Ouch babe!

Having been already knocked-out of the playoffs, this was a meaningless game. But instead it turned into a horror show. Brees suffers what looks like a BAD injury, which means his availability for a good portion of next year could be in doubt. And he's an UFA. So what do the Chargers do with him? Tough decision there, for sure. Then to top things off, Rivers goes into the game and looks bad, REAL bad. So there goes the trade market for him, at least for a 1st rounder. But maybe they'll now have to keep him because of Brees? I don't know, but I would NOT want to be AJ Smith right now.

I thought Rivers looked good for a start with no reps in practice and pouring rain and first ever against starters. But heh your right, he should have thrown for 400 yards and 4 TD's !

546438[/snapback]

12/22 for 115 yards and 1 Interception

A very Losman-esque performance

Guys, It's no different than Losman or any other first time starter. It's gonna look ugly for the first 10 to 30 games of a young Qb's career unless his name is Marino or Rothlisberger. That's just the way it is.

I thought Rivers looked good for a start with no reps in practice and pouring rain and first ever against starters. But heh your right, he should have thrown for 400 yards and 4 TD's !

You thought he looked good? He had a 54% completion percentage, no TD's, lost 2 fumbles and threw an INT, and he was playing against several backups. At best I'd give him a "we'll see next year," but that was FAR from a "good" performance.

And the Chargers are more "screwed" because there's NO way Brees is coming back quickly from that injury, and since he's an UFA at the end of the year, they will be faced with a tough decision on how to keep him, or if they WILL keep him or not. And the performance today by Rivers can't give them any comfort, knowing that he didn't show much, won't get them what they want in a trade now, AND he might be their only option.

Having been already knocked-out of the playoffs, this was a meaningless game.  But instead it turned into a horror show.  Brees suffers what looks like a BAD injury, which means his availability for a good portion of next year could be in doubt.  And he's an UFA.  So what do the Chargers do with him?  Tough decision there, for sure.  Then to top things off, Rivers goes into the game and looks bad, REAL bad.  So there goes the trade market for him, at least for a 1st rounder.  But maybe they'll now have to keep him because of Brees?  I don't know, but I would NOT want to be AJ Smith right now.

546405[/snapback]

Dislocated shoulder - hardly career ending

The Chargers have a serious problem - resign Brees and/or deal Rivers ? :w00t:

Having been already knocked-out of the playoffs, this was a meaningless game.  But instead it turned into a horror show.  Brees suffers what looks like a BAD injury, which means his availability for a good portion of next year could be in doubt.  And he's an UFA.  So what do the Chargers do with him?  Tough decision there, for sure.  Then to top things off, Rivers goes into the game and looks bad, REAL bad.  So there goes the trade market for him, at least for a 1st rounder.  But maybe they'll now have to keep him because of Brees?  I don't know, but I would NOT want to be AJ Smith right now.

546405[/snapback]

If I had 15 million bucks stuffed in my pockets like Rivers, I'd look slow too!!! :w00t:

Dislocated shoulder - hardly career ending

I never said career ending. Just something that could keep him from starting the season, which means...

The Chargers have a serious problem - resign Brees and/or deal Rivers ?  :w00t:

The problem is taking a chance and re-signing or franchising Brees, only to have him never come back the same. And Rivers' trade value took a nosedive today, and given that and Brees' injury, dealing him likely won't happen.

And Rivers' trade value took a nosedive today, and given that and Brees' injury, dealing him likely won't happen.

546478[/snapback]

Rivers did nothing today in a meaningless game against a disinterested opponent.

His trade value is based on his previous salary (two years ago) and his time in the league versus what a Top 5 (Leinhart) will command in new 2006 $$.

A shoulder separation (degree not reported) certainly has some impact on Brees but if it is limited - S.D. would be foolish (IMHO) to cast their dice with Rivers.

The Chargers played the worst NFL schedule - yet posted the best record against the best of the rest.

I blame Marty !

And Rivers' trade value took a nosedive today, and given that and Brees' injury, dealing him likely won't happen.

Rivers did nothing today in a meaningless game against a disinterested opponent.

His trade value is based on his previous salary (two years ago) and his time in the league versus what a Top 5 (Leinhart) will command in new 2006 $$.

I think that most teams that were interested in trading a 1st rounder for Rivers would have liked to see better play from him. As I said, at best it's a "wait until next year," but that won't help move Rivers THIS off-season. And many times, the potential of a rookie outweighs the known of a guy who has played in the league (although essentially a rookie, he's been in the league 2 years). Just look at Travis' trade value last off-season for proof of that.

A shoulder separation (degree not reported) certainly has some impact on Brees but if it is limited - S.D. would be foolish (IMHO) to cast their dice with Rivers.

After seeing the injury, I'd be surprised if it were just a separated shoulder. But even if it is, he likely won't be healthy/ready before the decision to franchise him rolls around, and casts uncertainty on what to do with him, and limits what the Chargers can do with Rivers.

Really, you people are "Dawgged" ! River comes off the bench, the last game of the year, no reps in practice or no reps for the year for that matter and plays OK in the pouring rain, and you are critiqing him ?

All of you shake your collective heads and breathe ! Really ! It's really scary if you are bashing Rivers in this game. I pray for JP, you guys are really scary !

get a rookie QB ready...

546483[/snapback]

He's getting a little long in the tooth to be called a rookie. And while the lack of playing time was clearly evident in his timing and decision making, there weren't many positives from a physical standpoint, which has to be a bit troubling for SD. His arm looked a bit suspect (as per his draft bio) and he moved around like a young Drew Bledsoe.

What I was looking for was the physical tools to suggest he'll grow into being an effective stater (just like with JP). From here, it looked like Rivers still has a lot of bridges to cross....

546478[/snapback]

The Chargers played the worst NFL schedule - yet posted the best record against the best of the rest.

I blame Marty !

546491[/snapback]

Marty was born to be a bridesmaid.....Has consistently coached teams to decent seasons, but never can get over the hump. It's been the same whether it was when he was the HC of the Browns, Chiefs, and now the Chargers. Don't ask about his playoff record.....much worse......

Must have the tightest collar in the NFL. Besides, never liked old Marty too much and he was a horrible LB for the Bills back in the day as well. One thing he doesn't suffer from is a lack of ego.

Well, at least theres consistency on the board. Rivers was been given about the same amount of playing time as losman before being labeled a bust too. :)

546453[/snapback]

good one....try telling that to a guy with the bird flu.....