John Clayton reporting on MM

Bflojohn

Good news to me. Sort of sounds like Ralph may have seen enough of Gray and Clements.

I like Mularkey but if he falls on his sword for either Gray or Clements, then he needs to go. Neither of those two brings much to the table and they certainly aren't worht going down with.

550779[/snapback]

He basically fired Clements himself when he took away the play calling duties in October. Maybe it's not about who gets fired, but about who gets to choose the NEW OC (and DC if the situation arises). Just a thought...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I believe that Ralph just wanted to fire Wade because he didnt like several of his assistants. If Wade agreed to fire Ronnie Jones, Ralph would have said, Oh, and I want you to fire _____, too, and then _____. Wade knew he was gone, and wanted to show other assistants around the league, for future jobs, that he would fall on his sword for them. It was more of a PR deal than anything. I think Wade phillips would have easily let Ronnie Jones go to save his job as head coach of the Bills. Wade was a smart guy, even if he didnt wear a headset.

550793[/snapback]

PR move or not, Phillips falling on the sword meant that he also got fired by Wilson. If Phillips didn't have the power to select assistants, Wilson would just say, "if you don't like it here, quit."

Aren't MM's "packages" enough of a reason to send him packing? I personally detest that type of philosophy.

550785[/snapback]

I have mentioned how that term, more than anything, makes me dislike Mularkey. He would say that at least 2 dozen times during every post game PC, while defending useless calls involving Shelton or Shaud Williams.

Actually, I believe that Ralph just wanted to fire Wade because he didnt like several of his assistants. If Wade agreed to fire Ronnie Jones, Ralph would have said, Oh, and I want you to fire _____, too, and then _____. Wade knew he was gone, and wanted to show other assistants around the league, for future jobs, that he would fall on his sword for them. It was more of a PR deal than anything. I think Wade phillips would have easily let Ronnie Jones go to save his job as head coach of the Bills. Wade was a smart guy, even if he didnt wear a headset.

550793[/snapback]

i agree -- wade was so gone. in fact, lenny p at the time (i think it was him) wrote that donohoe liked wade personally and wouldn't take the job until wade was fired. he didn't want to have to do it himself, which i think was smart of him.

i have to say, if this is true, than the longtime rumblings about wilson being a difficult and mercurial owner are definitively true. i'm not saying these guys didn't get what was coming to them, but if true, the way wilson has done has left a bad taste in my mouth. i know i predicted a few days ago that mm would certainly be back, and i may about to be proven really wrong. so my predictions are kind of worth squat. that said, if this goes down, i expect levy to be the gm and for him and ralph to hire an experienced coach. who that will be i have no idea.

PR move or not, Phillips falling on the sword meant that he also got fired by Wilson.  If Phillips didn't have the power to select assistants, Wilson would just say, "if you don't like it here, quit."

550806[/snapback]

Absolutely. The only thing I was lightly disagreeing with was the (possible) implication of your post that Wade was fired for not firing one assistant, Ronnie Jones.

Aren't MM's "packages" enough of a reason to send him packing? I personally detest that type of philosophy.

550785[/snapback]

I'm not sure what you mean by packages. Do you mean Shaud as the 3rddown back, the occasional 5wide set on first down, a nickel that leaves Milloy on the field?

Mularkey's shown enough of a willingness to be innovative that I'm hesitant to give him hell for using the same type of player packages that all other coaches use.

Cya

That's fine with me.  Who, besides April and McNally (at the very least, because there's no one better available) is worth keeping?

550729[/snapback]

The only two guys I would like to see stay is Tim Krumrie and Bobby April.

I'm not sure what you mean by packages. Do you mean Shaud as the 3rddown back, the occasional 5wide set on first down, a nickel that leaves Milloy on the field?

Mularkey's shown enough of a willingness to be innovative that I'm hesitant to give him hell for using the same type of player packages that all other coaches use.

Cya

550856[/snapback]

My problem with the packages is when he has Sam Aiken in there instead of Eric Moulds in the middle of the game and then runs the ball every single play when there are Islamic guys with hoods over their head in secret prisons in outer Fukkistan that know we're going to run because Sam Aiken is a good blocker for a WR.

My problem with the packages is when he has Sam Aiken in there instead of Eric Moulds in the middle of the game and then runs the ball every single play when there are Islamic guys with hoods over their head in secret prisons in outer Fukkistan that know we're going to run because Sam Aiken is a good blocker for a WR.

550866[/snapback]

B-):D

Too true....

Guys I would like to see stay:

April

Wyche

Krumrie

McNally

Tolbert

Blackmon

Szabo

550747[/snapback]

Unfortunately, in the NFL you don't get to fire the head guy and then keep the asisstants to impose on the new guy.

If we're going to fire Mularkey, which we should, then we have to be willing to let all of the asisstants go - including Bobby April.

JDG