With thew game on the line, WM is "TIRED"

LabattBlue

Frequently getting a little blow on the sidelines perhaps?

That's where he was a good deal of the time this year on 3rd and whatever.

I put that mostly on the coaching.

549168[/snapback]

Which coach?

It ain't the "conditioning coach" that is for sure....

and FWIW - if WM is not in game shape I blame WM....

Pat Williams and Ted Washington played next to each other in the Rusty Jones era. He did a friggin whale of a job conditioning them. Jamie Nails anyone? Jerry Crafts? I have a lot of respect for Rusty Jones but to criticize the team for letting Rusty Jones go and that Willis suffered and is out of shape because of it, one of the more remarkable physical specimins you will ever see, is, well, silly.

549176[/snapback]

I'll give you that Willis is in top muscular shape.

I think it's his cardio-vascular shape that has some wondering.

There's probably a lot more going on than just that though, and me thinks it has something to do with the HC and the RB coach and how they chose to use WM (situationally) this year. It mainly lies in the fact that he was sitting on the bench during many 3rd down situations and his HC said he didn't want to get him tired.

Color us battered and blue, but don't fault us for wanting to see our best running back on the field at a critical time - when the game is one the line. :unsure:

I'll give you that Willis is in top muscular shape.

I think it's his cardio-vascular shape that has some wondering.

There's probably a lot more going on than just that though, and me thinks it has something to do with the HC and the RB coach and how they chose to use WM (situationally) this year. It mainly lies in the fact that he was sitting on the bench during many 3rd down situations and his HC said he didn't want to get him tired.

Color us battered and blue, but don't fault us for wanting to see our best running back on the field at a critical time - when the game is one the line. :unsure:

549185[/snapback]

When are people going to stop listening and believing what coaches say in press conferences as being the truth. They virtually never say the real reason, nor should they. Willis is not in on third downs because he cannot block great, or catch fantastic, or accelerate as fast as Shaud Williams. But more importantly, he has to kill himself simply to get three yards on this team. The idea was that Williams would be the third down back, as a change of pace, it just hasn't happened all that well and it's not the answer.

But Mularkey is not going to say to a reporter, well, frankly, we were wrong about Willis and he can't block for sh--, and he can't run swing passes and draws and change of pace plays as well as some of our other backs. And frankly, that isn't even the real reason. The real reason is our line sucks (and therefore our GM sucks and he really sucks for hiring me) and it wears Willis down to have to struggle for two yards every carry, only to be gang tackled and left for dead. So yeah, Willis gets tired out there.

When are people going to stop listening and believing what coaches say in press conferences as being the truth. They virtually never say the real reason, nor should they. Willis is not in on third downs because he cannot block great, or catch fantastic, or accelerate as fast as Shaud Williams. But more importantly, he has to kill himself simply to get three yards on this team. The idea was that Williams would be the third down back, as a change of pace, it just hasn't happened all that well and it's not the answer.

But Mularkey is not going to say to a reporter, well, frankly, we were wrong about Willis and he can't block for sh--, and he can't run swing passes and draws and change of pace plays as well as some of our other backs. And frankly, that isn't even the real reason. The real reason is our line sucks (and therefore our GM sucks and he really sucks for hiring me) and it wears Willis down to have to struggle for two yards every carry, only to be gang tackled and left for dead. So yeah, Willis gets tired out there.

549196[/snapback]

Kelly, your dog seems to be becoming less fair and balanced by the day.... :unsure::P

I question the how much utility these conditioning guys have.  Sure, maybe for the big, fat guys they are useful, but does Willis actually need someone to tell him how to get into shape?  That strikes me as just being silly.

549136[/snapback]

Have you ever listened to Willis speak? I'm sure he needs someone to tell him just about everything that doesn't involve involuntary bodily functions.

549196[/snapback]

Man, and I thought I was bummin.

:unsure:

Which coach?

It ain't the "conditioning coach" that is for sure....

and FWIW - if WM is not in game shape I blame WM....

549181[/snapback]

Well, that was partly my point. MM and TC's 'game-planning' take him out of the game, and his position coach - Eric Studesville perhaps has no juice to advocate using WM more.

"and FWIW - if WM is not in game shape I blame WM...."

Me too.

However a CV conditioning program should be a team-wide implementation. The evidence suggests that is not the case since Rusty left. Maybe in its absence guys hit the weights more than the bikes. JMHO.

how did this guy lose his work ethic?all we heard when he wanted to get drafted was how he was such a hard worker.we take him and sit him for a year and he has this mega chip on his shoulder.runs his mouth about being the best and we are not even allowed to use him on crucial 3rd downs?maybe he just got disenchanted with buffalo because of mularky?or did he get a reality check and realize it will be alot harder to hold out for his mega payday with outr loser coach?

My thinking is that this is less of a coaching issue and more of a testament to Willis' dedication. Which he hasn't shown much of, from my viewing.

I wrote the following in a McGahee/Henry comparison thread, and rather than re-hash it, I'll simply repost it. It still applies.

I'm not someone who's going to pretend to be an expert on the Xs and Os. I can only tell you what I think from what I've seen on my TV and the few games I could attend in person.

And that is that it seems like Travis Henry ran hard on every down. In our 3-13 season when he was a rookie, I remember being quite impressed in how he was one of the few players out there still giving it his all even though the team had nothing to play for.

Willis McGahee, on the other hand, looks to me like he isn't always trying as hard as he could. Maybe it's the injury, maybe it's because he doesn't like the cold, I don't know. I'm not going to pretend I know why he does things, I can only observe what he's done, okay?

And to say that the offensive line for Henry was better than McGahee is absurd. Both have run behind poor lines and we all know this.

Here's the bottom line. You can say Henry wasn't worthy because of his off field problems or because he wasn't a good blocker or whatever else. Henry wasn't the second-coming of Thurman. But at this point Willis McGahee hasn't shown me to be an upgrade over Henry.

Henry played with heart and I'll always respect a player that does that more than someone who supposedly has more talent but rarely shows it.

I'm saying that slapping a title "conditioning coach" onto someone probably makes them more important than they really are.

We aren't talking about taking your average message board poster and turning them into an NFL-caliber athlete.  These guys have already achieved physical pinnacles that most never see.

The point is that WM is a world-class athlete who also came back from a devastating knee injury.  Me thinks he already knows what it takes to avoid getting winded after a 20 yard sprint.

549163[/snapback]

Apparently they've forgotten players like Jamie Nails.