Crowell's extension

Tortured Soul

That's insane. Why are we paying Crowell that much? He can't play the middle, he is undersized to play over the TE in Posey's position, and Spikes has the weakside.

In addition, over 2 million a year on a barely adequate LB is just plain business stupid. There are plenty of starters in the league who make a lot less then that who gladly would have come here for that money and done a lot better, and been more versitile.

Un friggen real.

Maybe Spikes is moving to Poseys spot.

545520[/snapback]

:lol::D

somehow i dout that.

spikes will take his spot back next season, Crowell will take Poseys spot, and Posey will get cut.

makes sense to me.

i will really like our LB group next season.

That's insane. Why are we paying Crowell that much?  He can't play the middle, he is undersized to play over the TE in Posey's position, and Spikes has the weakside. 

In addition, over 2 million a year on a barely adequate LB is just plain business stupid.  There are plenty of starters in the league who make a lot less then that who gladly would have come here for that money and done a lot better, and been more versitile.

Un friggen real.

545516[/snapback]

Actually Crowell played both inside and outside at Virginia. One thing that might be happening - a switch to a 3-4 with Spikes or Crowell moving to the inside with Fletcher. LB's are a lot more plentiful than skilled Dt's...

Actually Crowell played both inside and outside at Virginia.  One thing that might be happening - a switch to a 3-4 with Spikes or Crowell moving to the inside with Fletcher.  LB's are a lot more plentiful than skilled Dt's...

545528[/snapback]

Maybe. But how can you do that unless the coach and GM have basically both been told they are here next year and to start working towards that means. That maybe Crowells only hope to play well because otherwise he gets overworked and cannot shed blocks.

The college game and Pros is different. If you remember early in the year when both Fletcher was down, they had Crowell in the middle at first, but he sucked so bad that they moved Spikes over and Crowell outside. Then when Spikes was down and Fletch still out, they shifted Posey into the middle because Crowell was just getting eaten alive.

If we do also, then we had better get a true Nose tackle, who can tieup 2 blockers. In addition, our DE's are too light, and would probably mean Edwards is going back outside where he is probably better suited, as a DE in a 3-4 set.

:lol:  :D

somehow i dout that.

spikes will take his spot back next season, Crowell will take Poseys spot, and Posey will get cut.

makes sense to me.

i will really like our LB group next season.

545526[/snapback]

Crowell will take Poseys spot ? Why ? He has zero experience there. He's filled in for Fletcher at MLB and for Spikes at weakside.

Spikes isn't healing from a paper cut. His return to full strength is FAR from a given, thus the extension.

Maybe.  But how can you do that unless the coach and GM have basically both been told they are here next year and to start working towards that means.  That maybe Crowells only hope to play well because otherwise he gets overworked and cannot shed blocks. 

The college game and Pros is different.  If you remember early in the year when both Fletcher was down, they had Crowell in the middle at first,  but he sucked so bad that they moved Spikes over and Crowell outside.  Then when Spikes was down and Fletch still out, they shifted Posey into the middle because Crowell was just getting eaten alive.

If we do also, then we had better get a true Nose tackle, who can tieup 2 blockers.  In addition, our DE's are too light, and would probably mean Edwards is going back outside where he is probably better suited, as a DE in a 3-4 set.

545531[/snapback]

Well I do think that TD and MM will be back next year - unfortunate for us. Anyway - playing the middle in a 3-4 is not as demanding as doing it in the 4-3 - You never know. Personally, I would move to a 3-4, waive Poasey, give kelsay a shot standing up in Posey's LB spot, move Spikes to the middle and shift Crowell to the weak side. You would lose next to nothing and perhaps find something useful in kelsay...

Well I do think that TD and MM will be back next year - unfortunate for us.  Anyway - playing the middle in a 3-4 is not as demanding as doing it in the 4-3 - You never know.  Personally, I would move to a 3-4, waive Poasey, give kelsay a shot standing up in Posey's LB spot, move Spikes to the middle and shift Crowell to the weak side.  You would lose next to nothing and perhaps find something useful in kelsay...

545533[/snapback]

If we go with a 3-4 I'd keep Posey as he would play well as an OLB ina 3-4. SInce we are not going to a 3-4 cut his you know what! We are not fit for a 3-4 and this would kill the production of Schobel as he is just not cut out to be a 3-4 end or OLB. Now if he didn't get 12 sacks this year or we still had Ted W or Pat Williams then maybe... see too many questions!

If we go with a 3-4 I'd keep Posey as he would play well as an OLB ina 3-4. SInce we are not going to a 3-4 cut his you know what! We are not fit for a 3-4 and this would kill the production of Schobel as he is just not cut out to be a 3-4 end or OLB. Now if he didn't get 12 sacks this year or we still had Ted W or Pat Williams then maybe... see too many questions!

545539[/snapback]

Very good observation, bluv.

I just can't see Schobel being as effective as a 3-4 end, and I don't believe the Bills would do such a move unless they planned to move Schobel to LB, which would be a big mistake.

545539[/snapback]

I can't argue with you on that...though the thought of keeping Posey gives me hives...

I can't argue with you on that...though the thought of keeping Posey gives me hives...

545547[/snapback]

Keeping him as the LOLB in a 3-4, a position in which he performed quite well in Houston, wouldn't give me the hives. Of course, then you'd not only have to find a quality NT (it's not on this roster), but you'd have to have guys who can man the DE spots also. Schobel is not cut out to be a 3-4 end. The only one I think could pull it off would be Denney, but he'd have to play the left side. For these reasons, I just don't see us switching to a 3-4, though I'd love to see it again.

i don't believe the bills have the pieces on the DL to run a base 3-4........DE's don't fit the scheme and they lack a true NT........

this extension to me signals that posey (and his 2.25M cap charge) will be cut......net cap gain for the bills of 500K or so, given crowell's '06 cap charge less posey's dead money.....

money well spent -- crowell will upgrade the position and save cap room in the process......

That's insane. Why are we paying Crowell that much?  He can't play the middle, he is undersized to play over the TE in Posey's position, and Spikes has the weakside. 

In addition, over 2 million a year on a barely adequate LB is just plain business stupid.  There are plenty of starters in the league who make a lot less then that who gladly would have come here for that money and done a lot better, and been more versitile.

Un friggen real.

545516[/snapback]

I didn't see any wink wink in your post so I'll assume your serious here.

1- he has obviously been more than a "barely adequate LB" this year. That's plain ridiculous. He has also improved steadily during the season, especially on shedding blocks.

2- I agree that he may not fit well on the strong side, but I'd be willing to bet he can play the middle in our scheme as well as he plays the WLB, plus he has proven to be a very good ST player. Maybe TKO plays the strong side next year as well.

I didn't see any wink wink in your post so I'll assume your serious here.

1- he has obviously been more than a "barely adequate LB" this year. That's plain ridiculous. He has also improved steadily during the season, especially on shedding blocks.

2- I agree that he may not fit well on the strong side, but I'd be willing to bet he can play the middle in our scheme as well as he plays the WLB, plus he has proven to be a very good ST player. Maybe TKO plays the strong side next year as well.

545601[/snapback]

i think crowell can be a very good LB in the NFL.

he has a good ability to make plays and hits hard.

i think he can definately play on the strong side, he is big and can cover some (granted he needs to develop this), and i think he does a lot more blitzing than milloy does

Posey is 6'4" 241. Crowell is 6' 1" 235. So Crowell is not much smaller than Posey and surely stockier. Posey, while IMO not as terrible and worthless as most fans seem to think, does not shed blocks any better than Crowell does. And most of his plays, when he (infrequently) makes them, are not because of his height advantage, they are because of his speed and athleticism, which Crowell has just as much if not more.

I'm surprised and yet not surprised to see all this bluster about crowell's deal.

BIG FUGGIN DEAL?

Crowell has proven that he's damn good football player who can do a lot of things. He plays smart, he can blitz, he has good hands, and he doesn't get caught out of position. He's fast, he can tackle, and he has proven himself as a starting caliber LB.

2 million per year is PEANUTS - even for your #1 BACKUP LB.

The reaction to this deal is bizarre. Worried about a 3 year 6 million dollar deal? I'm happy to see this. Crowell deserves it, and it's not too much to pay a backup. Everyone gets hissy about Posey but he plays a role in this defense that does not capture many plays. Crowell can play both sides and probably even back up the middle. He's everything you want in a backup LB if we had paid him 3 million per year I wouldn't have sneezed. The reaction to this is funny...