the other shoe drops

I read this as a shot at the front office and not the players.  They were so busy hyping and selling the product on paper, they didn't know that the product sucked.  That is, they believed their own bull sh--.

Another example would be the Takeo Spikes injury.  If the right talent was being brought in, then losing one guy out of 11 on defense should not have sent the entire team spiraling out of control.  Everybody knows injuries are part of the game and one has to have backups and coaches that can "hide" points of weakness with some creativity.

Is Mularkey going to want to stay?  Or will he fall on his sword ala Wade Phillips when Ralph gives him the business about his assistants?

547590[/snapback]

I don't think the Spikes injury sent the defense spiraling out of control at all. I think the loss of Pat Williams ruined thei run defense. Ron edwards was a terrible solution. Not having a big fat guy next to Adams made him free lance more and lose a ton of his effectiveness. Inability to stop the run on first and third down effected the entire defense. Early season injury to Milloy's thumb hurt him and us for the entire season. he was unable to wrap guys up and missed tackles he normally makes that turned 4 yard runs into 44 yard runs. Vincent, too, was hurt and his run stopping/tackling was very bad. Clements had a terrible year. Jerry Gray, scrambling to adjust, panicked and consistently made the bad calls against certain teams early. This, combined with Spikes' getting hurt, all lead to a huge breakdown in the defense, which frankly, has been decent the last month.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the Spikes injury sent the defense spiraling out of control at all. I think the loss of Pat Williams ruined thei run defense. Ron edwards was a terrible solution. Not having a big fat guy next to Adams made him free lance more and lose a ton of his effectiveness. Inability to stop the run on first and third down effected the entire defense. Early season injury to Milloy's thumb hurt him and us for the entire season. he was unable to wrap guys up and missed tackles he normally makes that turned 4 yard runs into 44 yard runs. Vincent, too, was hurt and his run stopping/tackling was very bad. Clements had a terrible year. Jerry Gray, scrambling to adjust, panicked and consistently made the bad calls against certain teams early. This, combined with Spikes' getting hurt, all lead to a huge breakdown in the defense, which frankly, has been decent the last month.

547612[/snapback]

Yes, I realize that losing Spikes wasn't the only issue. Donahoe's refusal to put talent in the trenches on both sides of the ball is clearly why this team sucks hard.

Indeed, I happen to think Crowell did a very good job stepping in for Spikes. However, it did seem like the defense had its heart ripped out when Spikes went down and rather than having veterans like Milloy and Adams step it up, the defense just fell apart.

Anyway, the point was that Donahoe was out there selling the team as title contenders and they clearly are anything but that. With one of the worst OL in the game, a weak DL and suspect run defense, with a rookie at QB, with lots of questionable depth, with a grass-green head coach ... this was definitely not a team poised to make a run at the Super Bowl.

All I care about is TD NOT picking talent.

He's doing a fine job from a business angle, but his talent evaluationa nd planning is wanting.

547417[/snapback]

The business angle = we have some of the most embarassing uniforms in the NFL.

And selling football tickets in Buffalo isn't an accomplishment. It's about as hard as getting fat people to eat.

Like i said, I don't personally blame Moulds for the entire loss. I will say, however, that if Moulds didn't have a completely unwarranted meltdown when he did, I think we win that game. Sure, there were other ways we could have won it, or not lost it, but missed reads and bad passes happen. This doesn't happen.

547578[/snapback]

Only Moulds, Mularkey, and the receivers coach really know what the "meltdown" was about. I give more credence to Moulds saying he was upset about the lack of trying to put the dolphins away with a power running game than I do with him being upset about Evans getting the ball.

Only Moulds, Mularkey, and the receivers coach really know what the "meltdown" was about.  I give more credence to Moulds saying he was upset about the lack of trying to put the dolphins away with a power running game than I do with him being upset about Evans getting the ball.

547779[/snapback]

To me that is laughable. But it matters not what the argument was about, it matters not that Moulds was frustrated, what matters is Moulds taking himself out of the game, refusing to go back in. That is the only reason. Players do not get suspended and lose 93K for arguing on the sidelines that we should have run more with a 21-0 lead.

;)

So WITH Moulds in there, the Bills turn it over even more?  Or less? 

And let me ask you this.  You think Mould's presence is good for a 1st down?  And do you think even just 1 more 1st down would have helped win the game?

547577[/snapback]

I'm saying we didn't lose the game because of Moulds. We had our opportunities after he was benched, and we blew them. Moulds was also rightly complaining about the play calling that was designed to squander a lead rather than put the Dolphins away.

I'm saying we didn't lose the game because of Moulds.  We had our opportunities after he was benched, and we blew them.  Moulds was also rightly complaining about the play calling that was designed to squander a lead rather than put the Dolphins away.

Moulds being out, for whatever reason, was A reason why the Bills lost. Whether he took himself or got himself benched, what he did should have NEVER happened. And Moulds accepted the suspension WAY too calmly.

To me that is laughable. But it matters not what the argument was about, it matters not that Moulds was frustrated, what matters is Moulds taking himself out of the game, refusing to go back in. That is the only reason. Players do not get suspended and lose 93K for arguing on the sidelines that we should have run more with a 21-0 lead.

547785[/snapback]

They do when the coach looks like an idiot for his stupid play calls that lead to a humiliating loss. How'd you like that first down pass by Roscoe?

They do when the coach looks like an idiot for his stupid play calls that lead to a humiliating loss.  How'd you like that first down pass by Roscoe?

547796[/snapback]

No, they don't. Ever. It has never happened and never will. Besides, Moulds refused to go back in while the Bills were winning and it still looked like they were going to win. I think it was in the second quarter in fact.

I thought the Roscoe pass was kinda ridiculous but it was complete if I recall for a few yard gain. Better than most of MM's play calls. Roscoe was a very talented high school quarterback by the way, who likely has a stronger arm than Kelly Holcomb.

Sorry to break up the "Eric Moulds cost us the all important 6th win debate..."

The real question I am struggling with here is whether this coaching staff is worth salvaging....that really determines whether you keep MM or not..

So Offense...

Clements

Studesville

McNally

Wyche

Miller

Tolbert

Verducci

On D

Gray

Blackmon

Krumrie

Szabo

Lester

Special Teams

April

Who has developed talent on this list--who's unit has improved?

Is there a core of assistants here that make it worth retaining Mularkey...April, Krumrie, McNally, Wyche, Blackmon--are they enough to keep this staff intact and just replace the coordinators or promote from within....I really don't see a downside in blowing the whole thing up and starting over...

Roscoe was a very talented high school quarterback by the way, who likely has a stronger arm than Kelly Holcomb.

547807[/snapback]

Reading this makes me change my mind about Roscoe. It is great to have him on the team. Here is a guy who he reminds me of. Maybe the Bills can make him an offer to round out their wr corps.

Moulds being out, for whatever reason, was A reason why the Bills lost.  Whether he took himself or got himself benched, what he did should have NEVER happened.  And Moulds accepted the suspension WAY too calmly.

547792[/snapback]

Your original post said "Well to be fair, the Bills were one quarter away from sweeping the Dolphins this year, with a team with worse talent, if not for Moulds". Now you are saying Moulds was A reason not THE reason. I can live with that.

Reading this makes me change my mind about Roscoe. It is great to have him on the team. Here is a guy who he reminds me of. Maybe the Bills can make him an offer to round out their wr corps.

547823[/snapback]

I guess that kinder, gentler Bill you resolved to be last night at midnight hit the crapper about 4:00 PM today huh??? ;) Happy New Year...May Travis Henry be banished forever from the NFL and may Roscoe Parish decide on a career as a stage actor in the Broadway remake of the Wizard of Oz...

i got all hot in my pants when i first read that, but yeah it does look like sucklarcky might stay.

i hope ralph says

"mike, with the great new linemen we are drafting do you think you have the tools you need to win?"

mularky staring off into space says

"huh?  what?  oh, yeah, um yeah, we have what we need to win"

the ralph says

"good, i think you'll be a great coach"

pause

"PSYCHE B word!!!!  get out of here, haslett is coming in and you are a piece of dog turd"

547404[/snapback]

I wonder how all this will affect the odds for the Colts and the Super Bowl.

I just thank God this season finally came to a close.

I hope RW is good and pissed. Look at everything he has to be upset about: too many trick plays, an impotent red zone offense (or effective running game), inconsistent QB play, horrible 3rd down defense, player revolts, and who can forget the looks of utter confusion on MM's face during some of his press conferences....At this point, only TD leaving the organization will leave me hopeful...If he stays, I can't see how anyone will take this team seriously again....

too many trick plays,

What trick plays are you talking about? I didn't think there were that many in the season (and sorry, but end arounds and play action passes on the goalline aren't really trick plays...)

CW

What trick plays are you talking about?  I didn't think there were that many in the season (and sorry, but end arounds and play action passes on the goalline aren't really trick plays...)

CW

547942[/snapback]

You're right, there really weren't a helluva lot of trick plays, and the last several of them that he used, worked. I would call an end around a trick play even though it doesn't usually trick anyone (although no one complained today when Evans ran 40 yards or last week when they kicked the onsides kick or the flea flicker, etc. That said, the non-trick playcalling was terrible for most of the season. ;) The last few games hasnt been all that bad.