MARV LEVY IS THE NEW GENERAL MANAGER!

Corp000085

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does he still have the edge you need to get this job done?  I love the guy, but at least during this PC, he seems almost too nice...

555683[/snapback]

i suppose he'll get mad when he needs to

i remember him yelling at a ref so much the gum almost flew out of his mouth

Man, to be honest, I thought he looked good and sounded terrible. Nothing like he used to speak. He had seven or eight canned and deeply prepared one liners which were amusing and good but he didnt sound like he was an astute football man in any way. My only hope for this is that they get a sharp, YOUNG future GM candidate from some other organization to take over for John Guy they can groom as a GM. Marv, again, sounded like Uncle Mo to me. All that talk about consensus is fine, but it's just not reality when you have two people out of it and one person not there very much.

Bring in Theo Epstien to learn the football bidness

Man, to be honest, I thought he looked good and sounded terrible. Nothing like he used to speak. He had seven or eight canned and deeply prepared one liners which were amusing and good but he didnt sound like he was an astute football man in any way. My only hope for this is that they get a sharp, YOUNG future GM candidate from some other organization to take over for John Guy they can groom as a GM. Marv, again, sounded like Uncle Mo to me.  All that talk about consensus is fine, but it's just not reality when you have two people out of it and one person not there very much.

555735[/snapback]

Man, to be honest, I thought he looked good and sounded terrible. Nothing like he used to speak. He had seven or eight canned and deeply prepared one liners which were amusing and good but he didnt sound like he was an astute football man in any way. My only hope for this is that they get a sharp, YOUNG future GM candidate from some other organization to take over for John Guy they can groom as a GM. Marv, again, sounded like Uncle Mo to me.  All that talk about consensus is fine, but it's just not reality when you have two people out of it and one person not there very much.

555735[/snapback]

In all seriousness, what difference does it make how old a GM is? What is your qualification for young and old? 40-60 ideal? 18-39 too young? Is there some type of chart your working off of?

I am with Kelly, the "old dog, new tricks" thingy. What does Marv know about salary caps? he is a coach, now if the GM is really a 2 headed monster with Modrak(handling the business) and Levy(handling PR, on field consultation/leadership), then fine. Marv's age does scare me

In all seriousness, what difference does it make how old a GM is? What is your qualification for young and old? 40-60 ideal? 18-39 too young? Is there some type of chart your working off of?

555749[/snapback]

I am with Kelly, the "old dog, new tricks" thingy.  What does Marv know about salary caps?

What does Marv need to know about salary caps? Nothing. He goes to his salary cap guy and says "We want Xxxx Xxxxxxxxxx. Now make it happen."

I mean, Donald Trump doesn't sit there and write the friggin' legal contract. He says "I want to build there. Now go make it happen."

I am with Kelly, the "old dog, new tricks" thingy.  What does Marv know about salary caps?  he is a coach, now if the GM is really a 2 headed monster with Modrak(handling the business) and Levy(handling PR, on field consultation/leadership), then fine.  Marv's age does scare me

555761[/snapback]

Modrak is scouting. Overdorf is contracts/capologist. Marv is leadership, direction and organization. Not much overlap.

555749[/snapback]

It doesn't matter how old the guy is whatsoever, it only matters how sharp they are and what they sound like. To me, listening very closely, looking for signs, he doesn't sound anything like the astute football man he sounded like 10 years ago. He answered most everything with bromides and pre-packaged one-liners and with all the clarity and specifics of a politician avoiding taking a stance. All that talk about building a consensus is great, if you can build consensus with a doddering old owner, an out of touch former head coach, a sharp draft guy who doesnt spend much time here, and a lame duck coach everyone here thinks is an incompetent fool.

OK, I can buy into that, it just that you always hear that Butler got us into cap hell and TD miraculously saved us

What does Marv need to know about salary caps? Nothing. He goes to his salary cap guy and says "We want Xxxx Xxxxxxxxxx. Now make it happen."

I mean, Donald Trump doesn't sit there and write the friggin' legal contract. He says "I want to build there. Now go make it happen."

555774[/snapback]

555774[/snapback]

You acquire players through free agency, which is half of your roster, based on what they are worth to you in dollar figures, what they and their agents will accept as payment to join your team, and their talent on the field in direct relationship to those other two things. They are as integral to each other as they could possibly be.

What did you expect him to say?

555791[/snapback]

I expected him to say exactly what he did, because he's not qualified for half of the job requirements. He's fantastic at what he just did, which is very important, don't get me wrong, get the fan base excited and feeling we're back to the future.

What I want a GM to say, is that I am directly involved in player movements and I know the importance of the salary cap while developing a roster. I've spent the last several years with a good idea of the talent around the league and how it works within the cap. I am going to work with my coach who will be here for the remaining three years on his contract and has my full backing but I will not be micro-managing the team. I have a clear vision for this team, and we're going to be _____. The strength of any team is in the trenches, anyone can see that, and we clearly have to get better on both sides of the ball in that area even if we need to revamp the entire OL and DL. We want players who want to be champions as Buffalo Bills and committed to winning in Buffalo and anyone that doesn't want to be here will be shown the door.

For an old geezer....I thought Marv sounded really good. Seriously, go talk to many 80 year olds and they cannot articulate like Marv did today. I loved the line about "the past is history...the future is a mystery". great stuff!

It doesn't matter how old the guy is whatsoever, it only matters how sharp they are and what they sound like. To me, listening very closely, looking for signs, he doesn't sound anything like the astute football man he sounded like 10 years ago. He answered most everything with bromides and pre-packaged one-liners and with all the clarity and specifics of a politician avoiding taking a stance. All that talk about building a consensus is great, if you can build consensus with a doddering old owner, an out of touch former head coach, a sharp draft guy who doesnt spend much time there, and a lame duck coach everyone here thinks is an incompetent fool.

555778[/snapback]

The only fool around here I'm responding to.