams, they all have young GMS and front offices.  Almost all of the playoff teams do.  Modrak is assume will take over the pro selections along and Guy will run the college full time. 

Do you know Marv personally or are you basing what Marv can or can't do on your knowledge of what a NFL GM's duties consist of?

well i can't predict the future. but we always hear that the best/only way to look at the future is by studing the past. thus, we hired TD who built winners in pitt. but it flopped. but here, we have levy, who is a COACH! a guy in the locker room, a buddy a pal a one liner guy. he aint the suit at the annual NFL palm beach GM meetings. he is a football guy. his status is excellent, no doubt. it may breed belief, i allow this notion, maybe. but he has been a coach at every stop he has made in the league. the super bowl teams he coahed with ted marchibroda were built by 4 men. they are - those still alive - still building winners:

PLOIAN -- COLTS

AJ SMITH CHARGERS

Marv has always been a team player, and even though he is old he is still a very intelligent man. He's also been around football longer then most of us have been alive, and has stayed in touch with today's game since his retirement. It's not like his responsibilities will be like TD's, Ralph just wanted an unbiased observer he could trust, that could also provide leadership to the rest of the assistants, and give Buffalo a PR upgrade. That's exactly what Marv Levy will bring. If you’re worried about his role in Free Agency or the draft, Marv said himself that his decisions will be heavily influenced by his assistants. This is not a man that will create a power struggle with Ralph, MM, or Modrak. Levy is a team guy that will trust Modrak and others to advise him on the roster, and take a logical direction with it.